IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

25 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Another view of the Bactris gasipaes where you can see the leaning trunks caused by Hurricane Irma. 

DSC_1351~2.JPG

They sure must be fast growers to already start curving back towards the sun, and have that much trunk in less than 2 years!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bubba said:

This thread is very interesting. What we have in Orlando is a prolific adventure in Zone Pushing! The work of locating and posting these multiple examples is greatly appreciated. 

Exactly!  Even more, we have an artificially elevated USDA zone due to the urban heat island in an area (Orlando metro area) that was already a warm spot for a place so far north and inland on the Fl Peninsula.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

They sure must be fast growers to already start curving back towards the sun, and have that much trunk in less than 2 years!

It is a fast grower. 

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

22 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Neoveitchia storckii , planted spring 2010 at Leu Gardens. 

DSC_1354~2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Amazing! When was it planted in 2010?

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

It was planted in July 2010. I had 3 small ones I had gotten from Floribunda. 2 were planted out in 2009 but killed in the 09-10 winter. The 3rd was kept in the greenhouse so I planted it out and it has grown well since. 

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Sea World 5/4. I thought those were coconuts planted at Infinity Falls but looks like veitchia?

20190504_154550.jpg

20190504_154554.jpg

• Upvote 2

I still believe this is one of the largest Royals in Orlando. Massive trunk. 

20190504_144632.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sea world does a great job pushing the boundaries. New plantings also include autograph plants. 

20190504_174856.jpg

20190504_165831.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Disney planted Clusia by the Living Seas at Epcot. They survived the 2009-10 freeze and still growing well. Also some Seagrapes.  This first photo is very interesting as there is Pinus thunbergii, Japanese Black Pine behind the Clusia. Those have been these since the Living Seas opened in 1986. So here is a temperate conifer surviving for over 30 years mixed with tropicals.

DSC_0927.JPG

DSC_0924~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That is pretty cool Eric.  To my surprise, with my involvement with the bonsai community, I learned that Pinus thunbergii (Japanese black pine) can thrive in warm subtropical and tropical locations such as Orlando, Miami and even Puerto Rico.

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

That is pretty cool Eric.  To my surprise, with my involvement with the bonsai community, I learned that Pinus thunbergii (Japanese black pine) can thrive in warm subtropical and tropical locations such as Orlando, Miami and even Puerto Rico.

Thats the only ones I have seen in ground around here that have survived long term. In the past I had seen others planted out in Asian/Japanese styled gardens but they always died out after 5 years or so. I saw one that lasted about 10. I've never gotten them to grow well here at Leu Gardens.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I posted these Veitchia a couple weeks ago but these are closer and clearer.  Stately palm!

PSX_20190510_172322.jpg

PSX_20190510_172236.jpg

PSX_20190510_172302.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Veitchia IMO are a way better looking palm compared to the Adonidia. Slightly more cold hardy in my experience as well. 

• Upvote 2

For those that were hoping to harvest fruit from the coconut palm outside Charley's Steakhouse on International Drive, it appears it was trimmed up and all the nuts were removed:

20190507193542_InternationalDriveCoconut.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Yeah, they removed them a couple months ago. I get it for safety but think they would have stood a chance! Such a prize palm for Orlando.  I wish the city would identify champion trees and provide them protection when needed. 

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 mature Hyophorbe verschaffeltii in downtown Orlando. They are growing in front of the Suntrust building on Orange Ave. Great example of taking advantage of a super protected microclimate. These 2 had hardly any damage after the 2009-10 winter and were planted about 15 years ago. 

DSC_1563~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A couple more of the Hyophorbe lagenicaulis in planters downtown Orlando. There are several dozen scattered around. 

DSC_1578~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana planted in front of City Hall in downtown Orlando. 

DSC_1576~2.JPG

DSC_1569~2.JPG

DSC_1574~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This group has one Archontophoenix alexandrae mixed in. 

DSC_1567~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

50 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

This group has one Archontophoenix alexandrae mixed in. 

DSC_1567~2.JPG

What is that double in the above photo?

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

What is that double in the above photo?

King palms

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

All of the palms at City Hall are Archontophoenix cunninghamaiana except for one A. alexandrae  which is in the last photo.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A house in College Park on the south side of Lake Fairview. The driveway is lined with Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. 

DSC_1547~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Another house nearby with a giant Delonix regia and Ravenala madagascariensis. 

DSC_1549~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

You didn't see the Thatch palms in downtown Orlando?  I think one of them was seeding out.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

4 hours ago, Jimbean said:

You didn't see the Thatch palms in downtown Orlando?  I think one of them was seeding out.

There is one by a parking garage along with a Roystonea borinquena. I haven't gotten by to photo them. Is there more than 1?

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

55 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

There is one by a parking garage along with a Roystonea borinquena. I haven't gotten by to photo them. Is there more than 1?

I don't remember, I think so.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

Syagrus sancona, in Lake Lancaster area south of downtown Orlando. It was planted around 1993/94. A palm enthusiast used to or still lives there as there are somr 30-40ft Archontophoenix cunninghamiana , and a nice Livistona saribus  and Sabal causiarum. 

DSC_1651~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A house in Thornton Park with a Syagrus schizophylla. Another palm enthusiast as there is also Archontophoenix, Bismarkia, Arenga engleri  and Livistona saribus. 

DSC_1662~3.JPG

DSC_1662~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Fruiting Adonidia by Lake Lancaster. 

DSC_1658~3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A couple more Dypsis lutescens. These are everywhere. 

DSC_1654~2.JPG

DSC_1663~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Lots of noce Wodyetia in the historic Lake Cherokee and Lake Davis neighborhoods south of downtown Orlando. Heres a few. 

DSC_1643~2.JPG

DSC_1640~2.JPG

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a