IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

10 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, those coconuts look pre-2010. I wonder if they’ve been there the whole time or if they were large when they went in. 

Yup. They look spectacular in Orlando.

I guess size matters when it comes to cold hardiness/tolerance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, those coconuts look pre-2010. I wonder if they’ve been there the whole time or if they were large when they went in. 

Good question. There was a very nice coconut that fruited about a quarter mile from here that I know survived 2010 but died Jan 2018. The location of these coconuts are on the SE side of the lake so that helps. Coldest the lake gets is around 60F so that has to help a little. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Good question. There was a very nice coconut that fruited about a quarter mile from here that I know survived 2010 but died Jan 2018. The location of these coconuts are on the SE side of the lake so that helps. Coldest the lake gets is around 60F so that has to help a little. 

Those coconuts are really impressive. One of them looks to have ~20ft of trunk? Not something I expected to see in Orlando!

Thanks for sharing! :greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Another zone 10 palm in the Bear Lake/Lockhart area, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii. Normally this is a colder, open area but there also used to be a decent flowering Delonix regia at a nearby house. It was lost in Hurricane Irma. Sorry its blurry as I was driving. 

DSC_1249~3.JPG

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Roystonea regia growing in Errol Estates, between Apopka and Zellwood. 

DSC_1266~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Wow,  Errol Estates is quite far NW of Orlando.

Yep, and that area is relatively undeveloped, at least outside of the immediate neighborhood.  With 429 going through there I'm sure it will expand, but right now most of the area to the NW is open fields and large lots.  There's not a lot of "urban heat island" around there.  I'd guess it's around the same temperatures as my place, I have Wekiwa springs and Seminole State forest just to my NW.  Royals in that area seem like they are due for a short lifespan...?

• Upvote 1

Thats what I was wondering too, how long those Royals would last. Thats an open, cold location. Not too far away I found this nice sized Tabebuia aurea growing. These are more cold sensitive than the common Tabs found around in Orlando. They are hardier than Royal Poinciana but more tender than Jacaranda. 

DSC_1263~2.JPG

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Also, further northwest is the town of Howie-in-the-Hills. The Howie Mansion os out there and is being restored. It was built from 1925-1927. Here are a couple pics from sometime after completion. There are several Royal Palms planted at it including 2 rather tall ones. I wonder how long these all lasted? They would have definitely been killed out in the 1957-58 freeze, if they had survived until then. 

8019421758_318cef4557_o.jpg

{6AD6841F-DB47-4F4E-8ABA-F9032C685BDB}.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

When I stayed at a resort and golf course in Howie in the Hills with my parents in the 1999-2000 timeframe, there was a large royal palm in a courtyard that looked pretty rough, but alive.  Pretty much as expected that far north, despite the sheltered spot.

• Upvote 1

Another surprise, 2 Coconuts planted in Tangerine.  This is located between Zellwood and Mt. Dora. They will be shortlived. 

DSC_1278~2.JPG

DSC_1277~2.JPG

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Also in Tangerine, some larger clumps of Dypsis lutescens . If you look close there are some dead trunks in them. Probably casualties from winter 2017-18. It was probably 25-26f out there. 

DSC_1276~3.JPG

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Archontophoenix myolensis at Leu Gardens

archmy2.jpg

archmy1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Mature Pandanus tectorius at Leu Gardens...

pandtec1.jpg

pandtec2.jpg

pandtec3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, is this a Ficus species or a Southern magnolia growing against/on this Sabal palmetto?  If it is a Ficus, it doesn’t look specifically familiar.  It is located near a new condo development in Audubon Park.

2A09506D-1A4C-4108-B200-8B9CC62A5207.jpeg

FA7E5A24-6C1D-459D-97D7-3FB5653BD2A5.jpeg

Edited by palmsOrl

4 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Eric, is this a Ficus species or a Southern magnolia growing against/on this Sabal palmetto?  If it is a Ficus, it doesn’t look specifically familiar.  It is located near a new condo development in Audubon Park.

2A09506D-1A4C-4108-B200-8B9CC62A5207.jpeg

FA7E5A24-6C1D-459D-97D7-3FB5653BD2A5.jpeg

Southern magnolia

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

Not a great photo, but a small Cocos nucifera and H. lagencaulis in a front yard near Lake Highland.

B4A4FE68-62AA-4F9E-AB65-8BFCA5ECFF68.jpeg

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 1

Also a poor picture, due to the time of day, a single Adonidia a little further up on the same street in Orlando.

6835C5DE-D012-4AF9-8CD5-579CB7459386.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Took this Archontophoenix (?) the other day at I-Drive 360, right by the parking garage. Was planted about 3 years ago. Great siting against the concrete wall. 

20190425_160239.jpg

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Took this Archontophoenix (?) the other day at I-Drive 360, right by the parking garage. Was planted about 3 years ago. Great siting against the concrete wall. 

Those are some nice Veitchia !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

52 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

20190425_160239.jpg

They did a nice job landscaping that plaza. I was there a few months ago and recall some other interesting palms growing there in addition to those veitchia.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

20190425_160239.jpg

Walking by these is certainly a joy.  I-Drive = lots of money + urban heat island so you get some really nice specimens there that are integrated very well with the surroundings.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Also a poor picture, due to the time of day, a single Adonidia a little further up on the same street in Orlando.

6835C5DE-D012-4AF9-8CD5-579CB7459386.jpeg

That Adonidia is a 2009-10 survivor. It was in a triple clump. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

20190425_160239.jpg

Very cool! Those are Veitchia , probably V. arecina. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ptychosperma elegans back in Windsong in Winter Park. 

DSC_1316~3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A triple stem specimen of Adonidia that survies the 2009-10 freeze, in Winter Park. 

DSC_1317~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Did a 5k run this morning, saw a few nice specimens in Winter Park. 

A couple Dypsis lutescens... 

DSC_1354~2.JPG

DSC_1325~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Caryota mitis along the historic Genius Drive nature preserve. 

DSC_1335~2.JPG

DSC_1332~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Roystonea regia 

DSC_1351~2.JPG

Time to irrigate and fertilize those big time.  With those kind of resources, no reason not to have them looking their best.

Smashburger coconuts 1 year apart (post freeze 2018 vs April 2019)  I didn't get close but the left one may have maturing fruit. They came up September timeframe. 

Screenshot_20190427-160350_Gallery.jpg

20190427_152513.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

They should really develop a nice crown this summer and fruit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Bactris gasipaes at Leu Gardens.  Planted June 1994.

DSC_1352~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Copernicia hospita, planted June 1995 at Leu Gardens. 

DSC_1353~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

12 hours ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

@Eric in Orlando, tell me more about your experience with Bactris gasipaes!!!!

When that Bactris was planted it was under heavy tree canopy from 2 laurel oaks. One of the trees broke apart around 2012 in a storm and the other came down in Hurricane Irma in 2017. So now the palm is in the open. Those 2 taller trunks both have a sharp lean to them, also because of Irma.

It was killed back after the winter of 1995-96 and also in 2000-01. The absolute low in 95-96 was 26F and in 00-01 was 27F. But it grew back very fast. It was defoliated in 2009-10. Last year after one night of 28F it has severe foliage burn but grew back fast. I have since planted a few others out under tree canopy. They grow fast but will get killed back below 27-28F. But they will regenerate fast.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This thread is very interesting. What we have in Orlando is a prolific adventure in Zone Pushing! The work of locating and posting these multiple examples is greatly appreciated. 

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

Another view of the Bactris gasipaes where you can see the leaning trunks caused by Hurricane Irma. 

DSC_1351~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a