IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

On 4/4/2019 at 12:43 PM, Jimbean said:

What about plumerias?  How big are they in Orlando?

I see some bigger plumeria around in the warmer areas, 6-9ft. Last winter tipped them back a a few inches. Ones in more open areas froze back further. I have a yellow,  probably 'Aztec Gold' at my house in Altamonte Springs about 7ft tall doing well. I have a white P. obtusa to plant out this year. They are a bit hardier than P. rubra types. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 4/4/2019 at 11:45 AM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Are the Wodyetias at Epcot relatively new? I remember mostly queens around Spaceship Earth. 

Rhey have been there for maybe 5 years. There used to be queen palms around the fountain. As they are dying out they are being replaced with foxtails. 

DSC_0916~2.JPG

DSC_0915~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 4/4/2019 at 2:34 PM, Matthew92 said:

Those last 2 will probably have to be removed soon. The new spears are already pushing against and away from the building- I wonder what the thinking was putting them right under. Maybe when they first got planted there they didn't expect them to last that long.

I was out there yesterday morning for the Star Wars 5k and noticed the one closest to Spaceship Earth is touching it. They should have used Adonidia here. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A large Ficus aurea at Epcot near the Living Seas. 

DSC_0921~2.JPG

DSC_0919~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ficus benjamina at Epcot next to China in the African market area. 

DSC_0898~2.JPG

DSC_0897~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

5 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

That F. benjamina truly is of a size you would see in the deep tropics.

I hate to burst your bubble but I see that all over Brevard, in areas that I would classify as 9B

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

10 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

A large Ficus aurea at Epcot near the Living Seas. 

DSC_0921~2.JPG

DSC_0919~2.JPG

Decent size, but not an indicator of a zone 10A.  I should post some picture of some ficuses here to show you what a big ficus looks like here.  I have seen Ficus aurea twice that size in 9B areas of Brevard.  I will have to admit though, those ficuses are impressive for Orange county. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

2 hours ago, Jimbean said:

I hate to burst your bubble but I see that all over Brevard, in areas that I would classify as 9B

I get the impression you're a little more conservative than average on zones. I can't point to any sizable f benjamina in parts of Tampa I believe is 9b.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

How does the hardiness of Ficus benjamina compare with Ficus benghalensis?  Roughly the same?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

How does the hardiness of Ficus benjamina compare with Ficus benghalensis?  Roughly the same?

F. benjamina is a little more tender than F. benghalensis. Winters like 2009-10 will cause limb dieback in F. benjamina but only foliage burn in F. benghalensis. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

16 hours ago, Jimbean said:

I would consider that to be a large F. benjamina if it were in Singapore.  They may get even much larger than that, but that is still a large tree.  Also, it will take a good number of more years of overall 10a winters to start getting truly massive tropical trees.  They will also get nipped back by freezes here and there, so that will slow down the process.  

Our average zone in Orlando using the past 30 years of data is 10a.  I believe most of this is the urban heat island effect and being in a warmer spot than many surrounding areas to begin with.  

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 1

Those Epcot Ficus trees have been there for around 25 years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a Ficus altissima 'Variegata' growing in Winter Springs at the Black Hammock restaurant on the south side of Lake Jessup. Its been there at least 10 years but has started losing some variegation. It is behind a service fence so could only see part of the trunk. 

DSC_1099~2.JPG

DSC_1100~3.JPG

DSC_1101~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

55 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Those Epcot Ficus trees have been there for around 25 years. 

If I’m not mistaken, there’s a big Ficus binnendijkii at Epcot too. That one is my favorite ficus in the park.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

If I’m not mistaken, there’s a big Ficus binnendijkii at Epcot too. That one is my favorite ficus in the park.

Yes, it was in the jungle next to the Mexican pyramid. It was removed a couple years ago., not sure why. They also removed the big Ceiba pentandra recently.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

11 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Yes, it was in the jungle next to the Mexican pyramid. It was removed a couple years ago., not sure why. They also removed the big Ceiba pentandra recently.

:crying:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Same photo, 2 yrs apart. Good growth overall. Bottle palms are very underrated. Great looking palm for a smaller footprint. 

IMG_2019-04-07_20-52-14.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Same photo, 2 yrs apart. Good growth overall. Bottle palms are very underrated. Great looking palm for a smaller footprint. 

IMG_2019-04-07_20-52-14.JPG

I don't know why they would be underrated. Folks tend to do a doubletake on bottlepalms. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

@GottmitAlex I always do too. Striking alone but I like them best planted as a focal point of a landscape. They are just not as common as other z10 plants here, nurseries or box stores. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Several dozen Roystonea regia planted at a gate entrance and lining a long driveway. Theae are in Winter Springs on the south side of Lake Jessup north of Oviedo. They do not appear to get irrigated or fertilized so aren't going to last long in that condition. 

DSC_1097~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I am not familiar with those.  Are they also near Black Hammock?  The crowns do not appear to be very robust.  Perhaps they would benefit from supplemental feedings and irrigation...

I'm in Winter Springs off Tuskawilla Road, South of State Road 434.  Where are these in relation to my location?  Just wondering...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

They are on Black Hammock Rd., go north and then it makes a sharp curve going east, towards the restaurant 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This Wodyetia is growing at a hotel near I4 and 436 in Altamonte Springs. It is in an open exposed, north facing loction. It has been there since 2009, maybe older. It saw about 25-26f in the 2009-10 winter, it was severely burned but came back. It also saw around 26-27f in Jan. 2018, mostly defoliated but also grew back. 

DSC_1119~4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Not a palm; mature Spathodea campanulata, African Tulip Tree flowering in Winter Park near Mead Gardens. 

DSC_1130~2.JPG

DSC_1127~3.JPG

DSC_1128~4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

King Palm in Belle Isle. This one lost almost all fronds to the Jan 2018 freeze. It grew out faster than my coconut did. 

20190413_221346.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 4/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

King Palm in Belle Isle. This one lost almost all fronds to the Jan 2018 freeze. It grew out faster than my coconut did. 

20190413_221346.jpg

That’s amazing.  My roughly 10-12 ft. king palm barely had tip burn (virtually no damage) during the freezes of 2010.  I have no idea which variety it is, but it is still at my parent’s old house.  You can see the tall palms at the house, 620 E. Horatio Ave. Maitland, Fl 32751.

I saw two trunking and undamaged Cocos in the south facing front yard of a house near a north/south road just west of the Orlando Executive Airport.  I need to get a photo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

That’s amazing.  My roughly 10-12 ft. king palm barely had tip burn (virtually no damage) during the freezes of 2010.  I have no idea which variety it is, but it is still at my parent’s old house.  You can see the tall palms at the house, 620 E. Horatio Ave. Maitland, Fl 32751.

I saw two trunking and undamaged Cocos in the south facing front yard of a house near a north/south road just west of the Orlando Executive Airport.  I need to get a photo.

Nice! I'm not sure which variety King this one is. I'm glad it recovered. I've been watching those coconuts for a couple years. They are under a canopy so have a little natural protection. They are young but had no damage from the freeze. Great siting!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I stopped by the Hindu Center and took a look at the two Coconuts they have on the side street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3260458,-81.3992735,3a,75y,266.17h,89.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6WTZzPBx-qjxgrnWBk2dGw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

They both look pretty decent, though there's definitely some cold damage that they are growing out of.  Neither are getting irrigation or fertilization that I can see, but both are pushing a pretty decent looking spear that should open soon.  Neither were in great nutritional health back in October-November, so some of the yellowing on the leaflets is just lack of fertilizer.

Hindu Center coconut 041819 2.jpg

Hindu Center coconut 041819.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Here is a Wodyetia in a cold pocket. It is along 434 by Bear Lake Rd. in the Lockhart area. I have watched it for a few years after it became visible above the 10ft wall. It was defoliated in the 2017-18 winter but grew back and is now fruiting. 

DSC_1245~2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Another Wodyetia in a cold spot of the Bear Lake /Lockhart area. 

DSC_1248~3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

37 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Was on Lake Conway today. Found some large coconuts, kings, and royals lake front. 

20190420_174806.jpg

20190420_174830.jpg

20190420_175357.jpg

20190420_174843.jpg

The most impressive for the Orlando area so far.  I think I see a triple Veitchia in the second to last photo.  That’s a zone 10 if I’ve ever seen one.

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Was on Lake Conway today. Found some large coconuts, kings, and royals lake front. 

Wow, those coconuts look pre-2010. I wonder if they’ve been there the whole time or if they were large when they went in. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1