IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

Great photos. I love how they line the palm with orchids. I always wondered how long that took!

• Upvote 1

Here is a short video of my adonidia merrillii and coconut this weekend. The lowest frond on the coconut is the last push of damage from Jan 2018. So with a kind winter, it took 12 months to rebuild the crown. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

As somebody who has always pushed boundaries in numerous zones, I'm pretty aware of the risks! :rolleyes: Both actually did survive 28F last winter.

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Here is a short video of my adonidia merrillii and coconut this weekend. The lowest frond on the coconut is the last push of damage from Jan 2018. So with a kind winter, it took 12 months to rebuild the crown. 

Thwy are growing back nicely! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

3 hours ago, donalt said:

fullsizeoutput_315.jpeg

Thats a good one! 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

11 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Thats a good one! 

Any idea what it is? F benghalensis? 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

3 hours ago, donalt said:

as palms go, this beauty cocos nucifera can be found at Sea World by the dolphin feeding area.

Those are really nice queens too.

• Upvote 1

as palms go, this beauty cocos nucifera can be found at Sea World by the dolphin feeding area.    

those are nice queens, indeed ! when queens are well cared for, they can be outstandingly beautiful. still, nothing beats royals for stunning and dramatic palm beauty ! these pictured line a pond at a duplex development off Bumby just south of Gore Street, Orlando.

0AuZk59ETTS4Lj6cEIBM5A.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

one more for the night....these beautiful queens fill the courtyard at Conway Lakes Rehab Center, Orlando. 

fullsizeoutput_23a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Any idea what it is? F benghalensis? 

Ficus elastica

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Ficus elastica

Thanks, I would have thought the leaves on an elastica would be darker...  A semi-mature f elastica is impressive for Orlando. I understand they’re fairly cold sensitive for ficus. :)

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

9 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Thanks, I would have thought the leaves on an elastica would be darker...  A semi-mature f elastica is impressive for Orlando. I understand they’re fairly cold sensitive for ficus. :)

I haven't noticed them much more sensitive than other "banyan" type Ficus. Of the common Ficus, F. benjamina seems the most sensitive.

There are some F. elastica around here getting large. There is a big one just east of downtown Orlando at the Red Cross building .'ll have to get a photo. This is probably the most common Ficus around Orlando as it is so commonly available as a house plant. Often it is planted wayyyyyyy to close to houses as people think its a cute lil plant and don't realize it gets huge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

12 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I found it to be one of the most cold-hardy of ficuses.  

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

Here is a Ficus elastica at the Red Cross on Bumby just north of the 408 tollroad. 

DSC_1003~2.JPG

DSC_1004~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

55 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is a Ficus elastica at the Red Cross on Bumby just north of the 408 tollroad. 

DSC_1003~2.JPG

DSC_1004~2.JPG

That's still pretty small by Brevard county and southward standards.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

The oldest Hyophorbe lagenicaulis that I know of in the Orlando area. It was planted around 1994/95. It was small, maybe 1-2ft and this was before they became commonly available at box stores. It survived the 1995-96 winter and also 2001 and 2009-10. After 2009-10 it was stunted for awhile bit grew out of it. It doesn't look like it gets as good of care now as it used to. 

DSC_1000~3.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Coccothrinax argentata and Thrinax radiata near Leu Gardens. 

DSC_1005~2.JPG

DSC_0990~4.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

22 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

The oldest Hyophorbe lagenicaulis that I know of in the Orlando area. It was planted around 1994/95. It was small, maybe 1-2ft and this was before they became commonly available at box stores. It survived the 1995-96 winter and also 2001 and 2009-10. After 2009-10 it was stunted for awhile bit grew out of it. It doesn't look like it gets as good of care now as it used to. 

DSC_1000~3.JPG

Pretty remarkable, as I remember recording 17F at my parent’s house in Altamonte Springs in Feb. 1996.  That was a really cold microclimate.

Around that time, my parents were on a trip to South Florida, and they wanted to find an unusual “exotic” palm for me, so they brought me back a little Cyrtostachys renda.  We planted it in the ground and needless to say, it didn’t last long!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/31/2019 at 5:08 PM, donalt said:

fullsizeoutput_315.jpeg

This certainly rivals ones you would see in South Fl and Hawaii.  Is this at a house on a little lake just off Colonial Dr. near downtown?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

This certainly rivals ones you would see in South Fl and Hawaii.  Is this at a house on a little lake just off Colonial Dr. near downtown?

No I have seen them get bigger than that here.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Pretty remarkable, as I remember recording 17F at my parent’s house in Altamonte Springs in Feb. 1996.  That was a really cold microclimate.

Around that time, my parents were on a trip to South Florida, and they wanted to find an unusual “exotic” palm for me, so they brought me back a little Cyrtostachys renda.  We planted it in the ground and needless to say, it didn’t last long!

WOW, we had 26f at Leu Gardens in Feb. 1996, the coldest temperature since the 12/89 freeze.

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I remember, it was a regular red “mercury” thermometer on side of my parents house, right up against the house, but it definitely read 17F when I was up at like 6:30am.  We had a line of like 5 citrus trees in another part of the yard, on which we had positioned a sprinkler all night.  They were basically all weighted to the ground encased in a solid block of ice that morning.  I believe I was in Fifth grade at the time and later that day there was some ice on the sidewalk at school that lasted until well after noon.  I thought it was so fascinating.

12 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I remember, it was a regular red “mercury” thermometer on side of my parents house, right up against the house, but it definitely read 17F when I was up at like 6:30am.  We had a line of like 5 citrus trees in another part of the yard, on which we had positioned a sprinkler all night.  They were basically all weighted to the ground encased in a solid block of ice that morning.  I believe I was in Fifth grade at the time and later that day there was some ice on the sidewalk at school that lasted until well after noon.  I thought it was so fascinating.

what part of Altamonte Springs?

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A house in Colonialtown neighborhood with a Roystonea regia and several nice Ravenala madagascariensis. 

DSC_0995~2.JPG

DSC_0996~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Another nice Ravenala madagascariensis in the Colonialtown neighborhood. 

DSC_0994~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Adonidia at Disney's Epcot by Spaceship Earth. 

DSC_0894~2.JPG

DSC_0893~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Also Wodyetia by Spaceship Earth. 

DSC_0891~2.JPG

DSC_0890~2.JPG

DSC_0892~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Please keep this going! It is amazing to see the diverse and large number of palms and foliage. This is incredible zone pushing. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

What you look for is what is looking

Are the Wodyetias at Epcot relatively new? I remember mostly queens around Spaceship Earth. 

• Upvote 1

Jim, my grandma has one in the ground, the trunk of which is about 10” in diameter.   It was about 15” tall and had a lovely shape with numerous branches before the January 2018 freeze.  This freeze took it down to just a trunk and a few stubs, so it is obvious that the branches are quite cold sensitive, so I doubt we will be seeing many really large ones in the Orlando area anytime soon, except perhaps in the most sheltered areas downtown.

That said, I see tons of small 1-4” plumeria from recent cuttings.

5 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Also Wodyetia by Spaceship Earth. 

Those last 2 will probably have to be removed soon. The new spears are already pushing against and away from the building- I wonder what the thinking was putting them right under. Maybe when they first got planted there they didn't expect them to last that long.

Edited by Matthew92
  • Upvote 1