IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

I was out at Disney at Magic Kingdom. Here are a few things I saw. 

This Satakentia has been planted in the past year. It is growing in front of Pirates of the Caribbean. 

DSC_0501~2.JPG

DSC_0503~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This Hyophorbe lagenicaulis is in Adventureland. It has been here for around 20 years now. 

DSC_0467~2.JPG

DSC_0469~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Some Wodyetia at each side of rhe entrance to Crystal Palace restaurant. They replaced the Queen Palms that had always been there. 

DSC_0462~2.JPG

DSC_0463~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Licuala ramsayi from the boat on the Jungle Cruise. There is also a huge clump of Licuala spinosa behind it but I couldn't get a photo. 

DSC_0476~2.JPG

DSC_0475~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

5 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

This Hyophorbe lagenicaulis is in Adventureland. It has been here for around 20 years now. 

I think that might be the best looking one in all of Orlando. That palm was one of the first that got me to be aware of zone 10 stuff succeeding in Orlando. I remember observing it during 2010-11 and I want to say it had very minimal or maybe even no damage after that winter. Unless they specifically protected it, I think that area in Adventureland must be a microclimate because there are some very tall queens nearby that look old enough to be from the 70's.

5 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Some Wodyetia at each side of rhe entrance to Crystal Palace restaurant. They replaced the Queen Palms that had always been there. 

If I remember right these took heavy damage in 2010. I remember thinking back then it was a poor choice to have such a tender palm in that prominent of a location. But with these mild winters keeping on- that's turned out to not be the case. 

Looking at vintage WDW video- it's been interesting taking note of the landscaping over the year in the parks. I would have thought that they would have been uber-cautious to plant tender stuff right after having been burned so many times in the 80's. I think they did to some extent, and yet in Epcot- I saw footage in multiple years throughout the 80's of newly planted queen palms around the fountain area in Future World including 1990 which would have possibly been the 3rd time replacing them. I guess there was a point where they didn't care (and they had the money) and were determined to continue having queens there even if it meant treating them like annuals sometimes. And then today, we've come full circle and there are established foxtails there.

5a5ba039a9954_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.c534a56f6f7e76be77b57a592c3389af.png

^Not sure of exact date of above picture- definitely sometime in the 80's: source

Today

IMG_3026.thumb.JPG.ce4ee6c6cc29adfcffd1b6e90a75147c.JPG

Edited by Matthew92
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Not a palm but here is a big Pandanus utilis in Tomorrowland by the Buzz Lightyear ride. Its been there for about 20 years. Itts fowering and is a male. There used to be another across from it but it is now gone. It was a huge specimen and female. Maybe it was too messy with the big fruits. 

DSC_0515~2.JPG

DSC_0512~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Behind it are some recently planted Mast Trees, Polyalthia longifolia. 

DSC_0516.JPG

DSC_0517.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

11 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I was out at Disney at Magic Kingdom. Here are a few things I saw. 

This Satakentia has been planted in the past year. It is growing in front of Pirates of the Caribbean. 

DSC_0501~2.JPG

DSC_0503~2.JPG

Eric, love these palms. Do these do well in Orlando and what is their growth rate? Very tropical looking with the long fronds and kinda have a coconut vibe. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

I think that might be the best looking one in all of Orlando. That palm was one of the first that got me to be aware of zone 10 stuff succeeding in Orlando. I remember observing it during 2010-11 and I want to say it had very minimal or maybe even no damage after that winter. Unless they specifically protected it, I think that area in Adventureland must be a microclimate because there are some very tall queens nearby that look old enough to be from the 70's.

If I remember right these took heavy damage in 2010. I remember thinking back then it was a poor choice to have such a tender palm in that prominent of a location. But with these mild winters keeping on- that's turned out to not be the case. 

Looking at vintage WDW video- it's been interesting taking note of the landscaping over the year in the parks. I would have thought that they would have been uber-cautious to plant tender stuff right after having been burned so many times in the 80's. I think they did to some extent, and yet in Epcot- I saw footage in multiple years throughout the 80's of newly planted queen palms around the fountain area in Future World including 1990 which would have possibly been the 3rd time replacing them. I guess there was a point where they didn't care (and they had the money) and were determined to continue having queens there even if it meant treating them like annuals sometimes. And then today, we've come full circle and there are established foxtails there.

5a5ba039a9954_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.c534a56f6f7e76be77b57a592c3389af.png

^Not sure of exact date of above picture- definitely sometime in the 80's: source

Today

IMG_3026.thumb.JPG.ce4ee6c6cc29adfcffd1b6e90a75147c.JPG

The best Hyophorbe lagenicaulis I have seen is down by Lake Underhill. It was planted around 1994 and survived the '95-96 freezes and also all others since. 

Disney always used the Queen Palms even after the '80s freezes. They were cheap and easy to get replacements from SoFL. And after each of the 3 freezes you didn't think there would be another one. Thankfully after '89 it hasn't happened again. Disney is moving away from using so many Queens now because of the fusarium.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

13 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Eric, love these palms. Do these do well in Orlando and what is their growth rate? Very tropical looking with the long fronds and kinda have a coconut vibe. 

We have several planted around at Leu that survived 2009-10. They aren't as hardy as Wodyetia or Roystonea but are hardier than Adonidia. Unless they are in a courtyard or in between buildings I would plant them with some overhead canopy. They also need irrigation during dry periods. They don't have much drought tolerance.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 2/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

The Orlando I-Drive coconut on 2/15/19. In a different thread it was confirmed this was planted about 10-11 years ago. Loaded with fruit right now. Also foxtails and Christmas Palms surrounding it. 

PSX_20190215_121632.jpg

And as someone predicted, the landscapers cut off the coconuts. Palm looks great but all fruit has been removed. They were probably at 4 inches diameter too.

• Upvote 1

I love that Cocos!^  Without the dead fronds I’ll bet it looks just as good as many in South FL.

Nice American Way specimens too.

• Like 1

Here is an Adonidia a few blocks from Leu Gardens. It is on the south side of a 2 story house and survived the 2009-10 winter. Its about 8ft tall. There was one a few houses down that was around 12ft. It died in 09/10 but always produced fruit. 

DSC_0541~2.JPG

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis that survived 09/10. This is just north of Florida Hospital in Orwin Manor. 

DSC_0526~2.JPG

DSC_0526~4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I love that Cocos!^  Without the dead fronds I’ll bet it looks just as good as many in South FL.

Nice American Way specimens too.

All cleaned up

20190227_142026.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

A few of the many Wodyetia I see driving to work everyday. There are all a few blocks from Leu Gardens. The first pic is a block from the main gates and are loaded with fruit. The 3rd and 4th pic are a block from the Orlando Museum of Art. There is also Adonidia that fruit, planted in 2010.

DSC_0546~3.JPG

DSC_0540~2.JPG

DSC_0547~2.JPG

DSC_0548~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Adonidia and Hyophorbe verschaffeltii

DSC_0530~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Archontophoenix alexandrae and A. cunninghamiana

DSC_0535~2.JPG

DSC_0558~3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Orlando is looking pretty tropical! The big box stores have helped in the trend to plant zone 10 stuff for sure. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Reeverse said:

Orlando is looking pretty tropical! The big box stores have helped in the trend to plant zone 10 stuff for sure. 

all could be wiped out in a 24 hour period

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Brevard County, Fl

6 hours ago, Jimbean said:

all could be wiped out in a 24 hour period

Yeah but that won’t be nearly as common because the absolute lows won’t be as severe as in the past in the metro area.

I noticed a couple large Ptychosperma elegans in front of an office building on the north side of the road on Fairbanks Ave. between I4 and 17-92 today, that I had never noticed before.  It is a double and they have to easily be 35-40 feet tall so they have been there a long time.  They look just as healthy as the ones I see in South Florida too.  Will have to see if I can get some photos soon.

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Yeah but that won’t be nearly as common because the absolute lows won’t be as severe as in the past in the metro area.

I noticed a couple large Ptychosperma elegans in front of an office building on the north side of the road on Fairbanks Ave. between I4 and 17-92 today, that I had never noticed before.  It is a double and they have to easily be 35-40 feet tall so they have been there a long time.  They look just as healthy as the ones I see in South Florida too.  Will have to see if I can get some photos soon.

Those have been there since around 1993/94. There ised to be more but previous owners didn't irrigate for awhile and some also got nitrient deficiencies. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 2/27/2019 at 3:21 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

All cleaned up

20190227_142026.jpg

Considering this Cocos’ VERY large size for the area, and the fact that it looks fairly healthy, I’d say this is overall the nicest Cocos specimen in the Orlando area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Considering this Cocos’ VERY large size for the area, and the fact that it looks fairly healthy, I’d say this is overall the nicest Cocos specimen in the Orlando area.

Perhaps. I think the Bob Marley's coconut might rival it although that had the benefit of being in a more protected spot. 

• Upvote 1

A couple Dypsis lutescens along Wymore at old houses turned into offices and one in the neighborhood by Florida Hospital. All are in the open, no overhead canopy. 

DSC_0537~3.JPG

DSC_0536~2.JPG

DSC_0527~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wodyetia growing in the open by Dubsdread golf course and next to I4. 

DSC_0539~3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A few non palms... a couple Ravenala madagascariensis in Orwin Manor neighborhood by Florida Hospital. 

DSC_0531~2.JPG

DSC_0529~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Cycas rumphii and Dracaena arborea

DSC_0543~2.JPG

DSC_0532~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 2/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, palmsOrl said:

This house off of Hampton Ave. has some amazing palms!!!

59C952E7-7F88-486A-9CD1-93946FE081E4.jpeg

0FF84204-635F-405E-AB41-50378FB49843.jpeg

This house is a few blocks south of Leu Gardens. There were a couple tall Carpentaria but they died in 2009/10. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 2/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, palmsOrl said:

This house off of Hampton Ave. has some amazing palms!!!

59C952E7-7F88-486A-9CD1-93946FE081E4.jpeg

0FF84204-635F-405E-AB41-50378FB49843.jpeg

This house is a few blocks south of Leu Gardens. There were a couple tall Carpentaria but they died in 2009/10. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

11 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Cycas rumphii and Dracaena arborea

DSC_0543~2.JPG

That's an impressive cluster of Rumphii!!!  I just picked up a Circinalis/Rumphii/Thouarsii cheap with about 2 feet of thick trunk.  It was sold to me as a "Queen Sago" and I couldn't immediately tell which it was.  Either way I was happy with the size and price, but I'll have to find a BIG semi-sheltered spot for it!  Where in the Orlando area is that monster clump?

• Upvote 1

Its a couple blocks north of Leu Gardens on the east side of Lake Rowena along Lakeside Drive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The biggest Cycas rumphii I have ever seen is at Magic Kingdom at Disney. Its growing in Adventureland nd is an original planting from opening in 1971. So is the Phoenix hybrid. 

DSC_0466~2.JPG

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

What a great thread! I was with a friend near Bay Hill, who pointed out a large full grown tree (40 foot +) about this time last year. It was covered with red flowers and really beautiful. I was not sure then but now I am almost certain that it was an African Tulip Tree (Spathodea campanulata). He also has one very old and knarly Meleuca but it does not appear invasive up in Orlando.

How many other tropical flowering trees are now established in Orlando? Delonix regia, Cassia fistula, etc as well as ficus establishment? What about tropical fruits like Barbado’s Cherry, Sapota, etc. Hey Eric !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Its a couple blocks north of Leu Gardens on the east side of Lake Rowena along Lakeside Drive.

Thanks for the location!  It looks like it is in full blazing sun for most of the day.  That definitely helps my placement choices!

• Upvote 1