IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor on the Georgia/South Carolina Line

JLeVert

On Sunday, I was out running the off-road bike trails in the Sumter National Forest in Edgefield County, SC about twenty minutes from Augusta, Ga, and ran up on this beautiful colony of Sabal minor.  Minors are actually pretty common in inundation and seepage areas in the forest, but can be found on steep slopes well away from obvious water sources.  This colony was at 285' in elevation or a little less since I was up above them to take the picture.  On some of the other trails, the colonies are even more extensive.

R%v15YdaS0SD1aGGNhfD7Q.jpg

ex4bHwdwTZO%kNybS4BmKw.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Beautiful habitat photos. Might be fun exploring close before weed & bug season gets here. You might find a undiscovered variety.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Nice pictures and great find! It's interesting how Sabal minor seem to cling to the moist areas of the forest. Yet, like you said, they also can grow in drier areas. One of the most interesting areas I have seen Sabal minor growing wild was in a pine savanna also in South Carolina. There was no water sources that I could see and it seemed pretty dry, yet there were scattered Sabal minor. 

PalmTreeDude

Great pics Joe. Down here in the lowcountry there are thousands of pockets of minors. You can drive around & you'll find a colony with small minors, nothing for a mile or two & then another colony with totally different looking minors. Some colonies have thousands & some are lucky to have 50.

Right Laaz.  Same here in Georgia.  Right across the river from Augusta is Gum Swamp.  The minors are in the thousands!  Sometimes I think that they are missing in certain areas because agricultural interests used the land and wiped out the minor and lots of other stuff as well.

• Like 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Wonderful pictures of Sabal minor. Would be nice to grow Sabal minor in the forests here in Germany too but I think summer heat and sun are missing.

Started to built up my own S. minor collection (actually only three different ones) as this could be a palm I can grow outside besides the Trachies. 
I'm always checking the Inet for new seeds.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

6 hours ago, JLeVert said:

Right Laaz.  Same here in Georgia.  Right across the river from Augusta is Gum Swamp.  The minors are in the thousands!  Sometimes I think that they are missing in certain areas because agricultural interests used the land and wiped out the minor and lots of other stuff as well.

Same here in NC. In some counties, Sabal minor is listed as an invasive weed while in others counties Sabal minor has been displaced from habitat disruption. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC