IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attaleinae and the origin of Cocos Nucifera

abdalav

Cocos nucifera, that people believe was originated somewhere between the pacific and the indian ocean and was only brought to America in the 1500s, belongs to the Attaleinae subtribe.

Most of the Attaleinae genera are native to the Americas, with the exception of two african monotypic genera (Jubaeopsis and Voanioala). Why the coconut tree evolved to its present form so far from its closest relatives?

Is it possible that the coconut doesn't belong to the Attaleinae? Or that it was originated in the Atlantic?

5 minutes ago, abdalav said:

Cocos nucifera, that people believe was originated somewhere between the pacific and the indian ocean and was only brought to America in the 1500s, belongs to the Attaleinae subtribe.

Most of the Attaleinae genera are native to the Americas, with the exception of two african monotypic genera (Jubaeopsis and Voanioala). Why the coconut tree evolved to its present form so far from its closest relatives?

Is it possible that the coconut doesn't belong to the Attaleinae? Or that it was originated in the Atlantic?

I've heard there are those that believe it actually originated in South America as well as the commonly accepted theory that it originated in the south Pacific.  I'm not an expert by any means, though.

This reading might be of interest to you: https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/26936/usnh_0014.02.pdf

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I am no expert on this topic by any means,  but awhile back I once heard this theory that indigenous Americans traded with the Polynesians and thus they were growing coconuts before the arrival of the Europeans. 

I guess this theory could be possible. Once i’ve heard that archeologists found Serenoa reprens in indigenous trash pits as far north as Minnesota, which without a doubt originally came from the Deep South. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

My question lies in the fact that most Attaleinae are from South and Central Americas, while a few of them are from the South of the Indian Ocean. How come the coconuts evolved so far from its closest relatives?

I'm no expert either, I'm just a journalist with poor evolution/genetics knowledge, but it's a strange fact.

8 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

I am no expert on this topic by any means,  but awhile back I once heard this theory that indigenous Americans traded with the Polynesians and thus they were growing coconuts before the arrival of the Europeans. 

I guess this theory could be possible. Once i’ve heard that archeologists found Serenoa reprens in indigenous trash pits as far north as Minnesota, which without a doubt originally came from the Deep South. 

Coconuts were reported by the earliest Spanish explorers on the Pacific coast of America, but the current stock of coconuts is more closely related to those found on the former Spanish Philippines rather than the Polynesian coconuts, so something's a bit weird about that. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

7 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

Coconuts were reported by the earliest Spanish explorers on the Pacific coast of America, but the current stock of coconuts is more closely related to those found on the former Spanish Philippines rather than the Polynesian coconuts, so something's a bit weird about that. 

Interesting... I never knew about those reports. Do you think the Spanish originally brought coconuts to the Americas or were they here before then? 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC