IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Houston Palm Hunting

Jeff985

I’m fairly new to the Houston area. I moved here about a year and a half ago and have become obsessed with palms and tropical plants. All the nurseries I’ve been to have the same stuff. Are there any nurseries in the are that sell kentiopsis, or chamaedorea radicalis, maybe a majesty with a trunk? Thanks for your help in advance. 

In short, no. I have been looking for several years now, and it's pretty much all the same old. Your best bet by far is Caldwell's in Rosenberg. They have had Phoenix reclinata, small Becarriophoenix alfredii, Dypsis decaryi, etc. in the past.

You may have to seek elsewhere for rare tropical stuff. Order in or plan a long trip.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I’m fairly new to the Houston area. I moved here about a year and a half ago and have become obsessed with palms and tropical plants. All the nurseries I’ve been to have the same stuff. Are there any nurseries in the are that sell kentiopsis, or chamaedorea radicalis, maybe a majesty with a trunk? Thanks for your help in advance. 

Some local nurseries carry one or two "rare" palms for a season and then they don't carry them again.  TexasColdHardyPalms in the DFW metroplex (IPS member on this forum) has an excellent selection of palms that will succeed here and they are well grown.  Have you tried Palm Professionals in Sugarland?  I don't have any experience with them other than a phone call but they have quite a variety - although they are pricey.

Jon

Jon Sunder

The selection isn't great around here, but like has already been recommended, do check out Caldwell.  Also you may want to try Maas Nursery down in Seabrook.  I have seen kentiopsis there along with several different kinds of chamaedorea, chamaerops, serenoa, sabal, phoenix, mules etc.   If you are looking for a better Sabal selection, I recommend making a weekend trip to Austin and go to Barton Springs Nursery where you could get your hands on Sabal Uresana, Riverside, Mexicana, Brazoria in a variety of sizes. 

Great. I have some new places to check out. I’ve looked at Palm Professionals and, yes, they are expensive. I will definitely look at the place in Rosenberg and Seabrook. Thanks everyone. 

7 minutes ago, necturus said:

Maas gets some interesting stuff, but they are pretty expensive.

Agreed - I forgot about them.  Moon Valley has a lot of big stuff and are expensive as well as I recall...but another option.

Jon Sunder

I'd also look into Peckerwood Gardens in Hempstead. Not necessarily for palms but a great resource for all sorts of hard to find / just coming into cultivation rare stuff.  Used to be directly connected with Yucca Do Nursery which closed awhile back. 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

You may find some good stuff if you take a road trip down into the Rio Grande Valley area, I think there may be a couple of growers down there 

I grow lots of radicalis as they are zone 8 palms. Everything I grow will thrive in Houston, other than brahea armata. We have over 85 species of palms available.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Umbrae said:

You may find some good stuff if you take a road trip down into the Rio Grande Valley area, I think there may be a couple of growers down there 

One of these days I’m going to do that. It’s just hard to find the time. I’ve been wanting an adonidia. I know. They aren’t even marginal here, but I want a potted one for my patio that I can bring inside on the cold nights. Maybe I can find one there. 

54 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I grow lots of radicalis as they are zone 8 palms. Everything I grow will thrive in Houston, other than brahea armata. We have over 85 species of palms available.

I drive through the DFW area a couple times a year. Next time I’m in the area I’ll look you up.