IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Edule, spinuñosum, mejiae??

GDLWyverex

Just got this one at a criminally low price and would dearly love to know which dioon it might be. It has a 12" causex

caudex.thumb.jpg.85c7771581ac4de0ed28f54cc3936dd9.jpg

Full.thumb.jpg.c0559040ba0ec7b6c097d9db9d79605f.jpg

Frond.thumb.jpg.d587def009f5bb64f8731c0c96669305.jpg

Thanks

Richard

I'm not too familiar with the genus, but spinulosum has serrated leaflets (as the name suggests) so I don't think this is spinulosum. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I'm not too familiar with the genus, but spinulosum has serrated leaflets (as the name suggests) so I don't think this is spinulosum. 

I think we can also eliminate d. mejiae as my plant's caudex is already larger than d. mejiea's seems to get.

I think we can definately add d. rzedowskii to the list however as it's petiole has some 3.5"  of bare stem

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

Just a guess . Definetly not spinulosum . Looks l awfully twisted on the leaves for Mejiae my mejiaes usually are perfectly straight upright but as for caudex being to big I’ve seen some rather large caudex on mejiaes before much bigger atleast than the one pictured 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Definetly not spinulosum . Looks l awfully twisted on the leaves for Mejiae my mejiaes usually are perfectly straight upright but as for caudex being to big I’ve seen some rather large caudex on mejiaes before much bigger atleast than the one pictured 

When it flushes you can rule in or out on the Dioon mejiae.  One is mine in the pot, and the other was a labeled specimen I saw at SD Zoo yesterday.  Note the flush photo on how fuzzy the new leaves are.  Agree on the caudex size not being too big to be a Dioon mejiae.  Some of these Dioons have pretty subtle differences.  I haven't heard anything about hybridization across species with these unlike with other cycad genus to know if that is something to consider as well.

20190210-104A2354.jpg

20180925-104A0736.jpg

20180905-104A0548.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, yeye said:

Dioon edule for me ! 

I was leaning towards d. edule as well, mostly because the garden center suddenly acquired 6 of them in various sizes and I thought that they may have  been collected. They were being sold as palms and at, in my opinion, very low prices. I paid 35 dollars for this one and I think, with a 12" caudex, it's worth 10 times that. Since d. edule is Mexican, and more or less local to my location, and d. mejiae is Central American, I went for d. edule.

What are the indicators that differentiate one adult d. edule from an adult d. mejiae or d. rzedowskii? Or do I have to wait for a cone to be certain?

I have yet another dioon, which I have been calling d. edule which is much smaller, with a 4" caudex, which I have had for 5 years or so and have not been successful until last year in getting any growth out of it. I hope that it is happy in this new setting which prompted a flush last year.

SmallDioon.thumb.jpg.8cca5a77d8520b98e47b1ee33274ed46.jpg

Thanks

Richard

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

21 hours ago, GDLWyverex said:

caudex.thumb.jpg.85c7771581ac4de0ed28f54cc3936dd9.jpg

Full.thumb.jpg.c0559040ba0ec7b6c097d9db9d79605f.jpg

Frond.thumb.jpg.d587def009f5bb64f8731c0c96669305.jpg

Thanks 

Someone else posted this link in another string on Dioons, but I thought you might find it useful:

http://www.cycad.org/documents/Key-to-the-Species-of-Dioon.pdf

Looking again, you are probably correct in a variety of Dioon edule.  There are several varieties, some more petite with very fine leaflets, some more blue varieties, etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

6 hours ago, Tracy said:

Someone else posted this link in another string on Dioons, but I thought you might find it useful:

http://www.cycad.org/documents/Key-to-the-Species-of-Dioon.pdf

Looking again, you are probably correct in a variety of Dioon edule.  There are several varieties, some more petite with very fine leaflets, some more blue varieties, etc.

Thank you for the great key

Richard

That's a great sheet, it's too bad their photos were so highly compressed when making the PDF.  The Dioon definitely looks like an Edule or Spinulosum, since Edules normally have somewhat narrower width vs length proportions than the photos.  But there are several different looking Edules, the "Palma Sola" variation is broader and sometimes twisty like your photos.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

That's a great sheet, it's too bad their photos were so highly compressed when making the PDF.  The Dioon definitely looks like an Edule or Spinulosum, since Edules normally have somewhat narrower width vs length proportions than the photos.  But there are several different looking Edules, the "Palma Sola" variation is broader and sometimes twisty like your photos.

Great

Thanks

Richard

That is for sure a Dioon edule. Spinulosum and mejaie have much wider leaflets and are way different looking. To tell the difference between younger spinulosum and mejaie, younger spinulosum plants have bare petioles and mejaie has  mature looking leaves from the beginning. Rezdowskii looks like a spinulosum, but with slightly hairy leaves when they come out. That's a good deal on the plant. I sell them that size in a 25 gallon container for $150.  Tom

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, cycadjungle said:

That is for sure a Dioon edule. Spinulosum and mejaie have much wider leaflets and are way different looking. To tell the difference between younger spinulosum and mejaie, younger spinulosum plants have bare petioles and mejaie has  mature looking leaves from the beginning. Rezdowskii looks like a spinulosum, but with slightly hairy leaves when they come out. That's a good deal on the plant. I sell them that size in a 25 gallon container for $150.  Tom

Thanks Tom

Richard