Sign in to follow this  
metalfan

Chamardorea oblongata

metalfan

So I have 2 flushes of bloom/seeds coming out on my (sad face) only Chamaedorea oblongata, and I guess because it IS my only one none will be viable, right?

IMG_3252.jpg

• Like 1

Phoenikakias

Right! You get no seeds. Is there any chance that you cross the oblongata with another plant of a different Chamaedorea sp?

PalmatierMeg

You need two sexes. Chamaedorea oblongata are not that rare or you could grow up a crop of seeds. Such a beautiful Cham.

Jeff Searle

Yea, it's too bad you don't have the other sex plant. Usually I like to plant three in a grouping to have a good chance for both sexes. And if so, there's a good chance seed will set on it's own.

redant

I have one clump, which is obviously several individuals as I have viable seeds and lots of babies from. A nice little palm that I now have lots of.

Edited by redant

metalfan

I was young and (more stupid) than I am now and picked it because it looked so lovely in pictures and had no idea it wouldn;t make seeds or offsets. I guess I should have read more or I would have bought a few.

Phonenikakias I might be able to....my C seifrizii, C. elegans, are both blooming now. My Arena hookeriana is also blooming, I wonder....would that cross? And if so, however does one do that??

Meg, I know they aren;t rare LOL I just never get to go anywhere where anyone actually has one for sale. This one came from Floribunda years and years ago

Darold Petty

Gina, I think your plant is male, as well. (staminate).  The females usually have a lower number of rachillae on the spadix.  Watch for pollen as the decisive indicator. :)

• Upvote 1

redant
4 hours ago, metalfan said:

I was young and (more stupid) than I am now and picked it because it looked so lovely in pictures and had no idea it wouldn;t make seeds or offsets. I guess I should have read more or I would have bought a few.

Phonenikakias I might be able to....my C seifrizii, C. elegans, are both blooming now. My Arena hookeriana is also blooming, I wonder....would that cross? And if so, however does one do that??

Meg, I know they aren;t rare LOL I just never get to go anywhere where anyone actually has one for sale. This one came from Floribunda years and years ago

If you are ever around this area I'd gladly give you one.

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

DoomsDave

Get some other oblongata plants and soon the nursery will be filled him-BAM.

metalfan

Thank you! If I am I may take you up on that. Is it close to Sarasota?

Missi

Okay, what the heck...I can't find C. oblongata anywhere. I had one maybe 8 years ago but killed it by overhead watering during winter. :indifferent: I have not been able to find one since!