IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamardorea oblongata

metalfan

So I have 2 flushes of bloom/seeds coming out on my (sad face) only Chamaedorea oblongata, and I guess because it IS my only one none will be viable, right?

IMG_3252.jpg

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

You need two sexes. Chamaedorea oblongata are not that rare or you could grow up a crop of seeds. Such a beautiful Cham.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Yea, it's too bad you don't have the other sex plant. Usually I like to plant three in a grouping to have a good chance for both sexes. And if so, there's a good chance seed will set on it's own.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have one clump, which is obviously several individuals as I have viable seeds and lots of babies from. A nice little palm that I now have lots of.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I was young and (more stupid) than I am now and picked it because it looked so lovely in pictures and had no idea it wouldn;t make seeds or offsets. I guess I should have read more or I would have bought a few.

Phonenikakias I might be able to....my C seifrizii, C. elegans, are both blooming now. My Arena hookeriana is also blooming, I wonder....would that cross? And if so, however does one do that??

Meg, I know they aren;t rare LOL I just never get to go anywhere where anyone actually has one for sale. This one came from Floribunda years and years ago

Gina, I think your plant is male, as well. (staminate).  The females usually have a lower number of rachillae on the spadix.  Watch for pollen as the decisive indicator. :)

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

4 hours ago, metalfan said:

I was young and (more stupid) than I am now and picked it because it looked so lovely in pictures and had no idea it wouldn;t make seeds or offsets. I guess I should have read more or I would have bought a few.

Phonenikakias I might be able to....my C seifrizii, C. elegans, are both blooming now. My Arena hookeriana is also blooming, I wonder....would that cross? And if so, however does one do that??

Meg, I know they aren;t rare LOL I just never get to go anywhere where anyone actually has one for sale. This one came from Floribunda years and years ago

If you are ever around this area I'd gladly give you one.

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Get some other oblongata plants and soon the nursery will be filled him-BAM.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you! If I am I may take you up on that. Is it close to Sarasota?

Okay, what the heck...I can't find C. oblongata anywhere. I had one maybe 8 years ago but killed it by overhead watering during winter. :indifferent: I have not been able to find one since!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: