IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tampa area palm hunting

DALION

I am planning a trip for April to the Tampa/Clearwater area. Does anyone know of some palm nurseries that carry rare palms in the area? Looking for some unique stuff I can ship back home. I won't be there too many days so can't head south to greater Miami area but there has to be someone selling some 3 gallon size coccothrinax and such in the area. Thanks in advance.

I second @mike evans, best offerings in the area.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I just visited mike and can vouch!! beautiful garden definitely worth vising

20190202_112721.jpg

20190202_112227.jpg

20190202_112214.jpg

20190202_112223.jpg

20190202_112706.jpg

20190202_113620.jpg

20190202_113422.jpg

20190202_113457.jpg

20190202_113530.jpg

20190202_113802.jpg

20190202_120329.jpg

20190202_120332.jpg

20190202_120504.jpg

• Like 9

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Obscenities screamed.

Very VERY loudly.

Expletive.

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:07 PM, sonoranfans said:

I second @mike evans, best offerings in the area.

Well since that is the only recommendation I hope he has as many nice palms for sale as he does in his garden. Amazing looking place.

Depending when in April you'll be in the area, the University of South Florida Botanical Garden's Spring plant sale falls on the weekend of April 13-14th this year.

Across the Bay, St Petersburg hosts "Green Thumb Fest", one of the area's largest spring plant sales, on the weekend of April 27-28th. You'll find all sorts of stuff, inc. palms galore at both sales.   Many vendors from across the state attend /sell plants at both events.

Regardless, take an hour or two to spend at Kopsick, also in St. Pete.

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Depending when in April you'll be in the area, the University of South Florida Botanical Garden's Spring plant sale falls on the weekend of April 13-14th this year.

Across the Bay, St Petersburg hosts "Green Thumb Fest", one of the area's largest spring plant sales, on the weekend of April 27-28th. You'll find all sorts of stuff, inc. palms galore at both sales.   Many vendors from across the state attend /sell plants at both events.

Got some good stuff at Green Thumb over the last 2 years.  The last USF sale I went to wasn't that good.  Me, @RedRabbit and @Chatta met up there and they had very few palms.  I got a needle palm and a sabal minor, but the selection was the lowest I've ever seen at that sale.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

5 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Got some good stuff at Green Thumb over the last 2 years.  The last USF sale I went to wasn't that good.  Me, @RedRabbit and @Chatta met up there and they had very few palms.  I got a needle palm and a sabal minor, but the selection was the lowest I've ever seen at that sale.

I remember the 3 of you heading there last year. but don't recall any feedback on how the sale was. Interesting to hear that the palm selection was apparently lacking. Remember always seeing the CFPACS's booth set up each time i attended. Hoping it was just an off year. 

Agree that between USF and Green Thumb Fest.. Green Thumb was the must attend local event.  Packed, people-wise, but vendors / plant selection galore..  There's a vendor who sells all sorts of unusual Desert Rose cultivars i wish i could purchase more from. Doesn't sell over the web. Theirs is the only Adenium i have / have had that has survived outdoors here all year. 

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I remember the 3 of you heading there last year. but don't recall any feedback on how the sale was. Interesting to hear that the palm selection was apparently lacking. Remember always seeing the CFPACS's booth set up each time i attended. Hoping it was just an off year. 

Agree that between USF and Green Thumb Fest.. Green Thumb was the must attend local event.  Packed, people-wise, but vendors / plant selection galore..  There's a vendor who sells all sorts of unusual Desert Rose cultivars i wish i could purchase more from. Doesn't sell over the web. Theirs is the only Adenium i have / have had that has survived outdoors here all year. 

I agree, most years I get good stuff at USF.  I was disappointed last year.  The fall sale landed on the same day as a CFPACS meetup in Hastings, so I was unable to attend.  I don't think CFPACS has a booth there anymore.

Funny you mention the desert rose vendor... I bought one last year from them :)  Usually, if I want coconuts, I have Marc Gingras from Calusa Palms bring them in has wagon and set them aside.  I've gotten 3 Jamaican Talls and one Maypan from him.  One of the Jamaican Talls was donated to Leu, the other two are outside right now.  Overall, a great sale if you get a chance to go @DALION.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

23 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Well I think I will be able to make the USF event. I am sure along with Mike Evans place I should find something I want. I am limited to 3 gallon plants. Airlines charge crazy money for oversized boxes. Maybe as it gets closer there will be info on what palm vendors will be there and I could contact them before I go to see if they have anything in their stock I would like them to take to the event. Or if anyone here is selling at USF send me a private message so we can talk about what you have. Thanks again everyone. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2019 at 11:02 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

USF was a complete disappointment. There were zero palms available. Well, there was a vendor selling coconut palms. Oh well.

28 minutes ago, DALION said:

USF was a complete disappointment. There were zero palms available. Well, there was a vendor selling coconut palms. Oh well.

Wow,  Bummer:( but good to know. Guess i'll cross off attending that sale when back in the area in the future.  Hope you were able to pick up some things from Mike.. Or some seeds from Kopsick, if you had a chance to visit. 

@DALION & @Silas_Sancona

CFPACS had their meetup down at Mounts, so I didn't run over to USF.  Definitely didn't miss anything from the report here.  Seems like a lot of the sales have deteriorated lately.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

8 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@DALION & @Silas_Sancona

CFPACS had their meetup down at Mounts, so I didn't run over to USF.  Definitely didn't miss anything from the report here.  Seems like a lot of the sales have deteriorated lately.

I guess I have to contact Mike to see if I can swing by. Although there are some palms on his available list I am interested in, he doesn't have any coccothrinax which I was also hoping to find.