Sign in to follow this  
Avi

Wild Sabal Minor in Virginia

kinzyjr

Nice find.  Welcome to PalmTalk as well!

PalmTreeDude

Wow! I'm going to have to check that area out next time I'm down there. I looked around at it on Google Maps and it looks like a place that you would find Sabal minor, and if it was down in the Carolinas I bet you would see them everywhere. That is a nice find! 

NC_Palms

Nice find!

When I get a chance, I’d like to check out this lake. Hopefully I can get some leaf samples so we can have solid evidence of Sabal minor (native or naturalized) in Virginia.

I’d like to think that this palm is native, but it very well could be an escape from cultivation since Sabal minors are common landscaping plants there.

Also, welcome to PalmTalk! 

VA Jeff

Great if it is actually native.  Who knows.  No way to prove it.  The closest you could get would be to compare it against monkey island genetics.  Gary Hollar has probably trucked hundreds of sabal minors to VA Beach over the years. 

The Nature Conservancy refused to let me plant sabal minor seeds on their land in Virginia years ago, saying they weren't native.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they planted "native" Japanese maples.

• Like 1

NC_Palms
7 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

Great if it is actually native.  Who knows.  No way to prove it.  The closest you could get would be to compare it against monkey island genetics.  Gary Hollar has probably trucked hundreds of sabal minors to VA Beach over the years. 

The Nature Conservancy refused to let me plant sabal minor seeds on their land in Virginia years ago, saying they weren't native.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they planted "native" Japanese maples.

Virginia is funny.  They’ll mass plant crepe myrtles from who knows where but fuss when someone offers to plant a native palm with native populations probably less than 100 miles away.