IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Resurrection ferns

Tropicdoc

This live oak is at a mom and pop restaurant about a minute from my house. Its covered in resurrection ferns. I wish I could get my trees to look like this.... so lush!

ED432C8C-0A65-4862-AD90-8B292076D63D.jpeg

• Like 5

I can't grow all those tropical epiphytes like you. But I've been looking into some of the Aechmea bromeliads...…. And I can grow Spanish moss. it is native and all over the place.

2 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

I can't grow all those tropical epiphytes like you. But I've been looking into some of the Aechmea bromeliads...…. And I can grow Spanish moss. it is native and all over the place.

I don't know much about resurrection ferns but can't you transfer a small piece from that tree to yours? You can tie it onto a branch with cotton string that will disintegrate after the fern attaches. I tied a small piece of Spanish moss to my spinach tree and now the stuff hangs almost to the ground. 

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I don't know much about resurrection ferns but can't you transfer a small piece from that tree to yours? You can tie it onto a branch with cotton string that will disintegrate after the fern attaches. I tied a small piece of Spanish moss to my spinach tree and now the stuff hangs almost to the ground. 

believe me, I've tried exactly that. I have a few pieces here and there. The dang things are spreading on my brick wall UNDER one of the oaks, though!

2 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

believe me, I've tried exactly that. I have a few pieces here and there. The dang things are spreading on my brick wall UNDER one of the oaks, though!

When I attach ferns to a tree I usually put a healthy amount of New Zealand Sphagnum moss between the fern and the tree.  Initially I try and keep the Sphagnum moss fairly moist, with a little drying out between waterings.  Once the fern is established I tend to let the moss dry out between waterings.  Some ferns, such as Lemmaphyllum microphyllum, aren't able to "escape" from the moss island, while others, such as Microgramma vacciniifolia, are able to escape.  

Here's a pic of the L. microphyllum around three stories up on my tree...

20180725_184825.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Waykoolplantz, that's your tree?!  Kyle shares pictures of it all the time (latest share), but I have yet to see a picture of it with the hanging Dendrobiums (aphyllum?) in bloom.  :D 

Here's an old pic of Dendrobium lituiflorum blooming on my tree.  It would be a big specimen now but a few years back I removed it and gave a big division to the Huntington Botanic Garden... specifically John Trager.  I wanted him to see how it compares to their Dendrobium aphyllum.  

• Upvote 1

I love trees covered in epiphytes! I wish I could grow some in my dry, interior climate. We have lots of epiphytes on trees on our property in Central America, just wish I could recreate that look in Fresno. Here are a few pictures from our trees:

bromeliads galore!

20171128_134706.thumb.jpg.437d491ef9647bd07dc97b585946d18d.jpg

These ceiba species are loaded with tillandsia, bromeliads, aroids, orchids...etc. 

20171130_115305.thumb.jpg.fbca4e8989fc8adfa1726259da617c45.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 2

Josue, which epiphytes have you tried?  I'm guessing that the cold in Fresno would be a bigger problem than the dryness.  There are lots of relatively dry growing epiphytes.  The orchids and Tillandsias in my front yard get watered around once a week at night during summer.  

Just now, epiphyte said:

Josue, which epiphytes have you tried?  I'm guessing that the cold in Fresno would be a bigger problem than the dryness.  There are lots of relatively dry growing epiphytes.  The orchids and Tillandsias in my front yard get watered around once a week at night during summer.  

I can actually grow Platycerium. I have a few that I will be mounting this coming season. Hoya have also proven quite hardy. I have several large plants in hanging baskets. As far as bromeliads go, I am trying an unknown aechmea that doesn't seem to mind the cold, and a bilbergia hybrid. I use to have a large clump of the grocery-store guzmania mounted on a tree fern, but it died during the freeze in 2007. I may try some cheap guzmania again. 

Is that a cymbidium on your tree? How cool. I never thought to mount mine. I have several large clumps that grow and bloom reliably for me outdoors. 

Josue, if you can grow Platycerium bifurcatum and veitchii, then you should be able to also grow the orchids that share the same habitats, such as Dendrobium speciosum, delicatum and kingianum.  The Hoyas you grow also share habitat with other epiphytes such as orchids and ferns.  The same is true of Billbergia nutans.  Another couple good ones to try are Aechmea recurvata and Tillandsia aeranthos.  They both grow easy from seed.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 3:23 PM, Tropicdoc said:

Hey guys.... any suggestions for wet zone 9a?

Aechmea disticantha and Bilbergia nutans have been the best for me up in the big oaks. Also in any tree forks I’ve put holiday cacti which grow well. Laelia anceps survives but doesn’t thrive

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Now if I could just get you to give me a pup:hmm:

Seriously thanks for the info can’t find Achmea distichantha for sale online

I’m not in Florida now or I’d gladly send you some. I may go back in May and if you still need then I can send. There used to be a website that sold all sorts of hardy bromeliads but I’ve forgotten which one it was. 

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

20190209_155511.jpg

Dischidia formosana growing attached to my Australian tree fern along with Crassula browniana, Echeveria gibbiflora and some ferns...

Lepisorus bicolor
Pleopeltis macrocarpa x Polypodium thyssanolepis
Polypodium aureum
Rumohra adiantiformis

The plants were established on a large chunk of New Zealand Sphagnum moss and they get a good soaking a couple times a week at night during summer. In cooler weather I water earlier in the day and less frequently. If D. formosana was in a pot it would probably be fine with once a week watering during summer. It's an epiphyte so it will need a well-drained mix like Hoyas, which it is closely related to.

D. formosana has rather insignificant white flowers but I really like the dime-sized leaves and hanging stems. I've been impressed with how tolerant it is of heat/cold and a skipped watering or two.

resurrection ferns will take 8F and still come back in the spring.  I have some on a giant Dioon that amazingly came back last spring after the winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

resurrection ferns will take 8F and still come back in the spring.  I have some on a giant Dioon that amazingly came back last spring after the winter.

Apparently they are good to zone 6

• 2 years later...

Thought I’d resurrect this thread with resurrection ferns I saw covering some Taxodium distichum in the Surry/ Isle of Wight area of Virginia. 

0BC226FD-F0EC-4020-BE17-1F01B7DBD09D.jpeg

• Like 2

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7