IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Uh oh, my new cocos has mites in the soil??

RaychHasDatePalms

I am a worried cocos mama right now! Per reccomendations received here, I’ve been waiting to transplant to a larger pot till the weather gets warmer and more humid in my area..... but now I’m not sure what to do! I didn’t notice the mites at all till I watered it, and then I saw them come up from the dirt onto the coconut seed itself. Is this because the tree is growing out of the seed, or (I assume) something to fix FAST? How should I go about fixing it? 

Thank you so much! 

Maybe insecticidal soap is least chemical harm but I'm not sure.  Also neem oil can be used.  I just sprayed my garaged palms with neem/soap combo for aphids/mites.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

It's just a mix with water and spray on everything once every week or so using a spray bottle or pump sprayer.  I'm not sure how to treat the soil though.  I think once you get that plant outside the sun/rain will kill them.   You can buy insecticidal soap almost anywhere or there are directions on google to make a homemade.  Soap in small amounts is not harmful to plants.   Similar to neem is horticultural oil which suffocates them like neem.  Search "Year-Round Spray Oil for Garden Insects" on amazon.  If you want to go the chemical route there are mite sprays.  I generally like to stay organic if I can so I don't give myself cancer lol.  Oil/soap takes a day or 2 to kill them and more may come back in a week or 2.  They are problems indoors.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F