Sign in to follow this  
RaychHasDatePalms

Uh oh, my new cocos has mites in the soil??

RaychHasDatePalms

I am a worried cocos mama right now! Per reccomendations received here, I’ve been waiting to transplant to a larger pot till the weather gets warmer and more humid in my area..... but now I’m not sure what to do! I didn’t notice the mites at all till I watered it, and then I saw them come up from the dirt onto the coconut seed itself. Is this because the tree is growing out of the seed, or (I assume) something to fix FAST? How should I go about fixing it? 

Thank you so much! 

Allen

Maybe insecticidal soap is least chemical harm but I'm not sure.  Also neem oil can be used.  I just sprayed my garaged palms with neem/soap combo for aphids/mites.

RaychHasDatePalms

Thank you! How do I use the neem oil? 

Allen

It's just a mix with water and spray on everything once every week or so using a spray bottle or pump sprayer.  I'm not sure how to treat the soil though.  I think once you get that plant outside the sun/rain will kill them.   You can buy insecticidal soap almost anywhere or there are directions on google to make a homemade.  Soap in small amounts is not harmful to plants.   Similar to neem is horticultural oil which suffocates them like neem.  Search "Year-Round Spray Oil for Garden Insects" on amazon.  If you want to go the chemical route there are mite sprays.  I generally like to stay organic if I can so I don't give myself cancer lol.  Oil/soap takes a day or 2 to kill them and more may come back in a week or 2.  They are problems indoors.