IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big box store Ravenea hardiness (experiment)

AZPalms

Okay so the majesty palm gets a bad rep and many my find this a boring test but I’m bored and it’s a $75 experiment. Personally I think it can be an attractive palm if well grown. Most of the ravenea palms we get here in AZ are Florida grown. About a month ago I found a California grown majesty at Lowe’s (San Marcos CA) I’m curious if they are more adapt to dry heat and cooler weather that we have in the west so I bought one...I will take pictures of the 3 palms over the coming months for curiosity sake if you’d like...

The 2 Florida grown have been in the ground for about 5 months and the California grown for about a month. 

Now, the FL grown ones did experience a week of nights ranging from 26-33f. So far the CA grown one has experienced 2 nights at freezing and a handful of mid 30s. 

What I find interesting is the two FL grown ones both have damage but one significantly more than the other. Genetics? Only about 6 feet apart. 

CA one looks perfect so far nearest to the pool. 

More pictures to follow. 

Disclaimer: I already know this experiment has controls and variables that are not equal lol. I’m just a bored guy with too much time with a shovel and backyard. 

585BD329-B327-4B3E-A209-17DD6056FF07.jpeg

Edited by AZPalms
Picture
  • Like 3

You'll probably need shade cloth for them when you start warming up.

Interested to see how they do!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I bought one a few years back from HD/Lowe’s and initially it will take some time adjusting because it’s probably shade grown to get that beautiful green foilage. But it’s been totally fine in the shade, just slower than slow.

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AZPalms said:

A bit more crispy 

103FA8D3-0FCB-4AED-AA0F-27F864BCDEAA.jpeg

That'll be an interesting experiment!  I have 5 Majesties in the ground, 3 small ones in shade in the back and 2 in 50% direct sun in the front.  All were exposed to about 4-5 hours of 33-34F temps and had about 1/3 the damage in the above picture.  They were all a bit yellowed in the fall due to a lack of fertilizer (nitrogen symptoms) but the newer fronds were still fairly solid green and took almost no damage.  I did have some problems with sun damage when I took down a 70' water oak in July, without some shade I bet those will be really unhappy for a while!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

That'll be an interesting experiment!  I have 5 Majesties in the ground, 3 small ones in shade in the back and 2 in 50% direct sun in the front.  All were exposed to about 4-5 hours of 33-34F temps and had about 1/3 the damage in the above picture.  They were all a bit yellowed in the fall due to a lack of fertilizer (nitrogen symptoms) but the newer fronds were still fairly solid green and took almost no damage.  I did have some problems with sun damage when I took down a 70' water oak in July, without some shade I bet those will be really unhappy for a while!

Are you located here in AZ Merlyn? Biggest one from CA will get about 4 hours morning sun in summer and winter. North facing planting. Other  ones are blocked by a south facing wall. If and when they grow to the same size they’ll probably be zapped. Or hopefully acclimated by that point if I keep them. 

8 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

Are you located here in AZ Merlyn? Biggest one from CA will get about 4 hours morning sun in summer and winter. North facing planting. Other  ones are blocked by a south facing wall. If and when they grow to the same size they’ll probably be zapped. Or hopefully acclimated by that point if I keep them. 

Nope, I'm just NW of Orlando, FL.  I just thought the comparative damage on similar-sized palms might be of some use to you! :) 

23 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Nope, I'm just NW of Orlando, FL.  I just thought the comparative damage on similar-sized palms might be of some use to you! :) 

I see! I saw water oak and thought, here in AZ??

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LoamWolf said:

Just for some more info on the CA palm you bought. It came from these guys in San Marcos, CA. They supply all the Lowes/HD locations in North County San Diego. 

http://www.thetropicalconnection.com/prices.php

Very interesting! I see they appear to be grown outdoors under shade cloth which is great to know!

I know it’s far far from a rare palm but finding one grown in the west to me seems very rare. I’d never seen it. I had figured the lack of humidity was to blame. 

I think if they don't get too much hot dessert sun they will look good. During the summer they will want lots of water with all that dry heat. I'm pretty far inland here and I spotted one with over 20 feet of trunk not far from my place. If you plant something overhead to filter that intense sun out there would probably be the best bet. Not a rare palm but personally when grown well they look great.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I think if they don't get too much hot dessert sun they will look good. During the summer they will want lots of water with all that dry heat. I'm pretty far inland here and I spotted one with over 20 feet of trunk not far from my place. If you plant something overhead to filter that intense sun out there would probably be the best bet. Not a rare palm but personally when grown well they look great.

I want it to succeed just to see if I can do it. Luckily the largest and newest planted one will receive only morning sun (north facing) about 4 hours in the summer and is blocked by my home from eastern and southern exposure. So that should help with plenty of fert and water. 

The two others, one will get nailed with southwestern sun in the afternoon and the one further against the wall will be spared until it gets height if it can make it. 

I’m not stressing survival odds like my other palms so it’s fun to see how they do. 

• 11 months later...

Forgot about this thread lol. For follow through sake I’ll post an update. Cali grown one has grown  quite a bit (as has everything else nearby) some sunburn on older fronds as expected. Newest ones once acclimated look good. Fert and water hog. Mulched heavy. We’ll see how long she stays. One of the FL ones is toast, pulled mid summer. Other in deep shade looks like it’s next after last weeks freezes. 

8D22A50E-F2EF-447A-B457-CEF549486875.jpeg

Edited by AZPalms
  • Like 2