waykoolplantz

Are you Mad about Beccariophoenix ?

waykoolplantz

We have a group of Beccario s.  2x Alfredii to the left..2x Fenestralis in middle. 2xMad’s to the right

21E9762E-D778-4BA9-97F8-D675C7B021E9.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

waykoolplantz

Alfredii

91428A29-A430-4D78-8197-ABD102F06319.jpeg

567C6629-B534-40C7-B312-CB4C0672DD5D.jpeg

D32ED9E8-19A0-4966-BAAC-6AE46B11D759.jpeg

634E4402-22F0-49F5-95C0-B30284FC78DF.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

waykoolplantz

Fenestralis   Has been making viable seeds for a few years

9D5AE342-B008-4588-AE77-EEAF2B7CB353.jpeg

A1338B2B-67FD-4A76-B13D-3D012D11E975.jpeg

0FAC7A75-D652-4592-9526-3E59D838239D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

waykoolplantz

Madagascarensis...seeding as well.  Don’t know if viable

0FD41D9D-3AD4-40B6-BD69-582B05124135.jpeg

6964BD30-A286-4414-9BFA-DDB104287356.jpeg

EAD67EA2-572A-42C0-A161-E0D386210A00.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

awkonradi

Beautiful!

Mike Evans

They look great next to your pond.  Probably will not be able to tell if they ever hybridize, since they look so similar.  Thanks for posting.

Yunder Wækraus

Totally misunderstood the title and opened it wondering why anyone would be angry at a palm! ;-)

Zeeth

Nice! Glad to see the B. mad flowering. There's one in St. Pete that shot out some spadices back in 2015 and they still haven't opened up. 

Palm Tree Jim

They are thriving for you in Florida.

How long in the ground?

scottgt

I cant really tell the species apart at this age. They are all super looking palms!

redant

Love Beccariophoenix, have probably about 15 total in the ground, some of each. Just a super palm.

quaman58

Great pictures; they have to love being in that close proximity to water. Especially nice to see the madagascariensis starting to seed!

DoomsDave

Obscenities have been duly screamed.

Wow.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave
3 hours ago, redant said:

Love Beccariophoenix, have probably about 15 total in the ground, some of each. Just a super palm.

MONGO LIKE PICTURE!

image.png.0f2971d05a8ba568e9122f98c9d5656a.png

• Like 1

Missi

I just got my first two, both B. alfredii, this past fall. Will put them in the ground this spring! 

• Like 1

Merlyn2220

I have 5x ~6 foot OA Alfredii in the ground now, the only thing that would make me actually mad about Beccariophoenix is if they turn out to be really susceptible to lethal yellowing, fusarium or TPPD!!!  :o :o :o  Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with my relative level of insanity.

Edited by Merlyn2220

Alberto

I have only B. alfredii and it is certainly one of my favourite palms. Yours look fantastic!

Exotic Life

Does the genus Beccariophoenix and then specially alfredii cope with a few months with temperatures between 0-15C/32-59F?
I really love these species but I need to keep it as a potplant and needs to go into the cold greenhouse during winter. 

Tom in Tucson

16 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

Does the genus Beccariophoenix and then specially alfredii cope with a few months with temperatures between 0-15C/32-59F?
I really love these species but I need to keep it as a potplant and needs to go into the cold greenhouse during winter. 

Here in the Tucson area we have had 9 days this winter where the low temperatures were 32˚ F or below. The daytime temperatures have been between 55˚ to 74˚ F. My 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii seem to have no damage and look as healthy as they did last summer.

HTH

Hi 69˚, Lo 32˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 1

tim_brissy_13
On 2/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, Exotic Life said:

Here in Melbourne we have 3-4 months where temperatures rarely get over 15C/59F. B alfredii seems to love it here and B madagascariensis does ok too but it very slow. I’ve heard reports that B fenestralis has also done well but also that they are prone to nutrient deficiency with extended periods of cool weather. 

Chris Chance

Too cool! Saw those in person years ago and I really loved the garden. Can't wait till my alfredii look like that. 

Exotic Life
On 2/13/2019 at 5:45 AM, Tom in Tucson said:

Here in the Tucson area we have had 9 days this winter where the low temperatures were 32˚ F or below. The daytime temperatures have been between 55˚ to 74˚ F. My 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii seem to have no damage and look as healthy as they did last summer.

HTH

Hi 69˚, Lo 32˚

12 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Here in Melbourne we have 3-4 months where temperatures rarely get over 15C/59F. B alfredii seems to love it here and B madagascariensis does ok too but it very slow. I’ve heard reports that B fenestralis has also done well but also that they are prone to nutrient deficiency with extended periods of cool weather. 

Thanks for your responses. 
The coldest months here are December and January even in a greenhouse without heating because it can be very dark. Before that or after that, also in february for example when the sun is shining the greenhouse will warm up quite easiliy. Sounds like its worth a try. 

palmfriend

Simply spectacular!!!

Since I am always enjoying to look at my own young ones - this exciting thread gave me another forward looking push.

Thank you for posting!

Best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 1