IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are you Mad about Beccariophoenix ?

waykoolplantz

We have a group of Beccario s.  2x Alfredii to the left..2x Fenestralis in middle. 2xMad’s to the right

21E9762E-D778-4BA9-97F8-D675C7B021E9.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Beautiful!

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

They look great next to your pond.  Probably will not be able to tell if they ever hybridize, since they look so similar.  Thanks for posting.

Nice! Glad to see the B. mad flowering. There's one in St. Pete that shot out some spadices back in 2015 and they still haven't opened up. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I cant really tell the species apart at this age. They are all super looking palms!

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Love Beccariophoenix, have probably about 15 total in the ground, some of each. Just a super palm.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Great pictures; they have to love being in that close proximity to water. Especially nice to see the madagascariensis starting to seed!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Obscenities have been duly screamed.

Wow.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, redant said:

Love Beccariophoenix, have probably about 15 total in the ground, some of each. Just a super palm.

MONGO LIKE PICTURE!

image.png.0f2971d05a8ba568e9122f98c9d5656a.png

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I just got my first two, both B. alfredii, this past fall. Will put them in the ground this spring! 

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I have 5x ~6 foot OA Alfredii in the ground now, the only thing that would make me actually mad about Beccariophoenix is if they turn out to be really susceptible to lethal yellowing, fusarium or TPPD!!!  :o :o :o  Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with my relative level of insanity.

Edited by Merlyn2220

I have only B. alfredii and it is certainly one of my favourite palms. Yours look fantastic!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Does the genus Beccariophoenix and then specially alfredii cope with a few months with temperatures between 0-15C/32-59F?
I really love these species but I need to keep it as a potplant and needs to go into the cold greenhouse during winter. 

Southwest

16 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

Does the genus Beccariophoenix and then specially alfredii cope with a few months with temperatures between 0-15C/32-59F?
I really love these species but I need to keep it as a potplant and needs to go into the cold greenhouse during winter. 

Here in the Tucson area we have had 9 days this winter where the low temperatures were 32˚ F or below. The daytime temperatures have been between 55˚ to 74˚ F. My 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii seem to have no damage and look as healthy as they did last summer.

HTH

Hi 69˚, Lo 32˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

On 2/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, Exotic Life said:

Here in Melbourne we have 3-4 months where temperatures rarely get over 15C/59F. B alfredii seems to love it here and B madagascariensis does ok too but it very slow. I’ve heard reports that B fenestralis has also done well but also that they are prone to nutrient deficiency with extended periods of cool weather. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Too cool! Saw those in person years ago and I really loved the garden. Can't wait till my alfredii look like that. 

On 2/13/2019 at 5:45 AM, Tom in Tucson said:

Here in the Tucson area we have had 9 days this winter where the low temperatures were 32˚ F or below. The daytime temperatures have been between 55˚ to 74˚ F. My 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii seem to have no damage and look as healthy as they did last summer.

HTH

Hi 69˚, Lo 32˚

12 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Here in Melbourne we have 3-4 months where temperatures rarely get over 15C/59F. B alfredii seems to love it here and B madagascariensis does ok too but it very slow. I’ve heard reports that B fenestralis has also done well but also that they are prone to nutrient deficiency with extended periods of cool weather. 

Thanks for your responses. 
The coldest months here are December and January even in a greenhouse without heating because it can be very dark. Before that or after that, also in february for example when the sun is shining the greenhouse will warm up quite easiliy. Sounds like its worth a try. 

Southwest

Simply spectacular!!!

Since I am always enjoying to look at my own young ones - this exciting thread gave me another forward looking push.

Thank you for posting!

Best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 1