IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

florida road trip

Mr.SamuraiSword

so I am probably going on a 2 week road trip with my family for feb break.  we plan on going down the eastern seaboard and going to Miami, the keys and then the west coast of florida.  Im working on trying to go to fairchild on this trip as I have only been to one botanical garden down south (largo).  anyways we will also probably stop in Savannah or Tybee island to visit old friends.  charleston would also be nice but thats only a possibility at this point.  hope to see some of the native key thatch and buccaneer palms in habitat as well as maybe fakahatchee strand.  I will post pics once I start seeing palms.  hope to maybe bring one home too.  anyways wish me luck!

• Like 2

Pseudophoenix sargentii may be difficult to see in habitat. Elliott Key is only accessible by boat, and the re-introduced specimens on Long-Key are still somewhat small. Fakahatchee is a good place to see royals in the wild though!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'd recommend a detour off 95 and take A-1A from Melbourne to Vero. Very cool drive with numerous coconuts and large homes. 

• Like 2

Might as well do A1A from Jupiter going south...nice dunes..tons of palms..not really houses...more like castles...including Mar-A-Lago...the defacto southern WH.

• Like 4

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Charleston is my favorite mid-sized city in the US so I’d recommend visiting, not for the palms though. For palms it sounds like you already have the right idea.

I see you’re 17 so definitely hit up South Beach and you can thank me later. :greenthumb:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

8 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Charleston is my favorite mid-sized city in the US so I’d recommend visiting, not for the palms though. For palms it sounds like you already have the right idea.

Charleston is super nice. I stayed there for a month on externship this year and I loved the city. I was pretty disappointed by New Orleans, but Charleston blew my expectations out of the water. 

• Like 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

3 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I'd recommend a detour off 95 and take A-1A from Melbourne to Vero. Very cool drive with numerous coconuts and large homes. 

I agree 100%.  There are some stretches of this highway where the land is so narrow, you can see the Atlantic Ocean to your left (heading South) and the Indian River (inland waterway) to your right.  Wealthy homeowners with large estates (and lots of disposable income) = unbelievable landscaping...

Thousands of mature coconut palms and lots of other Zone 10B plants.  Immediately South of Melbourne Beach, you are in a fully Zone 10B environment.

Well worth the detour.

• Like 2

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I see you’re 17 so definitely hit up South Beach and you can thank me later. :greenthumb:

@Mr.SamuraiSword you’re only 17? 

I am only 18. It’s nice to see other people around my age interested in palms. It seems like most people around my age could absolutely care less. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

8 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

@Mr.SamuraiSword you’re only 17? 

I am only 18. It’s nice to see other people around my age interested in palms. It seems like most people around my age could absolutely care less. 

yeah im 17  ive been into palms since late 8th grade.  it is nice to see other young people with this hobby

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

If you’re down in S Fla March 1/2/3 you should stop by Jeff Searle’s extravaganza...see some amazing palm and meet other ‘mildly’ insane palm fanatics...put a face to the names on palmtalk.

hes located west of Hollywood...click on notice on PT page for details

• Like 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, waykoolplantz said:

Might as well do A1A from Jupiter going south...nice dunes..tons of palms..not really houses...more like castles...including Mar-A-Lago...the defacto southern WH.

Actually get off in Hobe sound and go down A1A through Jupiter Island, lush and beautiful with mega homes.  

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

11 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

If you’re down in S Fla March 1/2/3 you should stop by Jeff Searle’s extravaganza...see some amazing palm and meet other ‘mildly’ insane palm fanatics...put a face to the names on palmtalk.

hes located west of Hollywood...click on notice on PT page for details

Thanks Mike,

Speaking of you young cats (guys), I just got home from Key West this evening after doing our 25th Key West Palm Sale down there. Our dear friend, "like a son" Andre has one of the nicest palm collections in all of Key West. We met him at the 1st annual sale as a 9 year old boy that walked in holding Betrocks Palm book. So 25 years later he's beyond a palm nut like most of us are. So you young guys and gals out there, get interested and stick with it. Your the future!!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

8 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Thanks Mike,

Speaking of you young cats (guys), I just got home from Key West this evening after doing our 25th Key West Palm Sale down there. Our dear friend, "like a son" Andre has one of the nicest palm collections in all of Key West. We met him at the 1st annual sale as a 9 year old boy that walked in holding Betrocks Palm book. So 25 years later he's beyond a palm nut like most of us are. So you young guys and gals out there, get interested and stick with it. Your the future!!!

What a great conversation.  Another advantage the younger guys have is more time to watch things grow.  I am on the opposite end of the spectrum as I am 66 years old.  But, I am an optimist.  I just planted a 3 gallon size Becarriophoenix alfredi.  I'm hoping I'm still around to enjoy it when it becomes that monster that dominates my front yard.  :-)

• Like 3

Zone 9b/10a

17 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Thanks Mike,

Jeff,

I will take that to heart, I was the one who stopped by last week and got the Areca Vestiaria and Cyphophoenix elegans.... I am in it for the long haul! It was nice to meet you by the way...

• Like 2

Up north, Norfolk has a really nice botanical garden with loads of camellias.  Surprising number of outdoor palms for so far north.

The Jacksonville area has the southern tip of the Sea Islands where you can visit a genuine plantation complete with slave quarters, presented by the National Park Service.  St. Augustine presents a completely opposite view of colonial history to Charleston.  The South Carolinians were the aggressors who burned the town down, kidnapped residents and forced them into slavery....

It will be spring in some of the hardwood forests around the springs.  Silver Springs and Ichetucknee Spring have particularly lovely forests with oaks, sugar maples, and other trees of fertile soils.  

Botanical gardens:  Kanapaha (Gainesville), Leu (Orlando), Bok Tower (Lake Wales--it has a generous endowment, so it largely pays its own bills.  Admission covers housekeeping and keeping the guests happy and entertained).   Marie Selby (Sarasota).  This year's theme is Gauguin.  Fairchild (of course).  Montgomery Botanical Center, though it may be too much effort to make an appointment to visit--it's not a family place.    Mounts in West Palm Beach is limited in size but very well designed and maintained.   If you are into bonsai, Heathcote in Fort Pierce.

Colonial Williamsburg made the NY Times list of 52 places to go in 2019.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 2/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, ck_in_fla said:

What a great conversation.  Another advantage the younger guys have is more time to watch things grow.  I am on the opposite end of the spectrum as I am 66 years old.  But, I am an optimist.  I just planted a 3 gallon size Becarriophoenix alfredi.  I'm hoping I'm still around to enjoy it when it becomes that monster that dominates my front yard.  :-)

Eye-opener for me as well. 
Started growing palms and all other exotic plants in the age of 16-18 and now turning 31 this year, where did all the years go? Oef...

Edited by Exotic Life
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Southwest

3 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

Eye-opener for me as well. 
Started growing palms and all other exotic plants in the age of 16-18 and now turning 31 this year, where did all the years go? Oef...

Absolutely...

I built the home we live in now back in 1983.  My father owned 14 acres down by Orlando International Airport.  There were huge Queen palms growing near the lake.  With unlimited water, those things were huge.  Some were so large, I couldn't get my arms around the trunks.  And, the trunks were almost like Royal palms, smooth and gray.  You seldom see Queen palms that are so healthy these days.

I dug up a small group of seedlings from below, wrapped them in a large towel (to keep my trunk clean), drove them to my new home and planted them in my new yard.  Now, more than 35 years later, I have a group of four Queen palms all curving away from each other.  These are more than 60 feet tall.  Several of my neighbors always comment how beautiful these trees are.  I always think to myself that they should have seen the parents of these trees as they were truly magnificent...

• Like 4

Zone 9b/10a

Great story. 
I also moved out of my parents home and only have a balcony right now so I am still the organiser of my parents garden. 
Palms don't grow that fast over here as in Florida but it is amazing to see how many growth palms in my parents garden have produced under northwest european standards in 14-15 years. 

• Like 1

Southwest

On 2/13/2019 at 1:56 AM, Dave-Vero said:

The Jacksonville area has the southern tip of the Sea Islands where you can visit a genuine plantation complete with slave quarters, presented by the National Park Service.  St. Augustine presents a completely opposite view of colonial history to Charleston.  The South Carolinians were the aggressors who burned the town down, kidnapped residents and forced them into slavery....

Definitely recommend Saint Augustine. It has to be one of my favorite cities in the Southeast. Lots of palms and history there. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

6 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Definitely recommend Saint Augustine. It has to be one of my favorite cities in the Southeast. Lots of palms and history there. 

Think we will be hitting there . we leave tomorow! wish us luck!

1 minute ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Have a safe trip and have fun :)

• Like 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Florida is a pretty fun place! All of South Florida (to probably anyone who does not live in the state and even some people who live in the state) is like a huge botanical garden! Stay safe as well, once you get into some of the cities in Southeast Florida the driving can be pretty intense at times! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

If you travel the west coast of FL up from the Keys, keep in mind the Fakahatchee Strand. Also, Naples Botanical Garden is worth a look.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Saw our first palm 20 minutes North of Charlotte nc. A windmill near a lake. 5 minutes after crossing the sc boarder I saw 2 hurricane cut sabal palmetto and later on some more established ones at a rest stop. We are passing through Colombia now and I'm seeing quite a few sabal palmetto palms no pics as it is too dark

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Saw our first palm 20 minutes North of Charlotte nc. A windmill near a lake. 5 minutes after crossing the sc boarder I saw 2 hurricane cut sabal palmetto and later on some more established ones at a rest stop. We are passing through Colombia now and I'm seeing quite a few sabal palmetto palms no pics as it is too dark

Sounds exciting! The Charlotte area is full of windmills. There are also a few Sabal palmettos in that area as well, but they aren't as common until you reach South Carolina (aka the Palmetto State) 

• Like 2

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Stopped by the same place that sparked my palm interest back in 2015 with sabal palmetto Old pic vs now with my brother as a height reference.16406558_1329433013787074_3461603601837788662_n.jpg.1b687b514101329495cf0ef4923096a5.jpg

IMG_20190219_051651_468.jpg

20190218_222740.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, waykoolplantz said:

Is your brother catching the palm bug too ?

Not as much as me but he is eager to learn what I know and has an interest 

11 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

My neck of the woods. Columbia is loaded with Palmetto's ,butia,and trachy's. Occasionally you see a washington of some flavor as well as a CIDP here and there. 

Saw lots of common palms in Georgia. Pinto palmetto washy date etc. Also saw some queens and dead ones from 2018 winter.  Also a pygmy date palm.

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

• Like 1

For Pseudophoenix sargentii your best bet is long key state park, on the golden orb trail I believe there are some reintroduced specimens, some might even be trunking. (The most mature individuals are a bit off trail, or if you are feeling adventurous I guess you could go to Elliott Key)

Seeing royal and coconut palms now that we are in cocoa beach. Saw some tall sabal palmetto earlier. 

IMG_0074.JPG

• Like 1

Welcome to the jungle! Stop by the nursery if your in the area. Especially the weekend of the 1st of March. Drive safe.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

you're in my neck of the woods now)

If you get a chance, drive down Merritt Island on South Tropical Trail (sr 3) and just roll down your windows.  Stop by the FIT campus too.

Brevard County, Fl

When you get into Palm Beach through, either on I95 or the Turnpike check out the "roadside" plantings of palms. So far I've seen Chambeyronia, Bismarkia, Latania, Hyophorbe, Coccothrinax, Syagrus, Dypsis, Cocos, Copernecia, Acoelorraphe, Areca, Wodyetia, Roystenia & these pictured (not sure). I'm sure their are a few I haven't mentioned. Have fun!

-Randy

IMG_6995.JPG

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Once you get to that little "hump" in Southeast Florida (around West Palm Beach) you'll start to see a lot of crazy plants you definitely won't see anywhere else in the U.S. other than places like Hawaii. 

20190221_194234.jpg

PalmTreeDude