LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Southeast Baltimore County Lowest Annual Temperatures (Past 20 Years)

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

So being the palm dweeb that I am, last night I was researching the lowest annual temperatures for Baltimore (my hometown) and I realized that the lowest temperatures were recorded at BWI airport. The airport is cooler than my location and I was curious what the same temperatures were in areas closer to me. So on the days where the lowest temperatures were recorded, I searched the temperatures at the weather stations closest to me and these were my findings for the past 20 years: 

2019: 8°
2018: 5°
2017: 12°
2016: 12°
2015: 4°
2014: 6°
2013: 15°
2012: 15°
2011: 15°
2010: 16°
2009: 10°
2008: 16°
2007:  12°
2006: 16°
2005: 13°
2004: 8°
2003: 8°
2002: 12°
2001: 15°
2000: 8°
1999: 10°

20 year Average: 11.8° Zone 8a

This change to zone 8 is reflected in the Arbor Day Foundation Hardiness zone map. Despite some zone 7 winters, the majority of winters are zone 8 here (which excites me tremendously!!!!!!) 

I just thought this was interesting for those curious about microclimates since I live in one generated by the Baltimore metro on one side and the Chesapeake Bay on the other. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NC_Palms

Nice work. I never realized that BWI was a cool 8a climate. If you want more accurate data for your location, I recommend that you invest in a weather station. You'll probably be surprised how warm your location is. 

Also, check out WeatherUnderground. You can browse different weather stations and compare microclimates nearby. 

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

I was using wunderground and old Farmer’s Almanac for my local spot haha. BWI is cooler than my area. For each temperature I saw from BWI, my area was 2-4° warmer. 

• Like 1

Allen

There are a lot of drops below your 8a zone though.  I did a similar spreadsheet for my area and of the last 16 years (all that I did) no temps dropped below my zone.   Your nicest palm choice is a fortunei which you would need to protect from Mid Dec or Jan to Mid Feb, March

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Hey y’all! 
      I’ve recently grown a love for Sabal Minor and it’s becoming my favorite cold hardy palm. I’ve seen reports of it in Maryland on Dave’s Garden, and it seems to be bulletproof in my climate (no damage in a normal winter and only takes minor damage in extreme temperatures). The gardener lives in Centreville, MD and reports that Sabal Minors (and R. Hystrix) not only survive, but thrive in his area. This is very promising for me since his area is pretty much a similar latitude to mine and he is in a zone 7a while I’m 7b. He also reports Sabal Louisiana as having very similar hardiness (so mines have a chance!). But I would also like to buy some normal Minors and Hystrix in order to have something that doesn’t cause me to lose sleep on colder nights 

I was wondering where I could buy some good quality Minors and Hystrix. I prefer the larger Minors like those found near the NC coast but I’m open to anything. I’m also wondering about your experiences with bare root Needle palms. I ordered a bare root 3 years ago and it died before winter even arrived (which I believe to be transplant shock since they don’t like having their roots disturbed). Now, that one needle is dead and it’s carcass is still in my garden... mocking me. If you have any suggestions or experiences, let me know! 
    • Hillizard
      By Hillizard
      Does anyone have experience growing Argyrocytisus battandieri  (aka Pineapple or Moroccan Broom)? I just got one today and based on some online research, it looks to be quite easy to grow and very hardy, in terms of both heat and cold. I do wonder if the flowers actually have a strong pineapple scent? https://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2015/05/how-to-grow-argyrocytisus-battandieri.html

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      I’m thinking about trying Trachycarpus Fortunei again this year. I’ve tried 3 before. The first winter had a low of about 12° in which 1 spear pulled (but made a full recovery), 1 died, and 1 was fine. I mulched the bases and wrapped them all in burlap for that winter. The more damaged ones were planted out in the open and the one that was fine was planted in the open but next to an evergreen shrub on the Northwest side. The next spring/summer I added a Wagnerianus. The next winter was much harsher with a low of 5° and ice storms. I was preoccupied and pretty depressed during that period and didn’t have the motivation to protect any of them. They all croaked (I even had a Sabal minor ‘McCurtain’ that bit the dust after almost no damage the previous winter). 
      Anyways, I’m hoping to try a Fortunei again this year. I’m thinking about doing somethings different to insure success. I’m getting my Fortunei from Plant Delights in a cultivar called ‘Greensboro’ which is reported to be a hardier strain. I’m also thinking of planting it closer to my house on a Southwest wall with a stone/concrete (not entirely sure what the material is to be honest) foundation. 
      I’m curious to know what are the experiences y’all have had with Fortunei in the Mid-Atlantic zone 6-8. I’ve seen huge specimens grown in DC and the surrounding areas. Especially at the home of some guy named Panama John. I saw a huge windmill in Alexandria, VA (zone 7a) online which has to be about 2 stories tall.  If Fortunei’s can grow in DC and Northern VA, they should be able to grow in the Southeastern Baltimore region. Their climates should be roughly the same (Though being slightly further north, Baltimore could even be a little warmer due to the influence from the Chesapeake Bay as during winter storms, my area is usually below the freezing line and gets a wintry mix or rain). 
      So for my area (For the past 20 years, 6 Winters have been 7b, 1 has been 7a, and 14 have been 8a), what precautions would I need to take to aid a Fortunei? My native soil doesn’t drain the best and is usually soaked for a day after a rainfall (I’m going to do the Soil mason jar test on my soil for a more accurate picture). I was thinking about putting a huge bucket over the palm during freezing precipitation. Would I need to apply heavy protection to the palm? I’ve heard they don’t like being overprotected so I don’t want to smother them. Do they get hardier with age? (I’ve heard the younger ones are wimpy). Sorry for all the questions, I’m just in a pickle haha.