LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Southeast Baltimore County Lowest Annual Temperatures (Past 20 Years)

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

So being the palm dweeb that I am, last night I was researching the lowest annual temperatures for Baltimore (my hometown) and I realized that the lowest temperatures were recorded at BWI airport. The airport is cooler than my location and I was curious what the same temperatures were in areas closer to me. So on the days where the lowest temperatures were recorded, I searched the temperatures at the weather stations closest to me and these were my findings for the past 20 years: 

2019: 8°
2018: 5°
2017: 12°
2016: 12°
2015: 4°
2014: 6°
2013: 15°
2012: 15°
2011: 15°
2010: 16°
2009: 10°
2008: 16°
2007:  12°
2006: 16°
2005: 13°
2004: 8°
2003: 8°
2002: 12°
2001: 15°
2000: 8°
1999: 10°

20 year Average: 11.8° Zone 8a

This change to zone 8 is reflected in the Arbor Day Foundation Hardiness zone map. Despite some zone 7 winters, the majority of winters are zone 8 here (which excites me tremendously!!!!!!) 

I just thought this was interesting for those curious about microclimates since I live in one generated by the Baltimore metro on one side and the Chesapeake Bay on the other. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NC_Palms

Nice work. I never realized that BWI was a cool 8a climate. If you want more accurate data for your location, I recommend that you invest in a weather station. You'll probably be surprised how warm your location is. 

Also, check out WeatherUnderground. You can browse different weather stations and compare microclimates nearby. 

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

I was using wunderground and old Farmer’s Almanac for my local spot haha. BWI is cooler than my area. For each temperature I saw from BWI, my area was 2-4° warmer. 

• Like 1

Allen

There are a lot of drops below your 8a zone though.  I did a similar spreadsheet for my area and of the last 16 years (all that I did) no temps dropped below my zone.   Your nicest palm choice is a fortunei which you would need to protect from Mid Dec or Jan to Mid Feb, March

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Some of my palms that I’ve collected. Many of these are not going into the ground as they wouldn’t stand a chance haha. Theyre all a bit rough looking due to neglect and me being away. 
      This is a Chamaerops Humilis which I bought from a Maryland Lowe’s as a blue pot. It’s pretty big and I may try it outside but I’m not sure. It may not work out. 

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Hello!
      I am absolutely elated to finally be a part of the palm community! I gained an interest in hardy palms around 2 years ago and was enamored with the idea that palms could possibly grow here. However, I was a bit "over zealous" and did not consider the other factors that would limit palm growth and thus, many perished the first year. The fatalities were 1 Trachycarpus Fortunei, 1 Rhapidophyllum Hystrix (died due to transplant shock before the cold even began), 2 Butia Capitatas (I don't know what possessed me to believe that these were going to survive), and Sabal Tamaulipas. The survivors were 2 Trachycarpus Fortunei (1 spear pull), 1 Sabal Minor 'McCurtain', and 1 Rhapidophyllum Hystrix (Lowe's Blue Pot from DeLand, FL). All of these eventually croaked the next winter. Many of these were in bad spots to begin with (due to my own ignorance) and in poor soil.
      I am deciding to try again this year and learn from my mistakes. I want to try Sabal Minor 'McCurtain' and 'Louisiana', Sabal Brazoriensis, and maybe Sabal Etonia. I have a South facing wall along the foundation which seems to be a microclimate; as snow often melts quicker near said wall than the area further out. I live in Central Maryland, Outside of East Baltimore. The 2012 USDA puts me in 7b and the Arbor Day 2015 has me in Zone 7-8 (however I think zone 8 is a bit of a stretch ). Maryland Winters here are "interesting" to say the least. The usual highs hover around 45 and usual lows are around 25-30. It's not uncommon to have warmer or cooler periods with highs in the 50's or 30's. During storms, my area is usually on or below the freezing line and we get rain, wintry mixes, or freezing rain. It does snow here, but it's not usually very deep and melts within a day or two. Blizzards can occur, but are rare. Regarding Annual minimum lows, it's usually 7b temperatures with some winters flirting with 7a or 8a. If anyone here (or a climate similar to here) has any tips or experiences, I would love to hear them. Happy Palming!