Dave-Vero

Time to start planning California spring wildflower visits?

Dave-Vero

The wet winter in California  is hinting at a big flower season for the places with lots of spring annuals.  Any rumors yet?

Silas_Sancona
1 hour ago, Dave-Vero said:

The wet winter in California  is hinting at a big flower season for the places with lots of spring annuals.  Any rumors yet?

Not hearing anything yet, but yes..  anyone with an interest in seeing / studying the diversity of them should probably start planning some trips.. I'd anticipate this should be a big year across the state, including in the deserts, and in accessible areas which were effected by last years' wildfires.. 

With the current weather pattern also sending us here in AZ more rain than in recent years,  and based upon what i have already seen flowering early out on some trails ( and in my yard ), spring wildflowers should also be good here as well, especially up in the foothills north and east of Phoenix, and areas around Tucson.  Deserts west and southwest of Phoenix are questionable.. but they've also benefited this year rain-wise.  The one caveat this year is the heat, at least here.. Stays mild /warm but not rushing into the 90's + through April, flowers will hang around longer, especially if we're still getting some showers through that time. 

Start planning, and have those cameras ready..

• Like 1

Silas_Sancona
42 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not hearing anything yet, but yes..  anyone with an interest in seeing / studying the diversity of them should probably start planning some trips.. I'd anticipate this should be a big year across the state, including in the deserts, and in accessible areas which were effected by last years' wildfires.. 

With the current weather pattern also sending us here in AZ more rain than in recent years,  and based upon what i have already seen flowering early out on some trails ( and in my yard ), spring wildflowers should also be good here as well, especially up in the foothills north and east of Phoenix, and areas around Tucson.  Deserts west and southwest of Phoenix are questionable.. but they've also benefited this year rain-wise.  The one caveat this year is the heat, at least here.. Stays mild /warm but not rushing into the 90's + through April, flowers will hang around longer, especially if we're still getting some showers through that time. 

Start planning, and have those cameras ready..

** A quick amendment to the above post,  updates from Desert USA's  Desert Wildflower Reports are already reporting good, early shows in Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree NP,  other parts of Southern CA, around Phoenix, and down in Tucson.

• Like 1

Dave-Vero

Gotta get busy fast.  Tucson and Anza Borrego are good targets.  From Florida, the cheapest flights are always to LAX, but who wants to go there?

Silas_Sancona
6 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Gotta get busy fast.  Tucson and Anza Borrego are good targets.  From Florida, the cheapest flights are always to LAX, but who wants to go there?

huh, interesting...

I'd think flying into Sky Harbor, (Phoenix) or directly into Tucson would be cheaper from FL, vs. flying further west to LAX.  Especially if your ideal itinerary were spending the day / a couple days exploring Tucson / areas close to Tucson, than making a trip down i-8 to explore Anza Borrego and maybe Joshua Tree, if time permitted.. then perhaps heading back to Phoenix  to fly back home.. Not too bad on time.. Worst traffic would be around Phoenix.. You could also opt to fly home from San Diego ( just west, over the hill from Anza Borrego) and maybe take an extra day to do some quick exploring there before leaving.

Dave-Vero

Orlando-Los Angeles is busy and highly competitive.  There are tight business links between the two urban areas.  As in Disney, Universal, and some Defense and Space companies.  Regrettably, it's a yucky airport to fly into if your aim is to escape the urban mess (apologies to local residents).

DoomsDave

Yeah, I'd plan, if I didn't live here.

With all the rain, it's lusher than a Hollywood AA meeting  . .. . . URK

Jesse

Anyone been to Carrizo plains before for super blooms? I would love to take my family camping to see it and take the scenic route through the mountains.

Silas_Sancona
5 hours ago, Jesse said:

Anyone been to Carrizo plains before for super blooms? I would love to take my family camping to see it and take the scenic route through the mountains.

Can't speak from direct experience ( Didn't end up making a planned trip there in 2012. Completely missed the opportunity in '17 ) Everything i have heard from people i have talked to, who had explored the area during such events has been positive..  Lots of ground to cover,  but well worth the trip / experience.  Same thoughts regarding the Poppy Preserve in the Antelope Valley ..though i don't think you can camp there or bring dogs ( if you have any )

Keep an eye on the wildflower report updates from Desert USA, and C.P. Monument's Facebook / Twitter pages. I'd suspect if the area keeps getting periodic rain, esp. if storms over the next 3-5 weeks are mild, followed by a stretch of not too cold / too warm too fast days, the area should start really lighting up starting sometime around mid-March..  

Saw an article related to the potential for another big season there, and at the Poppy Preserve this afternoon. KTLA had another article discussing what are looking like great prospects for Anza Borrego today also. 

• Like 1

Josue Diaz
On 2/11/2019 at 12:27 PM, Jesse said:

I was in Carrizo in 2017 during the super bloom. I'll look for pics to upload. Layia platyglossa as far as the eye could see. 

Edited by Josue Diaz

Josue Diaz

20170414_160916.thumb.jpg.dc1d33861be5b0b0ab034aa38835c355.jpg

20170414_124327.thumb.jpg.852d0e3fd671a32e714ff81665a2f250.jpg

20170414_124423.thumb.jpg.7096f7011ca31eb7e7b308505d15be7b.jpg

20170414_124458.thumb.jpg.ede05783fb7eec39e29b3ad1ad6a4d8c.jpg

Dudleya were just coming into bloom

20170414_135641.thumb.jpg.4bbce9f3dfd77bf63a79d3a20d4dcbec.jpg

And there is quite a bit of ancient art on many of the rock formations there.

20170414_151210.thumb.jpg.51aea44d6fa24ad324a3504b9d511744.jpg

• Like 3

Jesse

Thanks @Josue Diaz, That looks spectacular.  Now I need to figure out when to go. Would you happen to know what area exactly to go to find the different patches of color?  I don't remember where I saw it but I remember one picture where the hills looked like they were painted different colors.

Josue Diaz

Not quite sure actually. Salvia and lupinus albifrons are blooming now, but the fields of the annual lupine might be sometime in the spring. March tends to be a wet month in general, so I would say early to mid-April might be when all the annual wildflowers go into a riot. This was carrizo. 

20170414_121220.thumb.jpg.3c39714eff75de6d65b8f70f2f070cac.jpg

Carrizo vegetation is a little different from Sierra Nevada foothill vegetation. This is in the hills east of Fresno after a rainy year. Notice the endless brodeia. 

20170319_083214.thumb.jpg.2cd1bd05361afd4d21cdd62ca0eee20c.jpg

• Like 2

Hillizard

Josue: Thanks for sharing those wildflower images!! That was a treat. The Lupinus albifrons in my front yard likely won't be blooming for another month at least, compared to that beauty in your picture. Even your pooch seems to be admiring it (or the view?). :D

Lupinus.png

• Like 1

Dave-Vero

Wow.  I'm over obligated through April and too sick at the moment to be interested in locking in a flight.  Looks like with the latest downpours everything will be going off!