IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with Trachy

Tom Ace

Hi!

I'm worried about my Trachy.  The leaves recently started to go dark brown-black, working from the bottom up.  

Originally I thought that it wasn't getting enough light, but it has really spread quickly.  Past couple of weeks has seen 8-10 fronds darken and dry up.  

Please see pics.  What should I do?  Was planning on planting out in May.  I want to keep it healthy!

Note* I had a second trachy in which all fronds turned dark brown when I first brought it inside in November.  I had to trim off all of them and leave the spear.  That one is growing decently now. 

Ideas?

Thank you!

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Palms are finicky when overwintered inside. Zifool gave some good advice; place your palm outside when you get some mild temperatures. Other than that, it should bounce back when you place it outside again in the spring. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

OK so we don't think it's something fungal or anything like that? 

Will putting a humidifier in the room help?  It overwintered last year just fine indoors, though it was in a different spot, with more light and in a slightly humidified room that was also a little cooler.  

I have several potted trachy.  If it's a fortunei please put it outside unless the low temps drop below 18-20F or so and highs are above freezing.  Put it on the south side of the house in a sheltered spot preferably tucked right beside house in sun.  Bring in if you hear 'arctic air' or a ice storm.   Old leaves will act like this during winter as all palms die back old leaves in low light or low humidity.  This is what I think it is but hard to tell for sure.  

I just took a look at your forecast and I'd try to put out the palm the end of this month or 1st of March as temps allow.  

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Tom Ace said:

OK so we don't think it's something fungal or anything like that? 

Will putting a humidifier in the room help?  It overwintered last year just fine indoors, though it was in a different spot, with more light and in a slightly humidified room that was also a little cooler.  

If your spear looks good and you give it a gentle tug and it doesn't pull out AND the newest few leaves look healthy you're good IMHO.  As for humidifier, keep away from air vents and it's hard to raise humidity in house.    If you have a garage since it's unheated the humidity will be better there and you can put the trachy out there if temps remain mild. But I'd put outside as much as possible when temps permit.

Here's my larger potted one.

IMG_E2212.JPG

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

16 minutes ago, Tom Ace said:

Thanks everyone. 

FYI, the humidity in that room averages around 30% in the winter. 

That is way too low for a palm.  50-60 min.  That and low light is what's getting it.  Put outside as soon as you're comfortable.  

Just for an idea.  A pic of my humidity levels charted here at my house.  A little blurry but bottom blue (3) is indoor, next green (2) is garage and rest are outdoor humidity for me.  

IMG_1243.JPG

Edited by Allen

I just lost a 7 gallon potted trachycarpus. It did fine all winter. Barely needed watering. But it passed away suddenly and all of a sudde. Tons of white worm like bugs came out of it.  Side note when I bought it. It showed signs of some root stress but seemed to grow very well in summer