IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing livistona alfredii

palmad Merc

I've just germinated a bunch of these beauties, and I have been asking my Australian counterparts how to have success with them, so far I have been told they are a little bit touchy in their specific requirements.

I'd like to pick the brains from the palmtalk family on this species.

Anyone growing these?

I suspect there maybe a few in So Cal.

PhotoGridLite_1549359642761.jpg

Yes, I presumed that in habitat they have a distinct wet and dry season, so wouldn't mind plenty of water in the summer and kept more on the drier side in winter, out of habitat in a cooler climate.

I germinated about 400 of them last year. A friend sent me heaps of seed and they all came up. Just the other day I planted a 3 leafer into full sun on a 32C day and it didn't burn or anything. We had a 36C day last week and it still looks perfect. So they handle strong sun from the get go.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 4 months later...

I’m looking to find a couple of seedlings to grow up n plant, as I’m not the most expertise in growing palms from seeds.  I did see them on RPS for sale, but trying to find someone who already did and can 1 or 2.  I am growing and planting as many livi’s in my garden.  Have 7 species and looking for this one and Cariensis.  I just got my hands on Enduiensis and Victoariae.  

Let me know if you know anyone selling maybe 1 or 2 seedlings.  Awesome palm. 

On 2/5/2019 at 11:42 PM, palmad Merc said:

I've just germinated a bunch of these beauties, and I have been asking my Australian counterparts how to have success with them, so far I have been told they are a little bit touchy in their specific requirements.

I'd like to pick the brains from the palmtalk family on this species.

Anyone growing these?

I suspect there maybe a few in So Cal.

PhotoGridLite_1549359642761.jpg

Better late than never. They need a deep pot for germination, since they send down a long radicle prior to sprouting above soil surface and, even more remarkably, they produce at same time a respectable amount of real roots. 33 cm at least are necessary for germination. Later you can raise seedlings higher during potting up individually. On the positive side, you can germinate several seedlings in a deep community pot, because seedlings can be separated easily.20190622_202040.thumb.jpg.7847303ddb558e07f90edb0337b336bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even if radicle will break away near its distal end, it could be still hope for the seedling to survive. Just pot up seedling deeply enough, so that still connected seed remains half buried.  This way seed and cotyledonary petiole will absorb from soil all necessary moisture to continue feeding the seedling, as long as there are still available resources. Seedling receives thus an enormus help to get over the damage.  In present case damaged seedling had been accomodated in a 20 cm deep pot.

20190622_202050.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2019 at 12:49 AM, Briank said:

I’m looking to find a couple of seedlings to grow up n plant, as I’m not the most expertise in growing palms from seeds.  I did see them on RPS for sale, but trying to find someone who already did and can 1 or 2.  I am growing and planting as many livi’s in my garden.  Have 7 species and looking for this one and Cariensis.  I just got my hands on Enduiensis and Victoariae.  

Let me know if you know anyone selling maybe 1 or 2 seedlings.  Awesome palm. 

Did you ever find them? I don’t think you can fail germinating these. I bought 20 seeds off eBay(still available). I put them in a bag with damp peat moss, left it in my garage, and in less than a week all have germinated. I might have spares in a few months if you still want to go that route.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:55 PM, Phoenikakias said:

Better late than never. They need a deep pot for germination, since they send down a long radicle prior to sprouting above soil surface and, even more remarkably, they produce at same time a respectable amount of real roots. 33 cm at least are necessary for germination. Later you can raise seedlings higher during potting up individually. On the positive side, you can germinate several seedlings in a deep community pot, because seedlings can be separated easily.

Radicle or seed petiole?

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Radicle or seed petiole?

Can you figure out from the following pictures?20190505_145712.thumb.jpg.33a39e7ad6fd88abc79292f5a15df92d.jpg20190505_150110.thumb.jpg.f12435c1f37fff077f8dc1ddc666f986.jpg20190505_150105.thumb.jpg.ee525fa3b5c154ec7ffdd6f4dc0a3acc.jpg

On 6/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, Pal Meir said:

I can’t detect the seed (+ seed petiole):

408835370_LalfrediiSeedling.thumb.jpg.000f5d8af97ffc6e29d125acbd104f1d.jpg

Cf. this Livistona sp with only short seed petiole:

1798164220_Livistonadrudei2016-04-18.thumb.jpg.adfd5c58dc8b40cb56f9063a0f26ba89.jpg

Here are same seedlings after they had been individually potted up. Seedlings had been substantially lifted up, so I think everything is visible.

20190505_171807.jpg

20190505_171803.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias

On 6/24/2020 at 12:03 AM, Meangreen94z said:

Did you ever find them? I don’t think you can fail germinating these. I bought 20 seeds off eBay(still available). I put them in a bag with damp peat moss, left it in my garage, and in less than a week all have germinated. I might have spares in a few months if you still want to go that route.

Yeah let me know.   I’m no good at Germinating seeds and not looking to get a bunch, often have to get a bag full of them.  Just want a couple.  Hope they working out 

I said that and then tonight find a rodent took off with 4 of the seeds/sprouts   I put the remaining seedlings  at a higher position and tomorrow will set up traps . Oddly these were all he was after out of all the seeds available, they must smell good.

10 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I said that and then tonight find a rodent took off with 4 of the seeds/sprouts   I put the remaining seedlings  at a higher position and tomorrow will set up traps . Oddly these were all he was after out of all the seeds available, they must smell good.

They don't like washies or queens - they only go for the good stuff!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

48 minutes ago, Fusca said:

They don't like washies or queens - they only go for the good stuff!

Yeah, you always wonder why everyone landscapes with the same boring plants, and then you learn why. 

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

All the ones I planted died. My soil is too wet in winter. I will stick with australis. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here is one of mine. It has rooted well, as I can lift whole pot by grasping only plants stem. It spent two recent winters in my cold frame.20210625_095011.thumb.jpg.4d383f92be8bc2d23b8966a2b8d2b4cd.jpg20210625_095058.thumb.jpg.b9d09ce6c801999a47c3a6261774bfad.jpg

• Like 2