Sign in to follow this  
NC_Palms

Growing Trachycarpus from seed

NC_Palms

I collected a bunch of Trachycarpus fortunei seeds a while back and I have no idea what to do with them. They are very difficult to clean. Should I just throw them in soil? I’ve germinated a lot of palm seeds but never these. <_<

5BD77BE8-FA12-4680-8B66-3657C47E0B8E.thumb.jpeg.bd1834ea7ab2153613cdd4b2add8e55a.jpeg

Rickybobby

In my experience. I just did the water soak for a day. And put them as is. In a baggy with moist peat perlite. And put them on top of my furnace. So they see warm and cool swings and I’ve had great results just takes time 

• Like 1

Laaz

I just throw them in a community pot of garden soil & keep them moist. The usually sprout within a month. Seperate them once they get about 8-12 inches tall.

• Like 1

Fusca
16 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

I collected a bunch of Trachycarpus fortunei seeds a while back

Do you remember where you collected them?  Hopefully there was a male plant nearby since Trachycarpus fortunei are dioecious palms.  Hope they are viable for you!

Jon

• Like 1

Laaz

From my experience with my trees, if they aren't pollinated the seed aborts long before they mature.

• Like 1

NC_Palms

Thanks everybody for your help. I guess I'll throw some seeds in a pot and hope they come up when it gets warmer. 

4 hours ago, Fusca said:

Do you remember where you collected them?  Hopefully there was a male plant nearby since Trachycarpus fortunei are dioecious palms.  Hope they are viable for you!

Jon

I collected these in a nearby neighborhood, specifically off of my aunt's palm. I would imagine that the seeds are viable since they all past the float test and I also saw many naturalized trachies in the neighborhood and in the nearby forest. 

Fusca

Very good!  I tried to germinate unpollenated seed a couple of times with no success before I learned that they were dioecious.  I used to think all palms were monoecious back when I first started growing palms 20 years ago.  I've got a 3½ year old Trachy from seed in the ground that is roughly the size of a 5-gallon plant.  It put out about 15 leaves this past year and is still pushing!

• Like 1