Sign in to follow this  
GeorgiaPalms

January/February Winter Garden Pics 2019

GeorgiaPalms

I thought it may be cool to post photos of the garden as it appears this winter. Please posts pics of your own garden as well. I am in North Georgia, a cold zone 8a.

20190204_134917.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

GeorgiaPalms

20190203_170811.jpg

20190203_170816.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

GeorgiaPalms

20190204_101744.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

GeorgiaPalms

20190203_170852-min.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Nj Palms

Nice! Have seen those pitcher plants before in bogs near me. They are actually native to the pinelands.

• Like 1

GaDawg

See those pitcher plants everywhere down here. I’m about 25 minutes from the Okefenokee. 

GaDawg
On 2/4/2019 at 1:54 PM, GeorgiaPalms said:

20190204_101744.jpg

Nice looking Windmill. I’m hoping the 3 I have will look as good. 

GeorgiaPalms
22 hours ago, GaDawg said:

See those pitcher plants everywhere down here. I’m about 25 minutes from the Okefenokee. 

That's great! There is a variety of Sarracenia Minor that grows in the Okefenokee that gets very large. S.Oreophila is also native in North Georgia in some mountain locations.

22 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Nice looking Windmill. I’m hoping the 3 I have will look as good. 

Thanks! I started that one from a 15 gallon just starting to trunk a few years ago and it has really taken off!

GaDawg
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:11 PM, GeorgiaPalms said:

That's great! There is a variety of Sarracenia Minor that grows in the Okefenokee that gets very large. S.Oreophila is also native in North Georgia in some mountain locations.

Thanks! I started that one from a 15 gallon just starting to trunk a few years ago and it has really taken off!

They grow in the ditch alongside the highway. Never really thought of them as a landscaping plant. But, looking at yours, I might have to incorporate them somewhere.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Merlyn2220
      By Merlyn2220
      Almost 20 years ago I escaped the frozen tundra of Michigan and moved into the sauna of NW Orlando.  It's hard to describe the abrupt transition, but I was pretty sure that I moved into an oven.  Despite the oppressive heat and humidity in the summer, it was far better than spending September-April indoors and never seeing the sun!
      I lucked out when I moved, as I bought very cheap just before a huge price jump in the Orlando housing market.  I found a nice house on about 3/4 acre of land with a great looking canopy of about 40 big oaks and a few pines.  What I did *not* luck out on is my ignorance of southern oak trees.  I didn't know that they were *not* the typical Northern red oaks with strong root systems and 200+ year lifespans.  Nope, I had 40+ "Water Oaks" (Quercus Nigra) that have a 30-50 year life span, shallow root systems and really weak limbs.  Branches fall on a nearly daily basis, punching holes in my roof, denting my cars and making a continuous mess of the yard.  Hurricanes came through and mangled the oaks, taking several down and pushing others over sideways, cracking my driveway in several places.  I was annoyed by basically everything in the yard and just ignored it for at least 15 years.  I spent all my time training for and racing Ironman Triathlon and various Ultramarathons, racking up over 50,000 miles biking and 10,000+ miles running.
      After years of indecision and neglect I finally started to tame the jungle of weeds and ferns, starting with taking down about 15 water oaks and a couple of tall pines in 2015.  Below are the "before" pictures, with a full canopy of water oaks and a huge crop of ferns.  When I first started my palm obsession I found the PalmTalk build threads incredibly useful.  What follows is my journal, documenting building my own tropical paradise in a little corner of NW Orlando.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I went to a nursery called The Great Big Greenhouse and Nursery and they had a pretty good selection of palms for my location. Unfortunately, I could not find any cold hardy species. I am kind of surprised they didn't have some Sabal minor or Needle palms. But they did have some pretty cool non hardy (to this area) palms. 

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #1
      This little guy is growing slowly but surely. The spear in the middle is starting to make itself more prominent. 

• SEVA
      By SEVA
      I figured I would start a new topic giving an update on some of my palms and other things growing in a Virginia garden.  Now that I've had a little more free time, I've been catching up on quite a bit of weeding and such.  It's still a work in progress.  Hopefully, I can get the photos to load.  Ever since getting a different phone I've had some difficulties uploading photos, so trying the computer.