IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Slight Nitrogen Deficiency. Am I missing anything?

Wclaburn

I have a couple of Phoenix Dactylifera with some yellowing fronds on both old and new growth. They are located on the 8th floor of a building in Houston TX so needless to say the wind is constantly active. Had a soil analysis done that shows a slight Nitrogen deficiency with all other micro and macro nutrients within range. Before I treat and because the nitrogen numbers were slightly below normal range,  I was wondering if I'm overlooking something? The beds are square planters with a landscapers mix soil so it drains very well. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We really need photos to figure out what is going on. Welcome to PalmTalk

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

**Correction to original post, it's the new fronds mainly.** We are seeing this around town and around the TX Gulf Coast area in general. We've had above average rainfall for several months now. Although the iron was within range, we seem to think that maybe a problem as well. We are seeing this in trees in solid clay soil and sandy loamy soil as well. Thank you for welcoming me to the Palm Talk page. It's great to see others as passionate about palms as I am. 

I have seen Dactylifera growing in the worst possible soil imaginable. In Morocco they literally grow in sand, grit, concrete, rubble etc. I mean they grow in the rocky areas of the Sahara desert where nitrogen rich soils are almost non-existent. As long as they get plenty of strong sunlight and are able to put a large taproot down into the ground to access subterranean water, they are good to go and pretty resilient. The only thing that does them in is excess rain and high humidity, and especially prolonged wet-cold weather. 

Are you sure the palm in question isn't just a one-off variegated variation? I have seen palms randomly put out these variegated fronds that look like that. Chamaerops have a reputation of doing that, occasionally, but I have also seen CIDP's with variegated fronds as well. I could be wrong, but the Dacty in that pic you uploaded looks like it is just variegated, which is a malfunction in its genetics which causes fronds to appear that colour. Usually the palm grows normally for years, then when the mutation occurs, it starts putting out yellow/golden coloured variegated fronds. 

I don't know whether that is for sure what is happening to your Dacty, but I have attached an image of a CIDP with these variegated fronds, for comparison...

image.png.92a266ca7ea4e6ff9e7d9bf5176314c5.png

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

looks a little like lethal yellowing, but I' ask someone more experience than I about that.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

According to this document, TPPD generally affects the oldest fronds first, and usually changes to reddish brown to dark brown or grey quickly.  The spear leaf death might not be visible or obvious from a distance.  LY also tends to affect the oldest fronds first, and looks pretty much the same as TPPD in Phoenix species.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp163

To me the photo looks like a severe iron deficiency, which usually causes the new leaves to turn yellow-green or even white.  If it's iron deficiency it could be caused by mucky soil or root rot, among other possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know if it is diseased but it looks nutrient deficient with those stunted, pale fronds. It is also way overtrimmed. Someone needs to find a tree trimmer who knows what he's doing.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Turns out, the only palm tree the Texas A&M agriculture extension service has to compare a soil sample to is a phoenix roebelenii. Does anyone know where I can find an acceptable nutrient range chart in ppm for different palm trees? Thank you!

These are desert palms with low water requirements, they grow established long term without irrigation in arizona many public places.  They do HATE wet roots in winter like most desert palms.  Maybe your soil is too wet and the roots have rotted(not much nutrient uptake in rotted roots).  A desert palm like this is a container will require really good drainage and many other plants will not like how dry that soil is.  There are better choices for houston rooftops.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank