IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea Radicalis

David_Sweden

I got a bunch of seeds from DoomsDave in 2016 which turned into 22 seedlings of which I put 2 or 3 each in 8 bigger pots and have given them away to friends so that I now have 2 left. I'm keeping one myself. Anyone reading this forum can have the remaining one for free but you'd have to pay for shipping (or pick it up). No point asking if you're outside Europe, it'd bee too expensive to send. It's also more fun to have in Europe maybe since it isn't available anywhere in Europe as far as I have seen. Cheapest shipping I can find is PostNord for 122 SEK within Sweden and 351 SEK (~€35) to the European countries I checked (e g France, Germany, Denmark, Norway).

Cold hardy, very easy to manage, accepts anything from little light to full sun. This is the version with stem. Becomes only 2-3m high and one of few palms that ca blossom and have fruits indoors. Grown in 70% coir and 30% seramis. Height 75 cm from soil surface 94cm from the floor). In the pic with 4 palms it is the one to the far left:

1186180551_181006(6)-1cr.thumb.jpg.e373d434c80db791b033cad52a5455ae.jpg

1478873742_181006(7)-1b.thumb.jpg.5a24e19077bad4d6fb20c0389d33963e.jpg

1168792709_180922(3)c1234.thumb.jpg.c9afc7d510a7c60250bec593433e92c4.jpg

This is what it can look like when bigger:

2096144323_Palmpedia24halvliten.thumb.jpg.67ba0172f455fc13247f662cf856da96.jpgPalmpedia11.jpg.5ddc186470fd92be4ff49c97c7e333f1.jpg

Edited by David_Sweden
More pics
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

They look great! Im having troubles keeping mine alive, i will repot them this spring and start treating them as agaves:D

Sorry to hear that. I find them very forgiving and easy to manage. Maybe you water too often or haven't flushed the soil at least every 2 months, or have them in deep shadow? That's all I can imagine can kill them, but that would kill most indoor plants. (Not counting extreme events like being overrun by steamroller and such.. ;))

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David_Sweden said:

Sorry to hear that. I find them very forgiving and easy to manage. Maybe you water too often or haven't flushed the soil at least every 2 months, or have them in deep shadow? That's all I can imagine can kill them, but that would kill most indoor plants. (Not counting extreme events like being overrun by steamroller and such.. ;))

Hey don't steamroll my Palms!  :floor:       Ohh man that was funny!

On 2/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, David_Sweden said:

No steamroller:D but rootrot very fast:(

Hi all,

all my little C. radicalis (seeds from Dave) are overwintering in a dark and cold cellar. I water them slightly once a month. They all look healty.

Maybe to much water at low temps and less light?

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Subwoofer, mine are in coir/seramis, I doubt they can get root rot then due to the excellent drainage (but the high water capacity makes it interesting..)

Palmensammler, I don't keep any plants in the dark so I have no experience, but sure, if dark and cold then rather too little than too much water, I would use a cheap (1-rod) moisture meter and water thoroughly when very slightly moist (2 on a scale of 10) then empty saucer and hold at 45 deg angle until drips max once per second, and I'd maybe go down to ½ dose fert, depending on how often watered

• Upvote 1

Oh, wow, they're rugged expletives!

Yep, The Happy People Palm is a name that works.

They don't kill easily, not even here in the infamous Death Camp.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

@David_Sweden, want some more seeds? I've got them, and you're spreading the Gospel of Palminess bless your heart!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I really wish it wasn't a death sentence to ship anything to me right now. . .  Then again, considering the density of the container ranch right now, maybe this is for the best.  :D 

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 7:20 AM, @NetoPalms said:

Dave, I'd like some of these!

PM me your address; if you've sent it before, please send again.

Be one of the happy people with the Happy People Palm!

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, DoomsDave said:

Next time around I would enjoy some. :greenthumb:

Edited by RJ

I can tell you these sailed through 16F in the Jan 2018 ice & snow we had without a spot on them.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm just reading this - They saw 16 degrees? Wow... Makes me want to actually try some IN GROUND up here!! I'd love to try some someday. For some reason, I always have great luck with Chamaedoreas. 

• 1 month later...

Same here.  Radicalis are much hardier than microspadix.  They won't have trunk die back until low teens if they are in a semi sheltered location.

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Same here.  Radicalis are much hardier than microspadix.  They won't have trunk die back until low teens if they are in a semi sheltered 

This has to be a palm your growing and selling right =) Definitely not your normal hardy looking palm 

T J 

On 2/20/2019 at 6:33 PM, DoomsDave said:

do you have anymore radicalis or other palms you are willing to give away? i would love to expand my collection