IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

D”jungle.

redant

My backyard jungle. Forgive all the fronds on the ground, been very rainy and windy so I’m loaded up waiting for it to be dry enough for a burn. So much more to my yard but here is a taste. 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

That's an awesome collection of palms and cycads!  I'm kinda glad I don't have that much land, I'd never be able to keep up with all of that. :)  I saw a few palms that I couldn't figure out:

• At the beginning, just as you are walking through the gate, there's a ~20 foot tall palm with very vertical fronds, to the right of the Beccariophoenix.  What's that one?
  • That giant Attalea Cohune around 7:00-7:20 is awesome!  I'm guessing I've ID'd it right, correct?
  • There's a couple of trunking palms around 8:00-8:10, what are those?  Kentiopsis?
  • I caught a funky rainbow trunked tree at 9:00 but didn't see the rest of it?

33 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

That's an awesome collection of palms and cycads!  I'm kinda glad I don't have that much land, I'd never be able to keep up with all of that. :)  I saw a few palms that I couldn't figure out:

• At the beginning, just as you are walking through the gate, there's a ~20 foot tall palm with very vertical fronds, to the right of the Beccariophoenix.  What's that one?
  • That giant Attalea Cohune around 7:00-7:20 is awesome!  I'm guessing I've ID'd it right, correct?
  • There's a couple of trunking palms around 8:00-8:10, what are those?  Kentiopsis?
  • I caught a funky rainbow trunked tree at 9:00 but didn't see the rest of it?

Yeah the land can be a blessing or a curse. The fronts just as large but more yard like, more formal. I take care of it all and enjoy it. To question 1 the only palm I think your talking about is just a coconut, bit of a curved trunk?  The attalea is a cohune.  The palms at 8, 8:10 are Beccariophoenix madagascariensis  . The rainbow trunked tree is a Rainbow Eucalyptus, the colors vary from the time of year, it's not real colorful right now.  It gets much better from time to time.

IMG_4599.JPG

• Like 3

Jupiter FL

Nice tour of the garden.  Kind of difficult to see w/ narrow aspect ratio and a couple glasses of wine.  Where is the water view video?  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Yep, that's the coconut with the slightly curved trunk.  Apparently I need to work on my crack palm ID skills!  :D  Speaking of which, there's an understory palm at 13:25 with windows that looks sorta like a Licuala, but isn't?  What's that one?

I *might* actually be able to grow a rainbow eucalyptus here, but way far away from the house due to hurricane risk.  Eric @ Leu said they planted one that went from 3 to 15 feet in 1 year!

BTW - I officially hate you now.  Or maybe I'm just jealous. :floor:

Beautiful garden! You nailed the jungle look! I also like the wide open spaces throughout your yard as well! How big is your yard & how many palms/ cycads in your collection? 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

15 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

Nice tour of the garden.  Kind of difficult to see w/ narrow aspect ratio and a couple glasses of wine.  Where is the water view video?  Thanks for posting.

I'll try a better one when I clean up the fronds. Really never a day when fronds will not be lying around lol

Jupiter FL

15 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Yep, that's the coconut with the slightly curved trunk.  Apparently I need to work on my crack palm ID skills!  :D  Speaking of which, there's an understory palm at 13:25 with windows that looks sorta like a Licuala, but isn't?  What's that one?

I *might* actually be able to grow a rainbow eucalyptus here, but way far away from the house due to hurricane risk.  Eric @ Leu said they planted one that went from 3 to 15 feet in 1 year!

BTW - I officially hate you now.  Or maybe I'm just jealous. :floor:

The palm you question is once again Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, this is what they look like as babies. My rainbow eucalyptus is very far away from my house, the thing grows insanely fast.

Jupiter FL

11 hours ago, James760 said:

Beautiful garden! You nailed the jungle look! I also like the wide open spaces throughout your yard as well! How big is your yard & how many palms/ cycads in your collection? 

total property 2.5 acres, the back jungle is about 1.25 . One day I counted royals, over 100. I'm guessing a 1,000 palms or so. 

Jupiter FL

2 minutes ago, redant said:

The palm you question is once again Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, this is what they look like as babies. My rainbow eucalyptus is very far away from my house, the thing grows insanely fast.

Oh I should have known that one, I've looked at enough fenestralis in the past.  Your collection is really amazing!  I have about 100 palms, 20 bananas, 15 cycads and 30 or so agaves in 0.75 acres, and just in a few small spots am I getting close to the "jungle" look that you've achieved.  My front yard is also more formal with edged beds and grass (well, mostly weeds).  The back yard is where all the monsters live, so I can look at them all the time! :D 

32 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Oh I should have known that one, I've looked at enough fenestralis in the past.  Your collection is really amazing!  I have about 100 palms, 20 bananas, 15 cycads and 30 or so agaves in 0.75 acres, and just in a few small spots am I getting close to the "jungle" look that you've achieved.  My front yard is also more formal with edged beds and grass (well, mostly weeds).  The back yard is where all the monsters live, so I can look at them all the time! :D 

Yeah my wife prefers the more normal yard, I like the jungle. We now both have what we want. 

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

1000 palms! Wow that's insane :yay:! I can't say I wouldn't do the same :D

That's a great property size you have there. I can imagine all the morning coffee walks as I type this... wifey would have to put a tracker on me just to find me! I'd probably never be inside the house. Just to sleep lol!

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

8 hours ago, James760 said:

1000 palms! Wow that's insane :yay:! I can't say I wouldn't do the same :D

That's a great property size you have there. I can imagine all the morning coffee walks as I type this... wifey would have to put a tracker on me just to find me! I'd probably never be inside the house. Just to sleep lol!

Lol, my wife never knows where I am, and during daylight I'm outside. 

Jupiter FL

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:10 PM, Mike Evans said:

Here you go.   The water is a natural tributary of the Loxahatchee river. 

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

1 hour ago, redant said:

Here you go.   The water is a natural tributary of the Loxahatchee river. 

Thanks for the second video!  I think I saw your Kerriodoxa Elegans at the very end, just to the right side after you zoomed in on the seeds.  Is that it, or is that another fan palm that I need to buy?  :D

I also think I saw a "Siam Ruby" banana on the South side of your dock, I tried a couple of those and every one has died quickly.  The "Margarita" hybrid relative also just melted and died, so I've given up on them despite the really pretty red-green leaves.

Amazing what can be accomplished in zone 10. That has gotta be one of the top palm yards here on the forum. I love the video format.

55 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Thanks for the second video!  I think I saw your Kerriodoxa Elegans at the very end, just to the right side after you zoomed in on the seeds.  Is that it, or is that another fan palm that I need to buy?  :D

I also think I saw a "Siam Ruby" banana on the South side of your dock, I tried a couple of those and every one has died quickly.  The "Margarita" hybrid relative also just melted and died, so I've given up on them despite the really pretty red-green leaves.

I do have 2  Kerriodoxa Elegans , they have been exceedingly slow for me. You can see the smaller of the 2 at around 2:37, behind the double royal, it's kinda small. The palm you see is Latania lontaroides  I don't know any of the names of the banannas, one I think is a Musa balbisiana 'Black Thai' that someone gave me.  The palm with the seeds is a Arenga engleri, a really great little palm. I have several seedlings from this palm, looking forward to growing more. 

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

24 minutes ago, Tropicdoc said:

Amazing what can be accomplished in zone 10. That has gotta be one of the top palm yards here on the forum. I love the video format.

The second video was done late in the day, the lack of light seems to make it a bit jaggy when I move. Not really a video expert and a phone is clearly not an awesome tool for this. To the best of my knowledge I probably have one of the best collections for how far north I am.

Jupiter FL

29 minutes ago, redant said:

I do have 2  Kerriodoxa Elegans , they have been exceedingly slow for me. The palm you see is Latania lontaroides  I don't know any of the names of the banannas, one I think is a Musa balbisiana 'Black Thai' that someone gave me.  The palm with the seeds is a Arenga engleri, a really great little palm. I have several seedlings from this palm, looking forward to growing more. 

I'm pretty sure the Latania would be hopeless at my house, if they defoliate in the upper 20s.  The "Black Thai" banana is interesting when it gets older, the pseudostem turns black with age.  I was thinking that the seeding palm was an Arenga, that's a really nice shrubbery-sized palm!  I have one and want to grow more too!  I think I spotted the Kerriodoxa, one in the middle of the forest and the second around 8:15.  Is that correct this time?

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I'm pretty sure the Latania would be hopeless at my house, if they defoliate in the upper 20s.  The "Black Thai" banana is interesting when it gets older, the pseudostem turns black with age.  I was thinking that the seeding palm was an Arenga, that's a really nice shrubbery-sized palm!  I have one and want to grow more too!  I think I spotted the Kerriodoxa, one in the middle of the forest and the second around 8:15.  Is that correct this time?

I had updated the post, you probably didn't see. "I do have 2  Kerriodoxa Elegans , they have been exceedingly slow for me. You can see the smaller of the 2 at around 2:37, behind the double royal, it's kinda small."  The one you see is a Pritchardia, I forget which one but not pacifica, I have one of those which maybe you can find, it's in the video and always looks bad in the winter.  Anyone want to identify the one at 8:15 help yourselves. I think I bought one called blue moon and a hillebrandii, I have a total of 4 in the ground so IDK which this is. 

Jupiter FL

22 minutes ago, redant said:

I had updated the post, you probably didn't see. "I do have 2  Kerriodoxa Elegans , they have been exceedingly slow for me. You can see the smaller of the 2 at around 2:37, behind the double royal, it's kinda small."  The one you see is a Pritchardia, I forget which one but not pacifica,

Gotcha, I missed the edit.  I see the Kerriodoxa now, that is definitely small!  I picked up one about twice that size for $35 in December.  :)  I've been looking for Pritchardia, but most of them would die in a mild winter in NW Orlando, even inside a lanai.  But that one and the licuala waving in the breeze are really cool!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 1:40 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

Gotcha, I missed the edit.  I see the Kerriodoxa now, that is definitely small!  I picked up one about twice that size for $35 in December.  :)  I've been looking for Pritchardia, but most of them would die in a mild winter in NW Orlando, even inside a lanai.  But that one and the licuala waving in the breeze are really cool!

Check out Leu gardens. They have a number of Hawaiian Pritchardias in the garden.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)