IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Citrus and Avocado Season in Fresno

Josue Diaz

Winter is citrus and avocado season in Fresno.  I took a walk at a local garden during my lunch hour. Here are a few pics. Hope you enjoy. 

First this avocado. It recently lost a massive branch due to the stress caused by so much fruit. About a third of its mass had to recently be removed after a wind storm. 

20190201_130902.thumb.jpg.6a75c27d0b188aca96f238a90030af71.jpg

How many avocados can you count here?

20190201_130805.thumb.jpg.6a99fddd8c40655090cd7073d6798e30.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is a variegated pink lemon. 

20190201_130851.thumb.jpg.5e962f4eab2701a87a8a1772d08224bf.jpg

This variety blooms throughout the year so there is typically fruit at all stages of maturity at any time of year. 

20190201_130700.thumb.jpg.6997bba441d5963a72b4b0b4a800dcf5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

my personal favorite for sheer ornamental value: Buddha's Hand Citron. The leaves are so large and tropical looking on this variety. 

20190201_130833.thumb.jpg.235936a95b9df249cc6d3c602b6508c8.jpg

• Like 3

I get weak knees with some of these agaves. Isn't this Blue Glow just spectacular?

20190201_130730.jpg

• Like 3

The curators at the garden were very generous. Here was my haul from today.  Three avocados, a pink lemon and a Buddha's Hand Citron. 

Also, notice all the seed in the gutter - those are washingtonia!

20190201_125729.thumb.jpg.cbc682eabedbc2ce335aabebd98666b5.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Here was my haul from today.  Three avocados, a pink lemon and a Buddha's Hand Citron.

Very nice!  I've seen one "Buddha's Hand Citron" here at our botanical garden before but not while fruiting.  I wonder (but doubt) if this one would come true from seed?  I've grown some

Meiwa kumquats, calamondins and grapefruit from seed as well as a sunquat (lemonquat) but not sure what kind of fruit I'll get from the latter!  :)  At first glance of the tree I thought the avocados were Haas but obviously not from your close-up shot.  Hope you didn't trip on those washy marbles!!

Jon

Jon Sunder

Jon, I think the Buddha's Hand is an actual species so it may come true form seed, but I doubt these have any seeds. I can check the fruit I got once I cut it up. Good on you for growing from seed! Grafting citrus is really easy, so barring any strict quarantines on citrus budwood and rootstock like we have in California, you could always graft known varieties onto yours. 

Every time I've asked about what variety this avocado is, I get a different answer. Some say it's Hass, but it definitely isn't. It looks more like a Fuerte or one similar to it. Hass has the characteristic thick, dark black-green, bumpy skin. The skin on these is smooth and green. A friend and I will be using the seed to grow rootstock. There are member of the California Rare Fruit Growers Association (CRFG) who will be sharing scion wood for grafting onto these later (Aravapaia, Duke, Wilma, Grande, Mexicola, Bacon, some seedless variety...) Lots of exciting stuff! 

@Fusca

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1

Haas is pretty much all that is available in stores here (from Mexico).  My ex-girlfriend used to have a huge avocado tree in her yard and would make me milkshakes from the fruit that fell and they looked similar to the ones you have.  They are more sweet than the Haas.  I've seen the 'Joey' variety for sale here, but don't know how much more cold-hardy they are than the Haas.

I've never tried grafting before - I'll have to look into that!

On 2/1/2019 at 4:05 PM, Josue Diaz said:

Jon, I think the Buddha's Hand is an actual species so it may come true form seed, but I doubt these have any seeds. I can check the fruit I got once I cut it up. Good on you for growing from seed! Grafting citrus is really easy, so barring any strict quarantines on citrus budwood and rootstock like we have in California, you could always graft known varieties onto yours. 

Every time I've asked about what variety this avocado is, I get a different answer. Some say it's Hass, but it definitely isn't. It looks more like a Fuerte or one similar to it. Hass has the characteristic thick, dark black-green, bumpy skin. The skin on these is smooth and green. A friend and I will be using the seed to grow rootstock. There are member of the California Rare Fruit Growers Association (CRFG) who will be sharing scion wood for grafting onto these later (Aravapaia, Duke, Wilma, Grande, Mexicola, Bacon, some seedless variety...) Lots of exciting stuff! 

@Fusca

Jon Sunder

Out in the garden yesterday I noticed something interesting with my citrus.  The three plants that I purchased (all grafted) do not show any new growth but my 4 seed-grown citrus are all putting out a lot of new growth like it's spring (it has been a pretty mild winter - 80° later this afternoon).

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder