IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Queen + Foxy Lady, Northern Ca

dub671

Looking to add a Coconut Queen and a Foxy Lady to the yard. Anybody have one, both, or know where to find one around the Bay Area?

-Ed

Your best bet will be mail order. Syagrus x montgomeryana (coconut queen) is randomly available at nurseries like Jungle Jack's and Jungle Music in San Diego county.  Josh Allen had a few of these also. You'll have to scour Ebay for shippable Wodyetia x Veitchia (foxy lady). Florida seems to be where these all originate. 

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Your best bet will be mail order. Syagrus x montgomeryana (coconut queen) is randomly available at nurseries like Jungle Jack's and Jungle Music in San Diego county.  Josh Allen had a few of these also. You'll have to scour Ebay for shippable Wodyetia x Veitchia (foxy lady). Florida seems to be where these all originate. 

I just noticed that the https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/ website has undergone an upgrade! Unfortunately, 'Foxy Lady' seeds still aren't available. :bummed:

RarePalmSeeds.png

Hi Josue,

I'll be sure to email Phil at Jungle Music. Have ordered from him in the past but just checking locally first.

Hi Ben,

I'm in San Jose. I don't mind driving TOO far, and have a honda element that can transport roughly a 6-7ft tall plant.

1 hour ago, dub671 said:

Hi Ben,

I'm in San Jose. I don't mind driving TOO far, and have a honda element that can transport roughly a 6-7ft tall plant.

Edmund - we get palm deliveries driven up from SoCal several times a year, spring through fall.  PM me for details - but nice 15g Coco Queens are easy to procure that way.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Laaz - I got the notification for that same Variegated foxy lady this morning. Not sure how sun tolerant it would be here in South San Jose. The only available spots in my yard gets beat down with sun all day.

12 minutes ago, dub671 said:

Laaz - I got the notification for that same Variegated foxy lady this morning. Not sure how sun tolerant it would be here in South San Jose. The only available spots in my yard gets beat down with sun all day.

You need a green form, AND to give that some shade even.  Variegated Foxy's are shade palms here, at least in the East Bay (one of the seven circles of Hell, heat wise!)

Anything coming from Florida will need serious sun acclimation - otherwise it will burn to a crisp, at least in my summer desert sun.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

7 minutes ago, dub671 said:

Agree, the variegated form might get beat up a bit.. I'd stick with the standard green form if i were planting one there myself. 

Aside from the great leads already suggested, i thought there was someone down in S. Cal. who'ed posted a thread last year regarding numerous, possible X Foxy lady seedlings in his yard.. Not sure if he was holding on to them or what though.. 

Of topic for a sec, which part of South San Jose are you located?.. Grew up in Cambrian Park / Blossom Hill area, or roughly the border of Los Gatos / Almaden Valley.

Thanks for the tips guys. Will keep my eye out for a regular foxy lady, or possibly just pass. Not looking to baby/stress out too much over whatever I plant.

Silas_Sancona - Grew up in the Almaden Valley. Now living in the Blossom Hill area.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 5:53 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Aside from the great leads already suggested, i thought there was someone down in S. Cal. who'ed posted a thread last year regarding numerous, possible X Foxy lady seedlings in his yard.. Not sure if he was holding on to them or what though.. 

I might be the poster you were talking about.... This is my post...

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/57646-fox-droppings/&tab=comments#comment-862273

I'm still not sure what the seedlings are, but I have done nothing with them... Kinda waiting for warmer/dryer weather and a little more growth to maybe, be sure what hey are...

Butch

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

I might be the poster you were talking about.... This is my post...

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/57646-fox-droppings/&tab=comments#comment-862273

I'm still not sure what the seedlings are, but I have done nothing with them... Kinda waiting for warmer/dryer weather and a little more growth to maybe, be sure what hey are...

Butch

Thanks Butch, yes, this was it.. 

Couldn't remember if you'd said you had planned on letting them gain some size, and a more definitive ID before doing something w/ them, or had decided otherwise.  Will be pretty sweet if they turn out to be Foxy crosses for sure.. 

3 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Thanks Butch, yes, this was it.. 

Couldn't remember if you'd said you had planned on letting them gain some size, and a more definitive ID before doing something w/ them, or had decided otherwise.  Will be pretty sweet if they turn out to be Foxy crosses for sure.. 

One can only hope...:unsure:

Butch