IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Opinion of Cambell Gro Green Fertilizer

GDLWyverex

Greetings all

I have just been gifted a carton of Campbell Grow Green 20-30-10 fertilizer and I am seeking opinions on whether I should use it.and even buy more.

I have over 500 unique species of plants in my collection with some 40 species of palm and 25 species of cycads. Hence; my collection is general and my interests are more towards healthy growth than blooming.

How does this fertilizer fit with these criterion???

Thanks

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

Speaking from nutrient-deficient FL, I hate to discard any fertilizer. But I suggest you research the requirements of your plant groups then use it on those that want fertilizer high in nitrogen, very high in phosphorous but much lower potassium. Speaking generally, nitrogen promotes foliage growth, phosphorous promotes flowering (and fruiting, I believe). Here in FL, soil is critically low in potassium but high in phosphorous in many areas. Phosphorous runoff in waterways is a prime contributor  of pollution and algal growth so a reading of 30 phosphorous content sends me running for the exit. Nitrogen is also problematical. From June 1 through Sept1 (rainy season) each year our county enforces a fertilizer blackout against nitrogen and phosphorous. So I keep a bag of 0-0-24 (N-P-K) of potassium on hand to deal with a fertilizer problem.

In summary, I'm saying definitely use the fertilizer but take time to research where. Whether you should buy more, I can't say.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Richard, the Cliff Notes summary... 

Palms prefer a fertilizer with the  ratio of 3-1-1 for the macronutrients Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K).  Palms also need a broad spectrum of the micronutrients as well, including Boron.  Calcium and Magnesium should be balanced in the amount of each.  Phosphorus is not that important, since it is not very soluble, and is mostly used to stimulate flowering.  Potassium is very soluble, and is the most common deficiency.   Small frequent doses of fertilizer are better than infrequent large doses.  Synthetic salt fertilizers harm some members of the soil microfauna because of the high osmotic potential of the salt.  Organic fertilizers are better and less toxic.  However they may be inadequate in potted plants or in outdoor beds that have a large number of large plants in a small surface area.  (My garden, for example!) :D  Any fertilizer is usually helpful and better than not using any.

Here is a link to a site for further reading,  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep273

Also, Yah, what Meg said !   I think your gift fertilizer has too much Phosphorus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Way too much P for palms and cycads. Also, it is the #1 cause of algae blooms because people use too much and it gets into waterways from runoff. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks so much for the valuable info. I'll use this batch in a watered down application and then get a more reasonable fertilizer for future use..

Thanks

Richard