IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia Hospita in Z 9b

mike-coral gables

In spite of the cooler weather we have experienced over the last month or so here in central Florida one of my C Hospita has sent out several inflorescences. This variety as well as C Macroglossa seems to be the best varieties for me . 

2C62EA1F-4C2C-4E48-957F-DD1D80A6BE4E.jpeg

EC5D62A0-45A8-41C7-A362-8EC2859AE018.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

If you offer up seed, I'm sure the entire hoard of California growers will be in your DMs. 

Wonderful plant. Thanks for sharing.

Mike-

Looking at the frond structure and the fact that it is flowering at that size, I would venture to think this may be C. glabrescens, or a hospita x glabrescens. This is relatively common in Florida from my experience. 

• Upvote 1

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

• 4 months later...

Looks like my baby may be setting seed???

4181FCE6-079A-4696-9DA8-CD2EA7BE021D.jpeg

CC576DDF-3EBD-4282-95AC-5D1DCD134033.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just curious - has it ever tried to offset? Here is a pic of my glabrescens that keeps trying to clump no matter how many times I cut the offsets.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1559604046445158679738800929854.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

No clustering observed, cfkingfish thinks it may be c Glaubescens or hybrid with c Hospita . What do you think? 

Copernicia glabrescens seems to be a determined clumper for me. No offsets,I think it's a greener hospita.Very variable species!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year