IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seeding Cycad ID? - any interest in seeds?

PalmatierMeg

An untagged potted cycad is dropping ripe seeds in my back yard jungle. I suspect it might be a Zamia but what species or hybrid I don't know. It is not a Z. furfuracea ("cardboard palm") nor a coontie (too large).

Can anyone tell me even what it might be? Is anyone interested in the ripe seeds? The fruit/seeds are about 3/4" long and 1/2" wide. Thanks.

Seeding_Cycad_ID_01_1-29-19.thumb.JPG.a1b71e745f5c5b22fdffc88e294ed893.JPGSeeding_Cycad_ID_02_1-29-19.thumb.JPG.6439efbf6440b517abc38ded9fef9191.JPGSeeding_Cycad_ID_03_1-29-19.thumb.JPG.34c71774a94ec55db44c02ec78bac296.JPGSeeding_Cycad_ID_04_1-29-19.thumb.JPG.032ffc534b9a91626c872f6b17618bce.JPGSeeding_Cycad_ID_05_1-29-19.thumb.JPG.0d3faa17a16a36d3b33ad2101f2f2260.JPGSeeding_Cycad_ID_06_1-29-19.thumb.JPG.6efdc2c64b72835a63eaecf75212b6d9.JPG

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Looks like a Zamia to me with a kind of spinulosa looking leaflet edge. Dunno what variety it might be though. Not that well versed in southern plants yet. How old is the plant in your pic? I'd be interested in seed. Planted a couple hundred Furfuracea seeds today which are also dropping now here.

I believe all Zamias are dioecious so seeds are not likely viable unless there are other Zamias nearby.  Not sure what it is specifically but it's a nice plant!  Perhaps you could cut open one of the seeds.

Jon

Jon Sunder

I have about 20 specimens of potted Zamias (sp/hyd) placed in mostly shade in a 20' x 20' area overlooking the canal in the back yard. A number have coned and these are the first seeds I've seen. I don't know whether Zamias are wind or vector pollinated. Below are photos of the ripe seeds I harvested today. Any thoughts/ideas about them?

Zamia_hyb_seeds_01_1-31-19.thumb.JPG.0596eafbd2f9e8f5cedfed6d4704e2a7.JPGZamia_hyb_seeds_02_01-31-19.thumb.JPG.00096d40ea05b585f06c842cfdc8e0d1.JPG

Meg

Florida

Thanks for the info. I cut open 2 seeds and took the following photo. What is your expert opinion?

Zamia_split_seeds_01_02-04-19.thumb.JPG.aca1ec9d4864ca88deee89f2b81fcb47.JPG

Meg

Florida

I don't see embryos in that photo of the cut-open seeds. Should be in that cavity, almost filling the entire space. If the plant wasn't pollinated then they very-well may not be viable. I'm interested in seeds as well, but if they aren't viable then that's that.

I planted a handful of Zamias a few months ago, and just a few days ago started sprouting some dioon, cycas & macrozamia seed.

My understanding cycads use insects (primarily beetles) to carry the male pollen into the cone for pollination. You can do this yourself by getting male cone and banging out pollen, place pollen in cup with small amount of water, using large syringe and injecting female cone all the way into the pollination channel. You should see the water trickle down from the top of the cone to the bottom. 

1 hour ago, GermantownPlants said:

I don't see embryos in that photo of the cut-open seeds. Should be in that cavity, almost filling the entire space. If the plant wasn't pollinated then they very-well may not be viable. I'm interested in seeds as well, but if they aren't viable then that's that.

I planted a handful of Zamias a few months ago, and just a few days ago started sprouting some dioon, cycas & macrozamia seed.

Thanks for the info. I will withdraw the seeds from sale.

Meg

Florida