Sign in to follow this  
Yunder Wækraus

Great chance to observe FL’s microclimates

Jimbean
1 hour ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Even if Florida avoids the freeze, this cold event should cast light on FL microclimates, including eastern vs. western barrier islands, urban heat islands, and the lake effect, especially for South Bay to Pahokee.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/28/us/winter-weather-monday-wxc/index.html

what's the link for?

You need really cold weather and weather stations all over, like the live interactive map from weather underground to observe microclimates,

Yunder Wækraus
On 1/29/2019 at 7:52 AM, Jimbean said:

what's the link for?

You need really cold weather and weather stations all over, like the live interactive map from weather underground to observe microclimates,

It should have contained a projected heat map showing that peninsular Florida is the only place east of the Rockies to avoid the worst of the cold. I was just saying this is a great chance for folks to report on microclimates; the map I posted is too meta to provide predictions on such things.

Jimbean
4 minutes ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

It should have contained a projected heat map showing that peninsular Florida is the only place east of the Rockies to avoid the worst of the cold. I was just saying this is a great chance for folks to report on microclimates; the map I posted is too meta to provide predictions on such things.

ah I didn't see that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I just happened to find this on YouTube and I thought it was really cool to see. Look at the water. 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcY_OXMHdRE 
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      These pictures were taken during the CFPACS summer field trip.
      When you pull into the parking lot, this is the entrance that greets you:

The gazebo and sign showing the multiple paths:

Plants in this area are available in exchange for a donation to the gardens:

Around the bend starts the Florida Hammock Trail:

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      Saturday I visited Mackay Gardens in Lake Alfred, FL, about 60 miles south of Orlando. It is the former estate of Alexander Mackay, a Scottish businessman. He had a house built in 1915 and hired John Morley, a British botanist to design the gardens. Morley was friends with David Fairchild and DF. would send him plants to try out.
      There are some old palms there one specimen really intrigued me. It looks like a Sabal palmetto but the inflorescences extend beyond the foliage. There is a tall mature Sabal yapa on the grounds not real far away. Could this palm be a hybrid between S. palmetto and S. yapa? 

• Tracy S
      By Tracy S
      Mounts Botanical Gardens is hosting the spring event Plant-A-Palooza on April 27th from 9 am to 4pm and April 2th from 9 am to 3pm.  There will be over 80 vendors throughout the garden. Rare and exotic plants, trees shrubs will be available as will as garden themed art items.
      Event admission is $10 for non members or free for members. 
      This is always a great event with lots of cool plants. 
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      I recently went to this state park and wanted to share some of the sights here.  It was an enjoyable day trip, didn't cost much, and mixed just enough native, untouched Florida with some nice landscaping.  If you would like to visit yourself, you can get more information  here: https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/ravine-gardens-state-park
      The courtyard at the entrance:

Rock garden at the Civic Center:

Bismarckia and large podocarpus:

Pavilion:

Sagos near the Civic Center: