IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Issues with new Kentia

Kariri

I recently bought a 2 foot Kentia with one 3 foot frond from Etsy. It is 2 palms. On arrival, I noticed that there were black dots on the stalks , and other mild blemishes on the fronds. The pot was damaged and some of the soil was displaced. I wanted to repot it and use new soil and used this forum to look at various threads on potting mixes.

I couldn't find pine bark, so I used fir bark. The mixture was roughly 30% FoxFarm Ocean Forest potting soil, 20% Fir Bark, 20% Hydroball (a Leca substitute), and 30% Pumice. I then watered it. It seemed to dry out quickly, and after a few days I noticed yellowing tips on many fronds, so I googled "yellowing tips on palm fronds kentia" and it returned that it may be a sign of underwatering, so I watered it again 3 days later.

Now I notice yellow transclucent dots on the tips of many fronds. I also notice a few dots of black circles within a yellowish halo -- may be fungus? Is it fungus? Overwatering? Potassium deficiency? I also read that yellowing tips and circles at the tips may be a potassium deficiency? The Foxfarm is pH 6.3 - 6.8, but fir bark is acidic? I am new to houseplants in general -- I've noticed that I kill most plants through overwatering than anything....did I overwater?

I picked the Kentia because it is considered the most hardy, plus, I really like the way the fronds curve, but she is my first palm. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Kariri, How is the Kentia doing?  Out of curiosity, I checked my Kentias and noticed that some of them  have occasional black marks similar to your photo.  Likely, a bacterial spot and it could have occurred from growing conditions awhile ago.  There are none on any of my recent fronds, so it has passed through that issue.  I don't know what the other spots are.  For the last pic, you may want to look through a magnifying glass to see if there are any red spider mites/webbing.  The soil mix you are using sounds fine.  It is better to error on underwatering them indoors than to overwater them.  When you water, give a thorough, drenching watering, dump out the excess water from saucer and then do not water again until top 2" soil feels dry to touch.  I wouldn't be too concerned about a nutrient deficiency  - as long as you cover the basics (bright light, watering and regular fertilizing) I think the rest fall in line.  I've been using a generic houseplant fertilizer (diluted every other watering) for over 20 years and mine have always seemed fine with that.  Photo below of my Kentia that I have grown indoors (winter) for over 20 years.  Lastly, you may want to use a black marker to mark the progress of the growing spear emerging from the center; check it each week.  If the mark is moving upwards then you know it is growing.  Keep us updated and let us know how it goes.

162332201_Hforsterianasinglelarge.thumb.jpg.7a84b9934e7a782a3e9f04c2a1418caf.jpg

• Like 1