IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nursery Recommendation

kbob11

Hi everyone,

I am heading down to Myrtle beach in a few weeks and was hoping to find a palm nursery in the area.  I am looking for the really cold hardy species like Needle, Trachy, and Chamaerops.  Do you have any recommendations?  I have only ever bought online and am hoping to pick out some bigger sizes.  I will be going down with a large pickup truck.  Thank you!  

Edited by kbob11

Plant Delights in Raleigh, if you can get over there. I am not sure when they are open though, so you may need to call them. But they have a lot of cold hardy palms. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

Plant Delights is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Myrtle & don't usually sell larger plants. Best bet is to try the orange big box store. Try Plants Direct, they have a place in Conway & Little River. They only carry the common stuff, but larger sizes. Don't know how well they're stocked this time of year though.

Charleston area has a lot better places & inventory as far as palms go.

I am glad you asked this question. I am heading to Myrtle Beach for my first time in a few weeks too and I am planning to bring an extra $100 just to buy plants ;)

I recommend Gary's Nursery in New Bern. He grows a wide variety of palms but focuses mostly on the two NC natives - Sabal palmetto and Sabal minor, which he grows from seeds sourced from Bald Head Island and Craven County. Gary's Nursery may be out of the way if you drive down via I-95 but its definitely worth visiting. Just give him a call before you visit.

http://www.garysnursery.com/index.html

Also don't forget to collect a bunch of seeds when you head down to Myrtle Beach. :lol: :greenthumb:

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Chilly Palm tree co in Charlotte NC sells Needles, Trachyys and Sabal Minors, (The big 3 of cold Hardy Palms)  I have one of his 15 Gallon needles and one 10 gallon sabal in my pool area and expect to add more this summer.   Sean's web page is

http://www.chillypalmtree.com/

Definitely call before heading south

Thank you all for the replies!  Some of these places are a bit out of the way but I may head down a little further to the Charleston area.  I ordered with Chilly palm tree last year but am not sure if they are in business anymore / this time of the year.  As far as the Myrtle Beach area someone told me about Hughes & Hughes nursery in Ash, NC.  They seem to have some good deals and are a bit closer.  Anyone have any experience with them?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Kbob, if you're in the MB area, go to Little River (North Myrtle), once over the ICW bridge Hwy 9, turn right onto 90.  I visit my friends at Coastal Gardens, who have lots of Cold Hardy palm of all sizes, go see Debbie.  My other friends Southern Scapes, are on 501, East of Robert Grissom.  They'll have all types as well.

Have fun!

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

On 1/28/2019 at 12:12 AM, newtopalmsMD said:

Chilly Palm tree co in Charlotte NC sells Needles, Trachyys and Sabal Minors, (The big 3 of cold Hardy Palms)  I have one of his 15 Gallon needles and one 10 gallon sabal in my pool area and expect to add more this summer.   Sean's web page is

http://www.chillypalmtree.com/

Definitely call before heading south

Apparently they are heading up this way in April. Might have to grab one of those 15g trachycarpus!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I have to say.  Hughes and Hughes nursery in Ash NC is incredible.  They were very nice to me and have tons of stock for a great price!  I picked up a 15gal Trachy for $130 and a 30gal needle also for $130 which I think is the deal of the century.  I plan on planting them when the snow melts, hopefully soon =p.

0F4E7D59-4E56-4794-A15B-B95EE32F6D07.jpeg

D2059F27-10DE-422C-BBD0-3AF2E5A25D86.jpeg

E4F5690F-3862-4454-B57F-1D4E5AD484BD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1