IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why is my trachy yellowing at leaf bases?

newtopalmsMD

I have a potted Trachy and I noticed this morning that fronds are turning yellow at the end of each petiole where the leaves attach (see first picture below)  Every frond is doing this.  The petioles are green, it's just the leaf bases.  I have not seen this before.  The pot sits outside in the sun for most of the time (southern exposure) and is taken into the garage after sundown  if night time temperature is predicted below 20 F.   On really cold days or snow events it also stays in the garage under grow lights with the rest of its stable mates.  (second picture)  Garage is not heated and is usually in low 40's in winter.  On the recent 9 degree F night it dropped to 36F. Also I let the top of the soil dry out before watering.  I have had this 16 months and repotted it in April.  Any ideas of why this  is happening and what I should do?

Thanks

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_garage.jpg

Is this a newer frond.  If so i'd guess manganese deficiency.  Does the soil have compost/manure?  If so that is a problem.   Repot with better soil or add a 1/2 recommended palm fertilizer like palmgain till spring if you are keeping inside.  If outside wait till spring and fertilize. Water conservatively in winter check top 1-2" of soil with finger water when dry, approx every 1-2 weeks in winter.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

In maryland I'd just leave in the garage for the next month or so too btw.  no need to fuss.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks Allen,

This is happening on every FROND. The newest spear (first pic) is just starting to spread and has a brown edge (no spear pull).  Also some leaves are developing spots (second pic).  The plant was a blue pot plant from the big box store and my wife replanted it in a larger pot adding miracle grow potting mix. 

Thanks

Pat

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

Miracle grow potting mix I hate because of the added fertilizer and it may not drain well.  <<-- possible problem  but the fertilizer is probably gone in it by now.  I don't see the spots all over in your pics.  Just a few and I wouldn't worry if the spear looks healthy.  I think it needs palm fertilizer but usually you wait till around May to fertilize much.  Maybe someone else will chime in.   Your garage looks just like mine lol

IMG_1119.thumb.JPG.37a1da59e97f9651a8c6819bc6a4bb6f.JPG

Ensete maurelii not a true banana.  Banana are Musa.  Also a huge Alocasia on the far end.  The mid are plain majesties.   This pic is a little old as the garage now has all my hardier potted palms like Trachy, etc.  About twice as many.