IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

pastel colored hybrid Trumpet Tree/Handroanthus (Tabebuia)

Eric in Orlando

This hybrid Trumpet Tree is growing next to the Rose Garden at Leu Gardens. It is a cross of the pink Handroanthus impetiginous and the gold H. chrysotrichus. Both were formerly Tabebuia species. It was planted in Nov. 2003, about 2-3ft tall. It has displayed hybrid vigor as it grew very fast and robust. It has a more narrow habit like H. chrysotrichus but has grown taller than they usually do. The foliage looks more like H. impetiginosus and it has the bristly hairs of H. chrysotrichus but not as dense. The flowers emerge a pale pastel yellow with some pink. They turn more yellow after a couple days then to pale pink before dropping. It will flower twice. Once in January and again in March. It rarely sets seed and they must be sterile as I have never gotten any to germinate.

hanhyb1.jpg

hanhyb2.jpg

hanhyb4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

21 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

hanhyb3.jpg

hanhyb5.jpg

hanhyb6.jpg

hanhyb7.jpg

Great looking tree, thanks for sharing Eric.

Assuming, since it's apparently sterile ...or what seed is produced is of low potential viability,  grafting would be the only means of propagation?  Thought someone had mentioned germinating seed off the L.A. Arboretum's specimen of this cross here on the forum in the past..

Curious how the White Flowered forms of T. impetiginosa  you'd discussed several years ago are doing, assuming they're still in Leu's collection.. 

Bernie Peterson at Rockledge Gardens made this cross. He did lots of hybridizing with H. chrysotrichus, impetiginosus and umbellatus. The seeds would never come true to the parentve to graft for a reliable color. We have several of these tri species hybrids and they range from almost white to pinks, purples and pastel yellows.

The 'Naples White' is doing well. It suffered damage 2 years ago from a falling tree in Hurricane Matthew so it has funky shaped canopy. It did flower last year. Someone gave us seed from another specimen. Not sure if the seedlings will be reliably white.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Beautiful! Dr. Bowden was telling our class about that tree a couple weeks ago. Hope it's still blooming this Monday when I come back.

Just spectacular! I wish I could get viable seeds.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Great tree Eric.  Do you have any photos of the cross that is almost white?  And I have started to grow out a few seedlings from my white
'alba' from Gardino's.  Ken Greby helped me pick out the seedling with pale yellow petioles-hopefully it will be white or something pale.  It's in the ground but a slow grower so don't think it will flower this year as it's still only 2' tall but will keep you posted. 

• Like 1

San Fernando Valley, California

On 1/25/2019 at 11:44 AM, Peter said:

Great tree Eric.  Do you have any photos of the cross that is almost white?  And I have started to grow out a few seedlings from my white
'alba' from Gardino's.  Ken Greby helped me pick out the seedling with pale yellow petioles-hopefully it will be white or something pale.  It's in the ground but a slow grower so don't think it will flower this year as it's still only 2' tall but will keep you posted. 

We have 3 white flowering specimens. One is Handranthus imetiginosus 'Naples White'. Another was donated as H. impetiginosus 'Alba'. It flowered when we first planted it in 2009. Since then, nothing. The 3rd is a white flowering hybrid of H. chrysotrichus, impetiginosus and umbellatus .

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is Handroanthus impetiginosus 'Naples White' from last year.

tabwh.jpg

tabwh2.jpg

tabwh3.jpg

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is the mostly white hybrid from last year, it has some pink blush and a yellow throat

whitehyb.jpg

• Like 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I did see it yesterday- although the flowers were sort of fading. That definitely is one of the most robust and healthy Handroanthus I've seen. Many I've noticed in the area seem to suffer from some kind of deficiency or don't seem as vigorous.

• 2 years later...

My Handroanthus (Tabebuia) heptaphyllus (via Gardino Nursery) is in full flower right now. It's not a large tree yet, but has been blooming dependably for several years already. https://selectree.calpoly.edu/tree-detail/handroanthus-heptaphyllus

That's a silver-blue Butia odorata (formerly capitata) behind it. Also my H. umbellatus has developing flower buds for the first time, so that's something to anticipate. 

Handroanthus2.png

Handroanthus3.png

• Like 3

My spindly Handroanthus umbellatus shot up to over 6 feet the last couple of years and is now blooming for the first time on its skinny branches. At least to me these blooms resemble those of every other yellow-flowered species in this genus. The important thing is that this species is dependably cold-hardy where I live. I'm hoping it becomes a more robust-looking tree over time. That's a Brachychiton acerifolius just starting to leaf-out in the background in the second image. And in the third image you can see a Clytostoma callistegioides (L) and a Millettia reticulata (R) vine on the trellis behind it. 

Handroanthus_umbellatus1.png

Handroanthus_umbellatus2.png

Handroanthus_umbellatus3.png

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Not much of a change in my pink-flowered Handroanthus heptaphyllus (?) from 2021, but it weathered this past cold, wet winter just fine in my 9B zone. What I like about this particular species (variety?)  versus Handroanthus impetiginosus, is that it reblooms dependably in the fall, though with fewer flowers. I got this plant from that Hoya nursery in Florida. That's a mule palm and Butia behind it, both of which have grown a lot since last year!

Handroanthus2023_1.png

Handroanthus2023_2.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump old thread but when I visited Leu Gardens for first time 2 weeks ago it was in full bloom and was spectacular, pastel yellows and pink blush is one of my favorite colors. I finally got around to googling it to see if it was for sale anywhere.. I really hope it can be potentially grafted or air layered, it is my favorite flowering tree of human origin that I have seen.

DSC_0394.png

DSC_0402.png

DSC_0403.png

Edited by Calosphace
  • Like 1

Collector of native, ornithophilous, Stachytarpheta, iridescent, and blue or teal-flowering plants

It's never bad to add to an old thread. That tree is spectacular. And sterile is a plus considering one of the parents is becoming invasive in Florida.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

It just finished flowering for the 3rd time since mid December. Normally it has had 2 heavy bloom periods; Jan. then March but this years 3 so far. I am curious to see if it will flower again in March.

I have put a name on this, 'Peterson's Pastel'. It was created by Bernie Peterson (RIP) at Rockledge Gardens. He also added H. umbellatus into later hybrids then just made hybrid crossed with hybrid mixes and came up with an amazing palette of colors. We have 7 other different hybrids planted in a group with colors that range from white to pastel yellows to bright pinks and purple. None ever set seed. The 'Peterson's Pastel' has set some seed pods in the past but I have never gotten any germination.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, Hillizard said:

Not much of a change in my pink-flowered Handroanthus heptaphyllus (?) from 2021, but it weathered this past cold, wet winter just fine in my 9B zone. What I like about this particular species (variety?)  versus Handroanthus impetiginosus, is that it reblooms dependably in the fall, though with fewer flowers. I got this plant from that Hoya nursery in Florida. That's a mule palm and Butia behind it, both of which have grown a lot since last year!

Handroanthus2023_1.png

Handroanthus2023_2.png

This tree is blooming a month earlier this year than last year. It's bordered by a mule palm and Chilean wine palm.

Hydroanthus1.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2