IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal Palms, Sabals and Alligators in the Fakahatchee Strand by Drone

GMann

Went out to Fakahatchee State Park for my latest drone video. Got some great videos of alligators, sabal palms, and some absolutely huge royal palms growing in habitat, tallest ones I’ve ever seen.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 6

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Great video and beautiful state park! Next time I go to Florida I plan on checking out the royals in habitat. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Nice touch with the Tchaikovsky music !  Are you a fan of the ballet ?   Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Nice touch with the Tchaikovsky music !  Are you a fan of the ballet ?   Thanks for posting.

Never really was, but we took my 3 year old daughter to the Nutcracker over thanksgiving with my parents, and now she is obsessed with it and asks me to put it on youtube all the time. The music is beautiful.

• Like 2

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I have been wanting a close look at the Fakahatchee Strand royals for a long time now, but other than a few pictures and street view there was nothing. 

• Like 3

PalmTreeDude

Another great, drone footage thread.. Thanks for sharing. 

Now regretting not embarking on further exploration, beyond a quick stop to look around, before leaving FL.. On the list when back again though..

• Like 2

Excellent video quality, that was great. I don’t know if I can think of a more beautiful palm than the Royal, and I’ve tried. Curvaceous white trunk, bright green crown shaft, dark green leaves, they are just amazing.  There are palms that might equal, but for me, none surpass. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Really nice! Loved seeing all the gators. I see enough palms everyday. LOl

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks so much for creating and posting this excellent video. Living in a metropolitan area SF Bay Area), I often forget that there are such great expanses of natural land such as this. The gators, water, and birds were an added plus to the palms. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 1/24/2019 at 3:59 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I have been wanting a close look at the Fakahatchee Strand royals for a long time now, but other than a few pictures and street view there was nothing. 

Thanks, from some of the pictures you can see online, it seems that in the rainy season it looks very different: those deciduous trees around the royals are full of bright green leaves, and the sabal prairie is green. I might go back one day in the summer and make a comparison video of the two seasons.

• Like 1

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, Jeff Searle said:

Really nice! Loved seeing all the gators. I see enough palms everyday. LOl

:lol::lol:

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Great views! I love hiking in the Fakahatchee Strand!

Trail - Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve - Collier County - Florida - 22 December 2009

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

You can tell those alligators have become very accustomed to drones!

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat