IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm gardens in Seattle

Palm crazy

I've seen Dave's videos.  I'm glad he started posting again lately.

Palm Crazy any chance you would shoot a video of your garden??

I like to wait till the weather warms up in late spring so I can put all my tender potted plants back in the garden. I guess I could test out the video on my camera once I learn how to turn it on, lol. 

Edited by Palm crazy

On 1/24/2019 at 9:04 AM, Chester B said:

I've seen Dave's videos.  I'm glad he started posting again lately.

Palm Crazy any chance you would shoot a video of your garden??

Hi Chester, I tried doing a video of my garden and they came out great... gives a totally different look & three dimensional looks to my garden than taken pictures, however, I haven't learned how to make the video into a smaller file to post but will try again this spring hopefully I will get it right, LOL! 

Roger, I have always admired your use of strong color.  Please make and share a video of your garden !

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

Thanks Darold, Once I have time to figure out how to use the video on my camera I will,  busy now taking care of a friend who is recovery from surgery. 

Hey I was going to ask you if you wanted 10 Cordyline indivisa seeds? (the real deal) If so PM me with your address and I will send them beginning of February. 

Thanks for the encouragement. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that Jubea from Dave’s yard is fantastic. That’s gotta be one of the largest north of California in existence. That’s some serious dedication.

16 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Any chance a mule palm could survive up there?

They do.  I know Palm Crazy has some and I have some BxJxS that will be planted this spring.  The palm nursery by me has a big one, but it's not in the ground.  I was thinking that I would see if he'd be willing to sell it to me next time I am there.  It might be too big though from my memory, as digging in our soil is pretty tough.  Digging holes more than 2' deep is a major challenge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chester B said:

They do.  I know Palm Crazy has some and I have some BxJxS that will be planted this spring.  The palm nursery by me has a big one, but it's not in the ground.  I was thinking that I would see if he'd be willing to sell it to me next time I am there.  It might be too big though from my memory, as digging in our soil is pretty tough.  Digging holes more than 2' deep is a major challenge.

How good do those grow up there? I know they'd probably survive, but it seems like the lack of heat and sun would hamper their growth.

40 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

How good do those grow up there? I know they'd probably survive, but it seems like the lack of heat and sun would hamper their growth.

Good question, I have no experience and don't know anyone with them.  Our summers are actually pretty warm and pretty much cloudless, but its the October -May where things are cool with a lot more cloud cover.  Butia's seem to grow pretty well, although I don't think nearly as quick as in the SE.  Aside from Trachycarpus I think all the other palms do grow much slower in this neck of the woods.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, GaDawg said:

My growing season is not the same as every year. Some years are very warm & hot and others are cooler. So yes they will grow slower than in the S.E.  My garden is mostly shady so my two mule palms (JxB and BxQ) only get 5 hours of full sun in summer. The lax of heat I try to make up with overhead protection, I'm in 8a with very cloudy - cool winters and mostly sunny in summer. We can grow most anything in the PNW just not exotic palms, LOL! 

Edited by Palm crazy

Also Mule palms, Butia, Jubaea are not long term hardy in 8a in the PNW. You have to be in one of the 8b/9a location for them to get mature. 

39 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Also Mule palms, Butia, Jubaea are not long term hardy in 8a in the PNW. You have to be in one of the 8b/9a location for them to get mature. 

I believe Mules are my favorite palm. Unfortunately I only have one. I got  great deal on it, though. A landscaper in Jacksonville pulled it out of a guys yard and put it on FB Market place.

I just got lucky enough to be the first to bid on it. I was surprised he sold it for just $200.  I planted it last year, so it will look better this year.

(the yard is in its winter stage, so it doesn't look as good as it usually does)

IMG_E0832_(1).JPG

Edited by GaDawg
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I believe Mules are my favorite palm. Unfortunately I only have one. I got  great deal on it, though. A landscaper in Jacksonville pulled it out of a guys yard and put it on FB Market place.

I just got lucky enough to be the first to bid on it. I was surprised he sold it for just $200.  I planted it last year, so it will look better this year.

(the yard is in its winter stage, so it doesn't look as good as it usually does)

IMG_E0832_(1).JPG

Your mule looks awesome! And a great price too, thanks for posting the pic. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Your mule looks awesome! And a great price too, thanks for posting the pic. 

It looked a lot better before I trimmed the bottom fronds off. They were damaged from wind burn. I didn’t expect it too be as big as it was. 

• Like 2