Pal Meir

T wagnerianus as Bonsai

Pal Meir

Trachycarpus wagnerianus seems to be another ideal bonsai palm.

Here an 8 years old palm which got transplanted into ground in 2014:

1019020933_Twagner2011-03-23IMG_5451.thumb.jpg.36ebc0d96929e775a789b7ee3557f135.jpg

And onother one 12 years old in a Ø12cm x H10cm plastic pot:

802770824_Trachycarpuswagnerianus2015-08-01.thumb.jpg.801d18b087e9d51b41df97bfe8a88a4d.jpg

The latest leaf of that now 16 years old palm:

1705448955_Twagner2019-01-23P1050040.thumb.jpg.9296c274265abf366177d8ea73b688cb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

cisco

Beatiful! And so healthy looking. 

hbernstein

How does it tolerate root pruning? Do you bare-root it when pruning or just trim back the roots and potting mix? Any suggestions to keep one healthy long-term in a pot? 

Pal Meir
29 minutes ago, hbernstein said:

How does it tolerate root pruning? Do you bare-root it when pruning or just trim back the roots and potting mix? Any suggestions to keep one healthy long-term in a pot? 

Normally I just trim back some roots and change parts of the potting mix. —

Below the first palm when it was planted into ground in 2014 still as a small bonsai. The next photo shows how it looks at present almost 5 years later, no more a little bonsai.

1012687583_Twagner2014-04-13IMG_7643.thumb.jpg.5abb244dc174b18f8760901d13a903d1.jpg

6980387_TwagnerIMG_9540.thumb.jpg.9accc8dd11fea5e381929920a7762000.jpg

Pal Meir

Oops, the last date must be 2019-01-22, of course: :mrlooney:

1479432929_Twagner2019-01-22IMG_9540.thumb.jpg.185d11bd5f903743906126fcd02d64af.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Henoh
      By Henoh
      My garden is outside of city heat island, about 30 km to the east from Zagreb at weekend house in rural area and the garden is one or two degrees Celsius colder than the city. There are not many palm species but few thrive and some strugle from year to year.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waO7VjkjvN8
      Trachycarpus princeps, geminisectus, ukhrulensis, princeps hybrid/new form, ‘Nova’ and all Chamaerops are pasive protected with heavy mulching with pine straws and for some species with some cover against snow and rain during winter. 
      Same garden under snow two winters ago
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WCB5NSxBpLo
      Here are included pictures from previus winters, January 2017 and February 2018.

• limoncik
      By limoncik
      Hi. Arrange species of the genus Trachycarpus from the most resistant to frost to the least resistant judging from your experience.
      Thanks.
    • Chester B
      By Chester B
      I bought this Trachycarpus early last year and after having it for a while I felt that it may be a Fortunei x Waggie due to its very dark green color and shorter stiffer fronds.  I have a waggie planted  in the same bed and see a lot of similarities between the two.  However this palm grows at lightning speed, easily the fastest one I have producing 2-3 fronds for every one of palm beside it and others planted around the garden.  It also has an exceptionally thick trunk that is getting fatter with age.  Is it simply the natural variation within T.fortunei or maybe a T. nova, or other?  First pic is of the multi tiers of fronds, the second shows the color much better and the third shows it beside what I consider a typical T. fortunei.  The one on the left was taller at the time of planting.  Any insight is appreciated.   

• Chris Wilson
      By Chris Wilson
      Anybody growing Trachycarpus Fortunei Winsan? I have one that is about 5 1/2 years old, it is a very fast growing palm it's around 9 feet tall at its tallest leaf tips now. There is not very much information or photos of this palm, I've read that the mother palm has 360 degree fronds but none of seedlings were showing that trait so far. My palms fronds are getting rounder but are not 360 degrees yet. I also read that it is less hardy than regular Fortunei but since I live in Ohio I have to protect it every winter, the lowest my palm has seen unprotected is 19 f. If anybody has any Photos or information about this palm please share. Here is some photos showing the growth of my palm, the first photo is from a few months after I planted it  August 2016 and the second is what it looks like now August 2018.

• Estlander
      By Estlander
      Planted this Trachy in January this year. Otherwise looks good, but lately the spears have heen turning brown. The growing point smells very musty as well. No spear pulls yet. They’re still tightly in there.
      I hand water it (no sprinklers) and never get the growing point wet with tap water. 
      About a month ago, when i first saw dried out spots on an emerging spear, I sprayed it with copper fungicide, but looking at it yesterday it has gotten worse with two newest emerging spears looking pretty bad.
      I soaked the growing point with copper fungicide yesterday. 
      Considering that this is FL zone 9A with plenty of rain, heat and humid weather still left until cooler weather that these things prefer, do you think this is something that it can grow out of or should i just replace it with something else?
      I’m thinking a single trunk Chamaerops Humilis due to a limited space in that spot.
      In this spot it also gets a few hours of daytime sun, which may complicate things a bit too.
      I wish i had known how difficult these things are to grow and get them to look beautiful in FL before I bought it