IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops humilis Vulcano

Laaz

I have seedlings. It will be a waiting game for me in order to find out whether the seed was true to type. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, this is the problem.  I've talked to a couple of sellers who have germinated seed from a reliable source but their seedlings are not at a point where they show the vulcano traits yet.  I believe I read where only about 40% of the seed develops the vulcano traits.  If that's the case you'd need to buy 3 plants to have a 93.6% chance of getting at least one with the traits.  And it may only somewhat resemble the parent plant.  But the odds get better the more seedlings you have from the same seed batch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

The Chamaerops Vulcano trait occurs along a spectrum just as do Areca catechu dwarfs. And the trait occurs in about 40% of Vulcano seeds - that is also correct. About 10 years ago a knowledgable palm friend in Italy sent me 20-25 Vulcano seeds and told me about the 40% rate. Almost all germinated but most turned to be normal size. I gave away the normal ones. Out of all the seedlings I grew, one, maybe two show the classic Vulcano look (see below). The remainder are somewhere in between full Vulcano and normal. If you grow them from seeds, allow at least 2-3 years to be able to sort them out to some extent. If you find an extreme Vulcano, expect to pay a premium.

2115372351_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano0112-09-17.thumb.jpg.08760a3dbeb43ce4faf2a1be1aa19e7b.jpg

• Like 9

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

7 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If you find an extreme Vulcano, expect to pay a premium.

That makes perfect sense.  Based on your experience only about 10% of seedlings might develop into a beauty like yours!  

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

The palm nursery by me has some big ones, but they are 100% not for sale.  He's using them for seed stock, but no small ones for sale yet.

I have been growing them for 10-12 years. The problem is very few turn out to look like a 100% Vulcano form.   My adults are now 3-3.5 feet tall, grown from seed.  I should have a few three gallon size sporadically throughout the coming year.  If anyone is interested they can contact me privately.  

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Earlier this year I posted my photos on the forum of the European Palm Society. Apparently over in Europe the are many named varieties of Chamaerops people elsewhere have never heard of. I was told my snazzy little Chamaerops was not a Vulcano but perhaps one of two or three named varieties, but still a nice one whatever it is. True? I have no idea and I defer to experts with a working knowledge of this species. 

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 1 month later...

Just ran across this one out of several normal at a local nursery, with a lot of the traits,being sold as a regular med fan palm. It's a very variable species...

(burn is from 47+ days this summer of 110F to 118F highs - our hottest summer ever recorded)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200820_112754511_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200820_112817589.jpg

IMG_20200820_112853845.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Certainly an interesting Chamaerops!!! I bet once in the ground and with plenty of water that palm would fix itself out. I don't think the temp you are experiencing are causing the burn but a lack of water at the same time.

Regards Neil

• 1 year later...

I have been able to grow them from seeds sourced from Spain 8 years ago.  at about 5 years old, i tossed out all the outliers and was left with quite a few i've been growing in tree pots.  they are extremely slow and only take off when placed in the ground.  they exhibit the volcano characteristics of sparsely and highly spaced spines on the petiole and of course the compactness.  below are pics of one i planted in the ground and some from my greenhouse that are 8 years plus in growth.  their growth rate, ive noticed, are extremely variable.  i am very saddened to know that the seed source ive received them from has unfortunately passed away.  the seeds came from a field of chamerops volcano and he advised me that the volcano traits were variable just like sabal lisa and i would need to grow them until they exhibit the specimen leaves to determine the outliers.  i followed his suggestion and the outliers had palmate leaves very early on and not compact in nature with heavily spined petiole

note:  this is eight years growth but they do explode once you put them in the ground.  

image.png.60ec260b086f0de01f78a45297d62aa9.png

image.png.62108055e3aafe12f8fe4f3714149044.png

image.png.4bc76a77236b9e322e7a059a6d7de6b4.png

image.png.9b95a7f561cb6629bdf1a8ec8171294e.png

image.png.741db88e073453af2f23593b4f2854e3.png

• Like 7

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

• 3 months later...

I ordered seeds years ago and none of the ones that sprouted ended up having any of the vulcano characteristics. It's a shame they're so hard to find the US, whenever I do a search there are beautiful grown examples for sale, but all in Europe sadly. I'd like to try again, but RPS just sold out. 

• Like 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

1 hour ago, fr8train said:

I ordered seeds years ago and none of the ones that sprouted ended up having any of the vulcano characteristics. It's a shame they're so hard to find the US, whenever I do a search there are beautiful grown examples for sale, but all in Europe sadly. I'd like to try again, but RPS just sold out. 

I am about to let a few extra go and will post on the for sale section soon.  PM me if you are interested.  I have already sold some to some palmtalk members across the US.  

• Like 4

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

• 1 year later...

This might be a bit too late, but I just ordered a couple small ones from Cistus NurseryThe ones that came are too young to really know if they are Vulcano form but I'm hopeful.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 3:11 PM, fr8train said:

Buyer beware. I ordered what were labeled as "Vulcano" from RPS a few years ago. They sprouted and 100% of them turned out to be Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera. Nice palms, but not what I wanted/expected!☹️

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MattInRaleigh said:

This might be a bit too late, but I just ordered a couple small ones from Cistus NurseryThe ones that came are too young to really know if they are Vulcano form but I'm hopeful.

Would you be able to share a picture? I wonder how they look. 

3 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Buyer beware. I ordered what were labeled as "Vulcano" from RPS a few years ago. They sprouted and 100% of them turned out to be Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera. Nice palms, but not what I wanted/expected!☹️

They've upped their shipping prices so much that I don't plan on ordering from them again. That and all of the stories like yours I've read on here. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, fr8train said:

The roots were about 2" wide and I just repotted them in 3 gallon pots.

IMG_6419.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattInRaleigh said:

The roots were about 2" wide and I just repotted them in 3 gallon pots.

IMG_6419.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

Nice, thank you!

4 hours ago, fr8train said:

They've upped their shipping prices so much that I don't plan on ordering from them again. That and all of the stories like yours I've read on here. 

All true. And the RPS paperwork to import now is very burdensome. I just hope the Ceroxylon sasaimae seeds I got from them a few years ago are the real deal. For a palm that grows so slowly, it'll take decades to determine. 🤔

• Like 3