IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A brief winter tour through my Okinawa garden...

palmfriend

Hello everyone,

after many many days with rain, the sun broke finally through the clouds and I took may chance 

to take some photos I would like to share herewith - if you are interested in an Okinawian winter update,

please be kindly invited and follow me...

001.thumb.jpg.d42f0e36bd5c0dfad0b3db427e5fdf92.jpg

One of my two A. merrillii, fruiting for the first time. (bought many years ago as a tiny seedling - btw. a very common palm over here )

002.thumb.jpg.349f20b0fc77cb3d8fdf617a8c661d1a.jpg

I am going to leave the fallen seeds where there are, let`s see what happens.

003.thumb.jpg.c07583e8d508914abdff0ac931296c8a.jpg

Here a still a potted golden c. nucifera, I think I am going to plant it out this year.(grown from a local coconut)

004.thumb.jpg.269a792584e6c9f8e0f4eda5d585ec7f.jpg

Taking its time to show some growing process - c. fallaensis, but it is ok for me. Probably the first of its species in Okinawa

at all, it will get all the time it needs.(from seed)

005.thumb.jpg.a6deca7aa07eab716e75530d8cc0f116.jpg

Sailing through its fourth winter - C. samoense. It gets some sparks during the colder days, but it will do fine.(from seed)

006.thumb.jpg.76c8d5beae8f9f906152b953876f53b8.jpg

Turns more and more into a real beauty - P. rupicola.(from seed)

007.thumb.jpg.30980844db906256202cb19811c78b06.jpg

Growing steadily - B. alfredii.(from seed)

009.thumb.jpg.e284b40bc654e834c3aeadfdf5a2dd98.jpg

From one of my earliest seed orders - my beloved V. joannis. (The smaller four ones behind are D. lutescens, on the left two W. robusta.)

010.thumb.jpg.8c1cd7c04e715b8d14d39c1c2cb36e2c.jpg

From my very first seed order in Dec.2012, the first sprout of the batch after more than one year, potted and almost forgotten, 

put in the ground a couple of months ago - J. chilensis.

011.thumb.jpg.bd24571816e86fe775e5780a7835052e.jpg

It did not get significantly taller (one of the very few plants I could purchase at our local depot) but it definitely got bigger - I hope for the best -

H. forsteriana.

012.jpg.bf1cab6d6cf15294c48f8724a8ea470f.jpg

Slower than a glacier but definitely in a growing process (and now hopefully speeding up) - C. ponapense.(from seed)

013.thumb.jpg.e42bda78d01d4ee6614baca8787cf02c.jpg

Already a stunner at its young age - C. harlandii. (from seed)

014.jpg.764276bb23dea4e80e3a9227b47e3900.jpg

Took a big step this year - B. nickobarica. (from seed)

015.thumb.jpg.7538112b347829bffde64fabeba9488e.jpg

Showing enormous growth during the last year - Dictyosperma album var. aureum. (from seed)

016.jpg.63fbaa05004515cc2a1aefe87eaf184a.jpg

Put in the ground last spring and does really well so far - my Indian c. nucifera. (purchased as a dehusked coconut from an Indian supermarket in Tokyo

which imports its vegetables/fruits directly from India)

017.jpg.11e3845d117971c5cad03b11653d7d33.jpg

Not a real favorite of mine but it is always looking beautiful - H. lagenicaulis. I bought it as an already trunking plant that was still

potted in a few inches deep bowl - almost like a bonsai - I had to set it free... :wub:

018.thumb.jpg.96563190e366b0f587d03b76837ad1cd.jpg

..and it is pushing spear after spear all through the year.

019.thumb.jpg.9e973523aae17c2ef75b6be33f1224dd.jpg

Gaining size, slowly but steadily - C. mitis. (Purchased from our depot. Since I am a regular over there, I can tell, a one-time-offer

in ten years...)

021.jpg.bc1f04e69c85cc3554ff509d31c051da.jpg

Looks like it would never like to live somewhere else - D. decaryi. (Home depot purchase - same as above - 

a one-time-offer, I was glad to be there at the right time to grab the only two plants that were offered :P )

022.jpg.260ae95a3a26df35878aca9b51724208.jpg

A little jungle like - front left, an aggressively growing P. sylvestris, to the right and back ground center left, Alexander palms...

(all from seed)

023.thumb.jpg.fbe6c17344b9bf1a88af7f6c0ac57884.jpg

Sticking out, a stunningly beautiful frond from a V. joannis.

024.thumb.jpg.6da86eab07e518c68094961ace96faea.jpg

Here a palm, I simply lost track - among banana plants and others - it grows extremely well, but as mentioned, I have no clue...(from seed)

034.jpg.30d89944f5d34f1459f5b5df27728cef.jpg

Getting bigger and bigger, E. guineensis. (from seed)...

..and finally, I proudly present - 

030.JPG.4e84fb584f1ed30e1ed4ddf56f5ad8bb.JPG

...the probably first, successfully growing coconut on one of my c. nucifera.

Al right, the sun is going down -

033.thumb.JPG.ea4ea1f2e769c1570606c0ccf6615726.JPG

Thank you very much for your time - as always I have probably forgotten at least two or three plants - 

however, I hope you enjoyed the little tour - I`ll keep you updated -

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Great variety of palms. I have a special fondness for the various Clinostigma species -- I hope they continue to thrive for you.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You may be just the person who can finally help me!

I'm a cycad hobbyist  and have been a long time searching for a very small offset of the Cycas revoluta "Alba" also known as Shiroba-Sotetsu and Ougon-Sotetsu.  It has yellow or sulfur emergent leaves that gradually turn green over the next months as they harden.  I'm hoping you might be able to put me in touch with someone there where you live who could source a small offset for me.

It is native to Ryuku island.  Here's some examples:

21569250_349329328861399_9018816260808376320_n.thumb.jpg.1d1fe74e400ed477c0270d5c422b81de.jpgGoldenCycad640.jpg.bccd8e2ee795837fd2f071735472a3d1.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations ! You must be very happy to see all your seed grown palms thriving. Its funny that my very first palm seeds that I germinated just weeks after my arrival in Guatemala 30 years ago were V. joannis!  You will never regret growing these majestic palms.  

• Like 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

10 hours ago, Kim said:

Great variety of palms. I have a special fondness for the various Clinostigma species -- I hope they continue to thrive for you.

Kim, 

Thank you very much! 

Yes, I share your fondness for the Clinostigma species - I lost my heart to the Pacific region when I traveled to Western Samoa as a student...

Shortly after finding out about rps they had seeds from all those three species available - I was really lucky! I would love to get a hand on the

other (remaining) Clinostigma species - especially the one species from Japan: C. savoryanum - maybe I got to travel there by myself one day... ;) 

Kim, I will the forum updated!

10 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

What a great garden! Thank you for sharing!

Josue,

Thank you very much - I am glad you liked it!

I am following your posts as well -  really great work and all the best for your palm project at the zoo!

2 hours ago, GeneAZ said:

You may be just the person who can finally help me!

I'm a cycad hobbyist  and have been a long time searching for a very small offset of the Cycas revoluta "Alba" also known as Shiroba-Sotetsu and Ougon-Sotetsu.  It has yellow or sulfur emergent leaves that gradually turn green over the next months as they harden.  I'm hoping you might be able to put me in touch with someone there where you live who could source a small offset for me.

It is native to Ryuku island.  Here's some examples:

Gene,

I am on this island for almost ten years now and I have never seen those eye-catching cycads - ...and I usually scan the area all the time when moving around.

The photos you attached saying "Kume Guide" which refers to an island called Kumejima island - not really close to us. I have never been there before and do not

intend to go there in the near future... Maybe you can contact someone working as an ALT (Assistant language teacher for English) over there. The chance that

she or he is from the U.S. is pretty high, I would say.

I hope it helps for the moment.

1 hour ago, scottgt said:

Congratulations ! You must be very happy to see all your seed grown palms thriving. Its funny that my very first palm seeds that I germinated just weeks after my arrival in Guatemala 30 years ago were V. joannis!  You will never regret growing these majestic palms.  

Scott,

your kind words are really appreciated - thank you very much!

Yes, when I scrolled through the rps page for the first time, their images caught my eye immediately - seconds later the order was placed. But the best is, they grow so 

well over here - they are one of the fastest palms I have - so,  yes I am indeed really happy! :D

Btw., through palm talk I got aware of V. metiti, almost all of my ordered ten seeds have sprouted and they are until now (3 weeks old) extremely fast, too. It would be 

fantastic to get that species here established as well!

Best regards to all of you and thank you very much again -

Lars  

• Upvote 1

Lars,

Fantastic to see that all your palms are doing so well! :) And I would think that you should be able to acquire Clinostigma savoryanum as well, maybe from another PalmTalk member who happens to have fruiting specimens? For obvious reasons that's one palm I am sure will do extremely well in your location. :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo-Göran,

On 1/24/2019 at 7:58 PM, bgl said:

Lars,

Fantastic to see that all your palms are doing so well! :) 

Thank you very much! Especially the reddish-colored Dictyosperma album is at the moment enormously speeding up. At some moment - when looking at a planted out

species, I honestly think:"Well, now it really seems to be `connected`!"  (...in the meaning of getting finally familiar with its surrounding conditions and really starting to grow)

- which is probably the case with this one. I am really looking forward to see this one growing up.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:58 PM, bgl said:

And I would think that you should be able to acquire Clinostigma savoryanum as well, maybe from another PalmTalk member who happens to have fruiting specimens? For obvious reasons that's one palm I am sure will do extremely well in your location. :)

That`s a good advice, I will check it out! I guess, the C. savoryanum species is already waiting to put a footstep on Okinawian ground ;) 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Thanks for sharing your incredible garden!

Jim,

Thank  you very much!

Since most of my species are just about to start trunking, I guess the "real fun" will begin soon. I am really looking forward to it and I will let the forum know -

Bo-Göran, Jim - best regards

Lars

• Like 1

You have a beautiful garden. I am so impressed by the diversity of palms that you have grown from seeds. Thank you for sharing a view of your garden.

• Like 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Thanks for sharing pictures of your beautifull garden. Very interesting what you can grow there in south Japan.... but coconuts growing together with Cocos nucifera is a strange sight for me. In the future, please let us see how your Jubaea will thrive in your climate (BTW What are your maximum temperatures in summer?)

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

On 1/27/2019 at 11:44 PM, Tracy S said:

You have a beautiful garden. I am so impressed by the diversity of palms that you have grown from seeds. Thank you for sharing a view of your garden.

Tracy, 

you are welcome and thank you very much for your kind words!

When I started to grow palms I stayed with the local ones first, after finding "seedrack","rps" e.g. and especially after discovering palmtalk "the dam broke"...

Currently I am still trying to create a kind of canopy, after that I will put my focus on some under-story palms - I'll keep the forum updated!

8 hours ago, Alberto said:

Thanks for sharing pictures of your beautifull garden. 

Alberto, 

you are very welcome, too.

Just one thing:

8 hours ago, Alberto said:

.... but coconuts growing together with Cocos nucifera is a strange sight for me. In the future, please let us see how your Jubaea will thrive in your climate (BTW What are your maximum temperatures in summer?)

What do you mean? Did you mean Cocos nucifera together with Jubea? 

Well, the decision to order Jubea seeds was pure sentimentally - it is the first palm I came across as a kid and which burnt itself into my mind because of its sheer presence.

I had no clue if it would thrive over here - it is still young but went already pinate when it was potted, so it was just the next step to put in the ground. We will see, how 

it goes. If I got it right, there is a thread here on pt about Cocos nucifera and Jubea chilensis growing together on the Easter Islands on the most southern edge of 

the tropics in the South Pacific. We, here on Miyako in southern Okinawa are at the most northern tip of the tropical sphere of the Northern Pacific. Maybe there are

similarities in weather and climate that allows both to grow over here, too. Our max. temperatures are 35C/95F - of course there are one or more days with one

or two degrees higher - but usually we have summer temps around 32C/90F, not more. If you go further north, in Osaka or Tokyo you have easily 38C/100F

or more - but not here. That is all I can tell at the moment - updates will definitely follow.

Tracy, Alberto - with best regards from Okinawa

Lars

On 1/29/2019 at 1:48 AM, palmfriend said:

Alberto, 

you are very welcome, too.

Just one thing:

What do you mean? Did you mean Cocos nucifera together with Jubea? 

Thanks Lars.  Sorry! Yes, Cocos nucifera growing together with Jubaea.....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!