IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tabebuia species?

FishEyeAquaculture

I could use some assistance identifying, what I think, is a Tabebuia.  

-This tree(s) was located in a Publix parking lot in Venice, FL (Jacaranda Blvd/E. Venice Ave).

-Picture of flower and seed pod collected was in early October, that's what stood out to me, most Tabebuia that I am familiar with only bloom late-winter-spring (right now)

Any help would be appreciated, as I did manage to get some sprouts from this collection, thank you in advance!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

I could use some assistance identifying, what I think, is a Tabebuia.  

-This tree(s) was located in a Publix parking lot in Venice, FL (Jacaranda Blvd/E. Venice Ave).

-Picture of flower and seed pod collected was in early October, that's what stood out to me, most Tabebuia that I am familiar with only bloom late-winter-spring (right now)

Any help would be appreciated, as I did manage to get some sprouts from this collection, thank you in advance!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Yes, thinking Tabebuia heterophylla.. Easy from the seed you collected, just plant them asap.. Tab. seed generally has a short shelf life once ripe.

Somewhat slower than the more common sp. that drop their leaves / most foliage during the winter. Unlike those species, T. heterophylla can flower on and off all year.. came across many of these planted in some of the commercial landscapes around Bradenton when i lived in the area.  Great, small-ish tree. Possibly frost sensitive but can't recall by how much.. 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep, that's it!  Thank you @Silas_Sancona!

We have a couple T. chrysotricha and T. impetiginosus planted here on our property in Dade City, FL for the past 8 years, with the latter being the only one that got upset when temps dropped to the mid-20s.  Any idea if T. heterophylla can handle the same type of cold?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

Yep, that's it!  Thank you @Silas_Sancona!

We have a couple T. chrysotricha and T. impetiginosus planted here on our property in Dade City, FL for the past 8 years, with the latter being the only one that got upset when temps dropped to the mid-20s.  Any idea if T. heterophylla can handle the same type of cold?

Thinking exposure to upper / mid-20's would be real close to overall cold tolerance though @Eric in Orlando or @Jerry@TreeZoo  might chime in with their thoughts / personal observations regarding just how much cold it can tolerate. As i mentioned, i think it can take some cold.. say brief exposure to 28-29F.. but thinking prolonged exposure ( say several nights in a row) of temps below 27F might expose it to more potentially serious damage.. again though, i could be off by a few degrees.. Trees i observed  when i lived in Bradenton were located closer to the coast where *real* cold exposure during any such an event would be less impactful.  Dade City i'm sure can be a different beast entirely.. 

On a side note, a member who has been absent for awhile ( @fastfeat where ya' been?) started a discussion sometime back about locating a specimen of T. heterophylla down in Balboa Park's collection in San Diego.  Also thinking there might be a couple other specimens around the L.A. basin as well- if i remember correctly. 

As for T. impetiginosa, even though it will drop all ( or most) of it's foliage when exposed to frost /freeze.. they're successfully grown in colder spots around Phoenix, and down in Tucson ( extreme heat can be more  of an issue than any cold exposure here in the desert ) ..and in cooler spots around the S.F. Bay area ( planted a couple myself back in San Jose) ..and other cooler spots in CA w/out much issue, especially once bigger /older.  San Jose, especially away from downtown, can flirt with / occasionally get down to the lower 20's every so often. 

Have heard that forms which can be traced back to coming from trees in South America can be a little less cold tolerant vs. others sourced from the northern extant of this Tabebuia's range in  the ft. hill region surrounding Alamos, and just east of Hermosillo in Sonora Mexico.  Its'overall cold tolerance is supposed to be somewhere in the low 20's.. Same with T. chrysotricha,  and T. umbellata.  Tab's. chrysotricha and impetiginosa ( and some of the other Tabebuia) were re-classed into the Genus Handroanthus not too long ago.  

Hope that helps

-Nathan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is a more tender Tabebuia. I see them grown around here but they get severely damaged or killed back below 28-29F.

• Like 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 3 weeks later...

T.heterophylla are more tender than the now Handroanthus species.  I am the wrong guy to ask about cold tolerance because we get so few cold events here.  I think it was about 30 years ago it got down low enough to really test them.  Temps in the 40°s will discolor the leaves but the trees grow so fast they hardly notice.

• Like 3

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 2 months later...

Great blooms this year on my small Tabebuia (Hydroanthus) heptaphylla (orig. Gardino Nursery). Planting it in-ground in my zone 9 garden (mid to high 20's deg F) was a good decision a year ago. It gets minimal winter protection and is situated between my mule palms and a Jubaea, both of which I hope it eventually outgrows!

Tabebuia1.png

Tabebuia2.png

• Like 3

Mine took a beating in Jan 2018 when we had several hours at 28F . Fully defoliated and burned down to the ground ( from 15 ft overall height)  but came back from about 1 foot above ground level.  Nice recovery so far , should be a big pink ball by May 

34EF52C0-5958-41CF-A425-FB4D46D8006C.jpeg

5F7A5F2F-9D9C-40F1-AEC7-93657F55716F.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

Is this T. impetiginosus?

B6C78B23-CBF0-4E16-BDFD-12FF3B787A68.jpeg

0F567854-4F1D-4A15-A0F0-8AE9E9295466.jpeg

Yes,  nice specimen too..

• Like 3

It put on quite the show this year, but my favorite is what is does below the canopy. 

That particular tree fell right over during Irma, which broke my heart. Thankfully I was able to pull it back upright....it didn’t seem to negatively impact the tree at all

3B863211-9CB5-432B-ABFB-3BC06D67351E.jpeg

F64ECEC5-3B62-4403-9DF0-03D6CF75AF6C.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

The morning after Irma

391011E3-9933-4ADD-A83B-4E510DCEA937.jpeg

Wow, that's quite a sight.. I too would be in panic mode upon seeing this.. Glad you were able to get it back up, and that it suffered no set back.. Curious how easy /challenging it was to reorient?

As much as some people hate them, id be **insert your own word(s)** if the Mesquite out back ever came down. Esp. if that happened now or at any point thru the summer.. Pretty much the only natural shade i have here.. Does a better job of protecting stuff than putting it on our patio. ( patio / back yard faces west into full sun fury, lol )

My Hydroanthus (aka Tabebuia) heptaphylla continues its impressive blooming streak here in interior NorCal. Getting it out of a pot and into the ground has made all the difference, along with a relatively mild winter. Under ideal conditions this species can bloom more than once a year. Hope it forms seed pods this year.  Some info here: https://www.rareflora.com/tabebuiahep.html

TabebiaHeptaphylla.png

• Like 1

• 11 months later...