IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hitting a gold mine...

palmfriend

Hello everyone,

every time when I am going to our local botanical garden I enjoy taking a long look at our super tall

Satakentia liukiuensis.

01.thumb.jpg.b4a874fc12ce1baec9626e110f1ffbac.jpg

Sometimes I check the ground for seeds but since the timing of picking them up is very important

to get them sprouted - which I missed always so far - I usually do it more just for fun...

But this time was different. Approaching the palms I took my time to scan the area intensively...

06.thumb.JPG.6ebcdd6b02b401438de43dd9a477de1a.JPG

Nothing stands out at the first glance...

007.thumb.JPG.c7469c8d659a4adc67a7fafd7a9a5c56.JPG

...but then it hit me. Can you see it?

07.thumb.JPG.302e6c8e2d2a105796bc0efffda178f4.JPG

..and more!

03.thumb.jpg.b5ede93a076f7bccdabc41953ce03252.jpg

Oh my god! All those little guys! Asking myself, what is going to happen to them...? (Remember, I mentioned once that Satakentias are NEVER sold in our nurseries...)

I looked up and saw on old friend of mine who is working there for many years. I approached him and after some small talk - he knows that I am into palms -

I told him about these Satakentias and the countless young sprouts... He just looked at me and said: "Take them, pull them out, take them all - they`re all yours!

Because we maw them over if you don`t take them. We don`t need them. So feel free, go ahead anytime you like, this time, next time, whenever!" Well, expecting somehow to be

probably allowed to pull one of them out as a kind of friendly gesture among palm enthusiasts - I was speechless. It took a moment to proceed what was just said,

I looked at him: "Are you sure?!" - "Yes, 100%! Go ahead!"

Wow, I got to admit - that was intense! I thanked him cordially while still not being sure about what just happened and moved back to my car to grab

a small garden tool. It was not my intention to get this kind of approval, I was more feeling sorry for these little seedlings, wondering what will happen to them since

they never show up as plants to be sold or as plantings in the botanical garden...

Back to the spot I dealt with them is careful as possible...

08.thumb.JPG.f2f0d05f5ae3772ca7550d53aac363af.JPG

...and back home I went immediately to work.

09.thumb.JPG.692820a75d86fb1cee77c0af405c9a08.JPG

Here there are - Happy growing, little babies!

If they grow up successfully I am going to donate them to other parks/gardens or since Okinawa/Ryukyu is their home/habitat I am going to 

plant them out at a safe spot somewhere on this island to let them grow naturally - maybe they will get as tall as their parent plants which would be great and 

a thousand times better than to be mawed over.

So, from now on I got a new mission - after making sure my "approval" is still valid after entering the botanical garden the next time - I am going to keep an eye on

those beautiful Satakentias to make sure that their "kids" will get at least a fair chance!

Thank you for your time -

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 17
  • Upvote 7

Great score! The mowing would definitely have meant their end. Good luck with them. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Great job. Pulling seedlings out from under seeding trees is actually a great way to propagate this one. I dip the roots in fungicide before I pot them up, and get almost zero loss. I love your idea of checking the trees regularly as long as they allow you to do so. You can change the way your area looks by getting more of these beautiful palms out there. Keep up the good work.

Screenshot_20190122-033157.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Great score! The mowing would definitely have meant their end. Good luck with them. 

Jim,

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Since Satakentias are truly beautiful palms I cannot believe that no one is taking care of these sprouts, especially from those giant palms in our botanical garden.

However, now I am here and I am going to make sure that at least a few of them will get a decent chance to grow up successfully "somewhere" on this island.

Best regards -

Lars

On 1/22/2019 at 5:41 PM, kurt decker said:

Great job. Pulling seedlings out from under seeding trees is actually a great way to propagate this one. I dip the roots in fungicide before I pot them up, and get almost zero loss. I love your idea of checking the trees regularly as long as they allow you to do so. You can change the way your area looks by getting more of these beautiful palms out there. Keep up the good work.

Kurt,

Thank you very much!!

I will keep a close eye on these young seedlings - I am ready to provide anything that is necessary to get these babies grown up. I have tried to keep their roots as 

undisturbed as possible - nothing got broken as far as I can say - but future will tell. It is a learning process and I will do my very best to keep as many of them alive -

since I think that they simply deserve it. I`ll keep you updated!

Best regards

Lars

• Upvote 1

these are such beautiful palms! Congrats on your new babies!

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

How fortunate for you. Hope they do well for you.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

10 hours ago, Kim said:

these are such beautiful palms! Congrats on your new babies!

Kim, 

thank you very much!

Yes, they truly are! I am going to do my best - updates will follow.

9 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Good luck with your Satake babies! :greenthumb:

It is the same matter in their habitat: You can find lots of seedlings everywhere, but no (viable) seeds:

Pal,

Thank you very much!

Their short viability is probably the reason for their non-existence in our nurseries and home depot - it seems 

that no one is willing to take the time to keep a constant eye on them and to be there when the seeds fall off. 

However, I have got two plants established in my garden two years ago - I got lucky ONE TIME with some

collected seeds - so, I am going to study them closely and I am looking forward to it!

6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

How fortunate for you. Hope they do well for you.

Meg,

Thank you very much!

Yes, I am happy and very thankful for this opportunity. I will do my best to provide optimum conditions for them.

With best regards to all of you -

Lars