IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Expanding the palm collection at the Chaffee Zoo

Josue Diaz

I recently met with the head of operations at the Chaffee Zoo in Fresno about expanding the palm collection at the zoo. The zoo itself, and Roeding Park where it is located, have a very nice collection of palms already, but they are very open to allowing me to help plan new exhibits and incorporate palms.

I'll be meeting with them again soon to hash out more details, but needless to say, i'm beyond thrilled. Their rainforest exhibit has such a favorable microclimate that they have fruiting bananas that are untouched by cold or wind.  The director said that they help regulate temperatures in there to protect the birds from cold - with heat lamps in winter and constant misting in summer. This would be perfect place to plant marginal species that prefer some humidity. 

This is a list of palms I'll be donating and helping to site and plant.

Dypsis leptocheilos x2

Hyphanae coriacae

Parajubaea cocoides - donated by Darold of San Francisco 

Beccariophoenix alfredii - donated by Jeff in Modesto 

Livistona speciosa 

Jubaea Chilensis - Donated by Xiong in Fresno

Syagrus coronata 

Phoenix rupicola - donated by Darold in San Francisco 

Caryota urena 

Some of these have been donated by IPS members on this forum. If anyone has plants they'd like to donate send me a PM and we could figure out a way to get them to Fresno. 

i'm the meantime, here are a few pictures I took during a walking tour. I'll hope to take more and post them soon. 

The entrance has a large clump Strelitzia. It's one of the most used plants throughout their landscaping. 

20190120_094853.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Roeding park has some very, very old washingtonia and phoenix. There are several brahea (edulis and armata), sabal and butia here also but I didn't get pictures of them. These trees are all over 100 years old.

Screenshot_20190121-175727_Gallery.thumb.jpg.489e5f15ab9fbeb9c921070f1398164c.jpg

Inside the zoo, you're greeted by a row of majestic Phoenix canariensis. This lawn area beneath the phoenix will be home to a new palm garden. 

Screenshot_20190121-175616_Gallery.thumb.jpg.65aeb14ad2da78f34c05fde9f4396046.jpg

This other area is under construction and will hopefully also includes more palms. 

Screenshot_20190121-175640_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f54cdb3daefe221adec6eed3373e4b89.jpg

This phoenix and brahea are inside one of the exhibits. 

Screenshot_20190121-175652_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fb0397af18a31095f3c48204398c4ad7.jpg

My personal favorite part was this! One of two Jubaea chilensis in Fresno. There are brahea armata here also on the left, a very, very old sabal palmetto, livistona decora and syagrus romanzoffiana.

Screenshot_20190121-175703_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fd70be64624648693e9a405e5bfabd70.jpg

Screenshot_20190121-175714_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d8d77ff33138e1193abe16a1be049bbc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

@Josue Diaz Is there a list of palms that you would like to donate but do not currently have?

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

12 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Josue Diaz Is there a list of palms that you would like to donate but do not currently have?

That's a great question lol. Anthing that would do well in a dry, zone 9b climate really - I will be trying to source any and all species to curate as full of a collection as I can - Brahea species, Syagrus species, Lytocaryum species, Butia, Archontophoenix, Dypsis (decipiens especially.) I will have access to the greenhouse so I will be able to use it to propagate and grow species to a size before planting out.

Zone 10a palms would do well also, inside some of the protected enclosures (like the rainforest exhibit I mentioned above). I'll be looking for Archonotphoenix, Chamaedorea, Chambeyronia, Dypsis, Arenga... etc. There is a Howea forsteriana inside that exhibit already.  I'll be looking for Bismarkia to add a cluster of them to the African elephant enclosure. 

• Like 2

After I meet again with them, I'll be creating an inventory of what is there already and then creating a comprehensive list of species that I'd like to add. But in general, any of those listed above I'd be looking for. 

• Like 2

I have a 15 gallon parajubaea sunka that I would be willing to donate. I dug it up last year and is doing great. Just need a way to get it up to Fresno. Let me know. 

Bryan

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

I have a 15 gallon parajubaea sunka that I would be willing to donate. I dug it up last year and is doing great. Just need a way to get it up to Fresno. Let me know. 

Bryan

Dude that's awesome. I'll hit you up once I get all situated and start planning things out. 

Very cool! I have a few botanical gardens here that I'm donating palms to. You should try some Ceroxylon if you get a chance!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

Very cool! I have a few botanical gardens here that I'm donating palms to. You should try some Ceroxylon if you get a chance!

Ah I wish. Ceroxylon don't like it here. It's far too hot this far inland.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Ah I wish. Ceroxylon don't like it here. It's far too hot this far inland.

I've heard that C. parvum has a bit more heat tolerance than the rest, but you'd know your climate better. Either way those are some good species that you're donating!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Dude that's awesome. I'll hit you up once I get all situated and start planning things out. 

Sounds good just let me know. 

@Josue Diaz there's always a P tor tor, too

Come and git it!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:37 PM, DoomsDave said:

@Josue Diaz there's always a P tor tor, too

Come and git it!

I will take you up on that Dave! Expect a visit from me in the next few months :P