IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea peeling

Zifool

Hi all,

I've recept yesterday some parajubaea seeds but i need to peel them.

I've tried it so hard somebody have tips to do it easy ?

Thank a lot ! ^_^

32924552928_099a9d2b86_b.jpg

other tip for germination ? soil ? method ? temperature ?

Edited by Zifool
  • Upvote 1

The 'simplest' method that worked for me, was to put them in a sealable bag with some sugar water, and throw in a few banana skins. Before you do that, get a sharp knife and score each seed in 3 places from end to end. Store them somewhere warm for a couple of months, after which time you'll be able to get your fingers into the soft fruit and tear off the fibres. It's still a laborious job. I cleaned 100 seeds this way, and had to complete the task over a couple of days as the boredom became too much!

I didn't worry too much about the pulp fragments trapped in the seed coat, but you can use a wire brush to clean them up as best as possible.

As for germination, I've been following some advice I found on the PACSOA website: http://www.pacsoa.org.au/wiki/Parajubaea_germination

I'm varying my technique a little. I dry stored mine for a month, and now have them in a very lightly moist and friable soil mix. I'll keep them like this at the same cool temperature until March before surface sowing them and ramping up the heat during the day. I'm counting on them synchronizing with the seasons!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Try John' technique.  Peeling the husk off now while green would be extremely tedious.

San Francisco, California

On 1/21/2019 at 9:05 AM, Zifool said:

Have u any idéa about water quantity ?

For my 100 seeds, I used about 2 cups of boiling water, into which I dissolved 2 tablespoons of sugar. It's not scientific at all, so just go with your instinct. The idea is to shake the bag every few days or weeks so that the seeds remain wet, but not submerged. The fruit should start decomposing after about 3 to 4 weeks. When they start to turn yellow, with a strong fermentation smell, you should be able to dig your thumbnail into the fruit. The longer you leave them in this state, the easier they become to peel. 

On 1/20/2019 at 3:34 AM, Zifool said:

Hi all,

I've recept yesterday some parajubaea seeds but i need to peel them.

Very nice!  Are you trying Parajubaea sunkha?

Jon Sunder

12 hours ago, Fusca said:

Very nice!  Are you trying Parajubaea sunkha?

No,

I tried this :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-parajubaea-torallyi-var-macrocarpa-seeds-rare-palm-tree/153346179895?hash=item23b4250337:g:WCIAAOSwkIdbuOmz:rk:1:pf:0

Somebody confirm it is macrocarpa seed's ?

Edited by Zifool

You can also put them in a brown paper bag & leave them in a dry place for a few months. After that they are very easy to clean. I do that with seeds all the time. put them in a paper bag & leave them in the garage for a month or two.