IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seeds available

PalmatierMeg

A few months ago I posted a topic about my bodacious Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant I originally purchased from well-regarded Plant Delights Nursery in NC, so I know it is the real thing. See link below to view that topic:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/

At the time I posted that topic the palm was loaded with green seeds and I asked if anyone would be interested in them later. I got quite a few responses so I let the seeds ripen and now have quite a few harvested and ready for new homes.

Normally, I sell seeds only within the continental US but I had responses from several European PTers so I will make an exception. But - if you live in Europe (or Australia) be aware that US postage for even a small 1 oz. package of seeds is astronomical, more than the cost of the seeds themselves. Also understand that I must fill out a US Customs form online with the US Gov't declaring the contents of any pkg and I cannot/will not lie. Finally, know the customs of your own country: some countries are easygoing about palm seeds from FL, others will seize seeds, destroy them, even hold them for ransom. If your customs seizes your seeds, I can't replace them or refund your money. 

All that said, please see summary below:

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seeds: 50 for $10.00

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seeds: 100 for $15.00

Shipping in padded envelope: $4.00 in continental US (Sabal seeds illegal in HI)

International shipping in padded envelope: $15.00 for up to 100 seeds with US Customs declaration

Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks and regards

See photos below of seeds and mother palm.

Sabal_minor_Emerald_Isle_Giant_seeds_01_01-02-19.thumb.JPG.1a66e0e7527c19ca4df975ce93c98ea6.JPG

Sabal_minor_Emerald_Isle_Giant_01_10-11-18.thumb.jpg.90db2b7f524fc403a06e023b99493266.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I live just 3 miles from Emerald Isle and these grow all over, here, in certain habitats. Those habitats being in salt marsh, along fresh water creeks and rivers, in swamps,  and even in higher dry woodland. Some of those habitats have hundreds growing in masses covering large areas. They are  capable  of growing in almost all conditions but prefer well drained soil with plenty of water available and soil on the rich side. They grow in deep sand and even mud in the wild. They like sun or shade but are found mostly in shade. A mix of both is ideal. In shade the leaf petiole will stretch  a little making the overall height taller.. They grow fast if given typical palm cultivation and will eventually put on a short FAT trunk, although that will take a while. In 1985 they saw our 150 year low of 0F one night followed by +2F the next night with the day in between at +16F. There were also other days that got very low in temp around that time.  Last winter we got well over 130 Hours straight without  temps going above 32F. This is unheard of here, though, as 99% of all our winter days at least get above freezing.with most in the 40's at the least. More typical lows here are 15F to 20F as winter lows. I have never seen any cold damage. They are one tough palm. Get em while you can.

Edited by Jeff zone 8 N.C.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

I live just 3 miles from Emerald Isle and these grow all over, here, in certain habitats. Those habitats being in salt marsh, along fresh water creeks and rivers, in swamps,  and even in higher dry woodland. Some of those habitats have hundreds growing in masses covering large areas. They are  capable  of growing in almost all conditions but prefer well drained soil with plenty of water available and soil on the rich side. They grow in deep sand and even mud in the wild. They like sun or shade but are found mostly in shade. A mix of both is ideal. In shade the leaf petiole will stretch  a little making the overall height taller.. They grow fast if given typical palm cultivation and will eventually put on a short FAT trunk, although that will take a while. In 1985 they saw our 150 year low of 0F one night followed by +2F the next night with the day in between at +16F. There were also other days that got very low in temp around that time.  Last winter we got well over 130 Hours straight without  temps going above 32F. This is unheard of here, though, as 99% of all our winter days at least get above freezing.with most in the 40's at the least. More typical lows here are 15F to 20F as winter lows. I have never seen any cold damage. They are one tough palm. Get em while you can.

Thanks for the heads up on their natural habitat.  I have a bed set aside strictly for cold hardy varieties of sabal minor.  It's going to be interesting to see what comes out of that bed seed-wise.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 1 month later...

Already, the babies are starting.  22 so far.  Money well spent!  Thank you Meg!

20190227_175346_SabalMinor.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Seeds are SOLD!

Meg

Florida

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Any seeds for this year?

None. They aborted and I don't know why. Maybe more late this year.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

This variety is notable for the intense blue-green of its coloration. How intense varies with atmospheric conditions. The day I took those photos was cloudy, rainy, almost foggy, which really made the blue pop out. On sunny days the color tends toward the green spectrum but still with hints of blue.

Meg

Florida

• 9 months later...

I got a batch of these from Meg last year and they are growing very well and look fantastic. They are large one-gallon-size plants at the moment and already have that great blue color. I could almost say they are faster growing than typical S. minor, but I think they have already bottomed-out in the pot; causing them to shoot up faster.

Only problem I have had with them is with dreaded squirrels... Ugh. I had to build a protection cage for them.

Ryan

• Like 3

South Florida

This form is synonymous with the Cape Hatteras ecotype according to Gary Hollar.  Gary was with Tony Advent when he collected seeds and decided that day he would be offering them for sale as the 'Emerald Isle Giant' ecotype.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I’m very interested in this variety, any chance that you have some seeds available this year?

Stefan

43 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

I’m very interested in this variety, any chance that you have some seeds available this year?

Stefan

I don’t ship seeds outside the US

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

16 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I don’t ship seeds outside the US

Ok, no problem. If you ever change your mind please PM ;)